Minor complaints thread (30 Viewers)

Bad news for you

I'm moving to Connaught. Aka, the real Ireland.

I've a MICA redress scheme for you Make Ireland Connaught Again!
SUPER-BOGGER-AARON-MONAGHAN-1.jpg

a wider section of society (ie not just the poorest/most isolated) still spoke the language (ie wales, Catalonia)

Read a book recently, granted it was Simon Kuper's book on FC Barcelona but there was quite a bit of cultural history, that said in the city anyway traditionally the language was spoken by "la burgesia" as a way of imposing a social hierarchy in the city, which attracted workers from all over Spain. The power and wealth in the city was held by old money catalan families of many generations and that's what they spoke and some interloper might come from elsewhere and do well but they'd never be a person of real influence in the city.

Probably a different story in the rural parts of the region.

€50 for a knock off Walkman that looks like it’ll last more than 3 weeks.
I’m missing Argos for shit like this.
Some of these are going for over €700.
I don’t know if this is a complaint or “you know you’re getting old”.

Read a book recently, granted it was Simon Kuper's book on FC Barcelona but there was quite a bit of cultural history, that said in the city anyway traditionally the language was spoken by "la burgesia" as a way of imposing a social hierarchy in the city, which attracted workers from all over Spain. The power and wealth in the city was held by old money catalan families of many generations and that's what they spoke and some interloper might come from elsewhere and do well but they'd never be a person of real influence in the city.

Probably a different story in the rural parts of the region.
Bands / activists from Barcelona I have read interviews since 1990's have always said similar things.
A lot of Catalan nationalism is centre right, the elite in Catalunya like the idea of running their own country and people I respect want something much better than wasting their time on that.

Bands / activists from Barcelona I have read interviews since 1990's have always said similar things.
A lot of Catalan nationalism is centre right, the elite in Catalunya like the idea of running their own country and people I respect want something much better than wasting their time on that.

anecdotally, having had friends/girlfriend from that part of the world I always found there was a chauvinistic edge to the catalan nationalism - very much a sense of an 'in' and 'out' group even within those from catalunya. (data free personal observation....), the nature of nationalism being what it is thats probably not unique though...

That said, during the civil war it was the arnacho-syndacalists running the show, and that resistance to central rule is something that seems to be celebrated to a lesser or greater extent.

In general I'm big on the principal of self determination. I've got no real instinctive feeling on whether Catalunya should be independent, but I think that the people there should have a choice about it.

But I have found some arguments that have been made by Catalan nationalists, like "we're a rich area why should we prop up other poor parts of Spain" to be less than compelling.

I have met people from there who are of a rural commie family background, I don't imagine that's an argument they'd make.

Last edited:
anecdotally, having had friends/girlfriend from that part of the world I always found there was a chauvinistic edge to the catalan nationalism - very much a sense of an 'in' and 'out' group even within those from catalunya. (data free personal observation....), the nature of nationalism being what it is thats probably not unique though...

That said, during the civil war it was the arnacho-syndacalists running the show, and that resistance to central rule is something that seems to be celebrated to a lesser or greater extent.
Exactly. The CNT (anarchists who ran Catalunya circa 1937) in Spanish civil war were fighting for something much bigger than independence.

Nationalism always trumps class politics in national liberation movements.

RTE Drivetime's Cormac OhEeadhra at the end of a 7 minute piece on the Tory party, Rwanda, Rishi versus Suella and a good ol' Westminster gossip like two ol' lads in a Picadilly member's Club
"I don't know what it says about me, but I'm always enthralled by internal Tory politics"

I know what it says about you, Cormac

Worth mentioning that the UK government is currently offering billions of pounds to bribe/kick-start Stormont power sharing, and this important piece of national news received zero coverage on Drivetime (that I could tell).
But we had a piece yesterday on the UK Covid enquiry.

Again (because I'm a pain in the arse), we treat the North like a foreign country and England like it's a big brother. And I don't like it.

Exactly. The CNT (anarchists who ran Catalunya circa 1937) in Spanish civil war were fighting for something much bigger than independence.

Nationalism always trumps class politics in national liberation movements.

Not always. Vietnam from 1945-75 is an example of it moving in the other direction if anything.

RTE Drivetime's Cormac OhEeadhra at the end of a 7 minute piece on the Tory party, Rwanda, Rishi versus Suella and a good ol' Westminster gossip like two ol' lads in a Picadilly member's Club
"I don't know what it says about me, but I'm always enthralled by internal Tory politics"

I know what it says about you, Cormac

Worth mentioning that the UK government is currently offering billions of pounds to bribe/kick-start Stormont power sharing, and this important piece of national news received zero coverage on Drivetime (that I could tell).
But we had a piece yesterday on the UK Covid enquiry.

Again (because I'm a pain in the arse), we treat the North like a foreign country and England like it's a big brother. And I don't like it.

Yeah yer right.
But I find it easier to relate to places elsewhere than Ireland or N.I.
People are people wherever they come from and I would have weak ethnic affiliation.

If an Irish person or Pakistani said the same thing I always put more creedence what the foreign guy said.

I don't care about parts of Ireland I have no connection with anymore than I do about places 10,000 miles away.
If a load of people lose their jobs in Kerry or Donegal does it make anymore difference than if it happened France or Poland?

Often when I explain N.I. stuff to folks abroad I start off in the late 60's and forget to tell them what led up to that over the previous eight centuries (sorry).

When I lived in co. Wexford until digital TV came in TV picked up the Welsh regional channels instead of N.I. ones.

I once heard a black guy from rural Alabama say Fleetwood Mac was his father's favourite band. Why?
There were no black radio stations in rural Alabama.

Yeah yer right.
But I find it easier to relate to places elsewhere than Ireland or N.I.
People are people wherever they come from and I would have weak ethnic affiliation.

If an Irish person or Pakistani said the same thing I always put more creedence what the foreign guy said.

I don't care about parts of Ireland I have no connection with anymore than I do about places 10,000 miles away.
If a load of people lose their jobs in Kerry or Donegal does it make anymore difference than if it happened France or Poland?

Often when I explain N.I. stuff to folks abroad I start off in the late 60's and forget to tell them what led up to that over the previous eight centuries (sorry).

When I lived in co. Wexford until digital TV came in TV picked up the Welsh regional channels instead of N.I. ones.

I once heard a black guy from rural Alabama say Fleetwood Mac was his father's favourite band. Why?
There were no black radio stations in rural Alabama.
I care more about peace and prosperity on this island than I care about how the Spectator magazine and the Tory party run Britain
I just wish that was a more common view

But you can't have everything, can you?

I care more about peace and prosperity on this island than I care about how the Spectator magazine and the Tory party run Britain

Don't have much interest in Britain (except for football) for a long time.
Rarely buy music from there in last 30 years either.
The way the UK media character assassinated Jeremy Corbyn and supported Johnson through all sorts of bigotry, incompetence and corruption says it all.

you know... maybe, just maybe its possible to have an interest in british politics AND the peace, prosperity and general welfare of ireland?

Its not Blur vs. Oasis

you know... maybe, just maybe its possible to have an interest in british politics AND the peace, prosperity and general welfare of ireland?

Its not Blur vs. Oasis
People in the South, particularly Dublin, have voted with their attention spans on this

Drivetime don't favour UK news over NI news just cos they all love All things British in Montrose - they do - but because they know that's what people largely have a preference for.
Same with Brendan O'Connor doing segments on the British Royal family. It's because there's a huge appetite for it.

Again, all well and good. We're a nation with a huge population of anglophiles. West Brits. Jackeens. Whatever you want to call it.
We just don't seem to admit it to ourselves; how much the English enthrall us and how it's all a one-way attention stream.
Maybe I'm nuts, or just because I'm so disinterested in Englishness. But once you see it, you see it everywhere.

People in the South, particularly Dublin, have voted with their attention spans on this

Drivetime don't favour UK news over NI news just cos they all love All things British in Montrose - they do - but because they know that's what people largely have a preference for.
Same with Brendan O'Connor doing segments on the British Royal family. It's because there's a huge appetite for it.

Again, all well and good. We're a nation with a huge population of anglophiles. West Brits. Jackeens. Whatever you want to call it.
We just don't seem to admit it to ourselves; how much the English enthrall us and how it's all a one-way attention stream.
Maybe I'm nuts, or just because I'm so disinterested in Englishness. But once you see it, you see it everywhere.
For what it's worth I agree 100% with the gist of your argument and am surprised anyone would disagree. It might make us uncomfortable but it's true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back