Minor complaints thread (20 Viewers)

FOUND IT! wanted to post this a few times over the years.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Poor prick
Tormented by a nagging wife straight out of sitcom hell
And then harangued by a condescending voice over guy doing his best impression of an Old Testament God

Also, fuck cats

Someone in teh running group is organising a 5k for Palestine this month

And there are fucking crickets in teh comments

Really disappointing

seeing more and more people in the work Slack with little israel flags beside their name.

so tempted to stick a Palestinian one beside mine only I wouldn't last pissing time in the job if I did.

(yes, the capital P and small 'i' were intentional)
Suggesting Palestinian people have rights is antisemitic.

And even if it wasn't antisemitic, which it is, bad things happened to these other Jewish people 80 years ago, which means Israel can do bad stuff to people now.

Which they aren't, obviously, and suggesting they might be is antisemitic, but hypothetically if they were they'd be allowed to, because of what happened 80 years ago.

Sardines update. Ate them last night. Went with the double recommendations of having them on toast and waiting until I was ABSOLUTLEY STARVING.

Got 'em down. But it's not a road I fancy travelling again soon. They tasted fine enough, but the visuals and overall cold, fat, fishiness of it all was not appealing.

Sardines update. Ate them last night. Went with the double recommendations of having them on toast and waiting until I was ABSOLUTLEY STARVING.

Got 'em down. But it's not a road I fancy travelling again soon. They tasted fine enough, but the visuals and overall cold, fat, fishiness of it all was not appealing.
Barrel in some malt vinegar, black pepper, and hot sauce.
Mash them all up until they're like a pate kinda deal.
Apply fish gunge to crispy toast.

Here, can someone who understands economics explain how Ireland having a Sovereign Wealth fund is appropriate?

The country is still fairly fucked. Not 80s fucked, but several generations of colonial abuse followed by zero cash for another couple of generations fucked.

The point being, we have no functioning housing system, no functioning public transport system, fuck all infrastructure, and just the general results of a chronically bankrupt country are clear to see.

A Sovereign Wealth fund is saying: here's money, I'm going to invest it in something that I believe will have a good return. Could be anywhere, that's their point, they just are devices to make money from money.

And my point is, why not invest that money in Ireland, directly. Why don't we say we believe that investing in proper high density housing in the capital, and servicing that with public transport, will provide a return in investment that will generate money. As in, why don't we believe in ourselves being able to make money, as opposed to some prick in wherever the Sovereign Wealth fund puts it.

I'm asking here, because I don't understand economics I'm assuming.

Here, can someone who understands economics explain how Ireland having a Sovereign Wealth fund is appropriate?

The country is still fairly fucked. Not 80s fucked, but several generations of colonial abuse followed by zero cash for another couple of generations fucked.

The point being, we have no functioning housing system, no functioning public transport system, fuck all infrastructure, and just the general results of a chronically bankrupt country are clear to see.

A Sovereign Wealth fund is saying: here's money, I'm going to invest it in something that I believe will have a good return. Could be anywhere, that's their point, they just are devices to make money from money.

And my point is, why not invest that money in Ireland, directly. Why don't we say we believe that investing in proper high density housing in the capital, and servicing that with public transport, will provide a return in investment that will generate money. As in, why don't we believe in ourselves being able to make money, as opposed to some prick in wherever the Sovereign Wealth fund puts it.

I'm asking here, because I don't understand economics I'm assuming.
But if you solved all of those problems, then how could anyone make any money off them?

I absolutely love fresh sardines, but have gone right off the tinned variety. My high-protein fishy snack of choice at the minute is pickled herrings from the Polish shop

several generations of colonial abuse
The brits have been gone for a hundred years, any of our problems are very much our own fault at this stage

The reason we have a sovereign wealth fund is someone took a notion that it'd be a good idea (maybe for the country, maybe for their career), and convinced other people to go along with them. That's how politics works, right? There's no Wise Old Elf sitting in Leinster House filtering out each cock-eyed proposal using science

The brits have been gone for a hundred years, any of our problems are very much our own fault at this stage

The reason we have a sovereign wealth fund is someone took a notion that it'd be a good idea (maybe for the country, maybe for their career), and convinced other people to go along with them. That's how politics works, right? There's no Wise Old Elf sitting in Leinster House filtering out each cock-eyed proposal using science

You're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. I thought I was fairly clearly saying that there's been a long history, hundreds of years, pre and post Brits, of brokenness. I'm specifically not blaming the Brits for everything. Also, I've the same point with regarding the Brit blaming thing with for example reforestation.

And from the perspective of wealth and infrastructure it's completely reasonable to bring up one hundred year old colonial history. Infrastructure remains. Have a look former colonial powers who aren't as wealthy today, take Portugal or Budapest, their big cities still have that former wealth clearly visible today.

Regardless, I'd hope that there would be someone filtering out cock eyed proposals. And I haven't heard anyone suggesting that a Sovereign Wealth fund is in any way controversial. Everyone seems to be for the idea.

Regardless, I'd hope that there would be someone filtering out cock eyed proposals. And I haven't heard anyone suggesting that a Sovereign Wealth fund is in any way controversial. Everyone seems to be for the idea.
I'd guess the reason people are for it is it's prudent financial policy for an individual writ large. Most financial advisors will tell you to have 6 months income stashed someplace in case the shit hits the fan

There was an argument I read a couple of years ago that with credit being so cheap at the time Ireland should borrow as much as it can for a wealth fund.

ok - I'm reading about the specifics or the investment patterns of this fund. It is in fact investing (completely?) in Irish related endeavors, namely ones that are related to climate, Housing, Businesses, and Food / Agriculture.

So this isn't what I thought it was doing, I thought it was like funds like Singapore, Norway etc, where they invest internationally. It isn't like that. Crisis averted.

I'd guess the reason people are for it is its prudent financial policy for an individual writ large. Most financial advisors will tell you to have 6 months income stashed someplace in case the shit hits the fan

It's conservatism 101;

Fuck paying for infrastructure and services from government coffers.

Let's squirrel away the money to make more money that we'll keep for non essential rich people bollox

ok - I'm reading about the specifics or the investment patterns of this fund. It is in fact investing (completely?) in Irish related endeavors, namely ones that are related to climate, Housing, Businesses, and Food / Agriculture.

So this isn't what I thought it was doing, I thought it was like funds like Singapore, Norway etc, where they invest internationally. It isn't like that. Crisis averted.

Oh

Ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back