midlake appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

I'm stizzoked for the show but the new lp is giving me trouble.

Anyone else drinking beer and smoking joints yet?

C'MON PEOPLE!!!!!

It hammers home how samey a lot of tracks on the new album are though. They should have maybe mixed the set up a little more.

And not a single song pre-Van Occupanther. That was disappointing.

But a really good gig overall. I didn't like their Head Home, but the other VO stuff was great, especially the mad Woods-y intro to Roscoe. And I still really like the new album, even if it is lame.

It hammers home how samey a lot of tracks on the new album are though. They should have maybe mixed the set up a little more.

But a really good gig overall. I didn't like their Head Home, but the other VO stuff was great, especially the mad Woods-y intro to Roscoe. And I still really like the new album, even if it is lame.

Yeah, I'm still struggling with the new one too. I think they have left the older old stuff behind them. Its a very different sound. The audience was mad for the Van stuff. The version of Branches they did for the encore was lovely!

Great gig! Those guys are accomplished performers. Especially on the vocals. Have to get the new album

It was a good gig.Wonderful harmonizing but I was'nt mad for the guitar solos.They were a bit old hat.All in all a very enjoyable concert.

they're a lot more chilled out than they were last time they were here. They were grumpy out back then.

but apparrently they were unhappy with how few turned up for that gig. Eric made a joke about it last night.

Also, that support act was very good.

Strongly agree with Scutter on this one re: the new album - it is very samey and songs tend to merge into one. I'm still giving it time though, but it doesn't grab me as a set of songs, nowhere near as strong as VO; but I like individual tunes.
Thought the gig was ok, bit dull and MOR Rawk in places; hated those extended guitar "jams" - Yuck. Roscoe was great and Branches was a lovely and fitting encore.

What was the story with the bar being closed for a half hour while Midlake were playing, the gards showing up and the bartenders clearing all the punters out of the toilets? Rumour was a bomb scare, but the crowd didn't look like the typical, 'I've got a bomb here mister' crowd.

New album sounds like they ran out of songs and settled on hippy jams. The gig proved that. I prefer the first album with its low-fi electronic-y pop meanderings.

I enjoyed myself and thought the VO stuff sounded great. Still, there were a few times when I thought I'd accidentally walked into a Phish concert and I couldn't help thinking that:

a. The gig was more aimed at people like my Dad
b. The lads wouldn't be much craic to have a few jars with.

Drugs bust is what i heard, but who knows. I got stuck outside at one point, going to the loo, which the guards wouldn't let me into, and had to wait for doors to reopen to get back in to see the band.! Few heads near us were giving some stick to the staff, until the bouncers silenced them.

Agree with you on the gig too. Thought the previous Village gig from few years ago was much better.

After hanging out all evening drinking beers and listening to mad punk shit,the Yank stuck on Midlakes last lp..Man I didnt get that lp when it came out..I reckon I checked it out 3 times...in the car(bad move)and then just fucked it aside..I remember thinking it was a bit of a dirge...But man alive I've changed me tune!!Its fucking epic out the wazoo....I'm gonna start playing it around my nipper on heavy rotation..she might soak up some of the musicality of this band........and it made me reappraise how great they are live..because the tunes on this lp they did, although unfamiliar at the time rocked to folk........

edit.When it wasnt Van Occupanther part 2 I trashed it..I doubt I'm the only one...groovy baby

After hanging out all evening drinking beers and listening to mad punk shit,the Yank stuck on Midlakes last lp..Man I didnt get that lp when it came out..I reckon I checked it out 3 times...in the car(bad move)and then just fucked it aside..I remember thinking it was a bit of a dirge...But man alive I've changed me tune!!Its fucking epic out the wazoo....I'm gonna start playing it around my nipper on heavy rotation..she might soak up some of the musicality of this band........and it made me reappraise how great they are live..because the tunes on this lp they did, although unfamiliar at the time rocked to folk........

edit.When it wasnt Van Occupanther part 2 I trashed it..I doubt I'm the only one...groovy baby

agreed man. Its deadly. Roll on Cork!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back