MICAH P HINSON w support RETRIBUTION GOSPEL CHOIR - CrawDaddy Oct 30th. (1 Viewer)

miguel_myriad

* Tickets on sale at 9am on Wednesday September 3rd *

The stunning Micah P Hinson is back with a new collection of sparse, yet beautiful country songs, delivered in his inexplicably timeworn burr.

Supporting Micah is the Retribution Gospel Choir which features Alan Sparhawk from Low. They released their self-titled debut this spring.

POD Concerts presents

MICAH P HINSON
Support: Retribution Gospel Choir

Thursday October 30th

CrawDaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm

Tickets €16 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.micahphinson.com
www.myspace.com/micahphinson
www.retributiongospelchoir.com
www.myspace.com/retributiongospelchoir

Micah P Hinson has known trouble. Raised in Abilene, Texas, as a teenager he became addicted to painkillers. In early 2000, he was caught forging prescriptions and sent to county jail, losing his car, his home, his money and all his possessions. By the age of 20, Hinson was a bankrupt ex-con, living in a motel and working in telemarketing. But as news of this gifted singer-songwriter began to spread on the strength of his 2004 debut album, …And The Gospel Of Progress, a tap on the back from a friend on a night out bizarrely resulted in a dislocated vertebrae – and more pain medication.

…And The Red Empire Orchestra – his latest and greatest collection of sparse, yet beautiful country songs, delivered in his inexplicably timeworn burr – is the record that almost wasn’t. The now-27-year-old returned from touring his second album …And The Opera Circuit, with chronic back pain from complications to his slipped disc and worsening health. Afterwards, it was clear something had to give – Hinson returned to Austin, Texas with plans to take a year off, writing new songs occasionally in between visits to doctors.

As time passed, Hinson began contemplating his next move; the life of a touring musician was becoming a memory and, though he was concerned about losing his public, he was unsure when – or how – to make the next move. One day, a letter arrived from producer / engineer John Congleton (The Polyphonic Spree, Explosions in the Sky, Black Mountain, Antony and the Johnsons) expressing interest in working with Hinson, and it proved to be a pivotal moment for the Texan trouble man.

“This letter pulled me out of the rut I had found myself in,” says Hinson. “Once I got this letter, something felt right and I knew the calling was there.”

The artist and the producer started talking about how to proceed, agreeing to meet up for a week in Carrollton, Texas, where they pieced together ideas using recordings Micah had made during his year off as the basis for a new album.

“In my mind, it was a strange experience,” says Hinson. “I wasn't used to being told whether I was doing a shit job or not. I would be in the booth, trying my damnedest to make a good take, and here would be this man in my earphones saying, ‘Ah hell, you can do better than that, I really didn't believe you there.’ It was a good thing. It felt as if we were making this record out of clear and pure intention.”

The album was finished in another week and a half, this time in Oak Cliff, Texas, in a studio built in a converted funeral home. Strings are an integral part of Hinson’s sound, but here was a problem: Hinson’s regular arranger Eric Bachman was unavailable, so they relied on Congleton’s contact book, recruiting members of The Polyphonic Spree, The Paper Chase and The Drams and a veteran of the opera circuit Nick Phelps.

These characters came in over the length of a few days and they proceeded to destroy my songs,” says Hinson. “I knew in my heart that we had something on our hands. The Red Empire Orchestra had finally turned into a proper monster, which in my mind, needed to be reckoned with.”

It’s here, then, that we find Micah P. Hinson in 2008, confidence restored and life back on track *– he even proposed to his girlfriend live on stage at Islington’s Union Chapel in December 2007. The wedding took place at the Paramount Theatre in downtown Abilene on 6th April 2008. “Damn right I am happy. I have won! the race is over! I truly have found the love of my life and a woman who loves me unconditionally!”

“I find myself ready to take on the world again, and show them what I have up my sleeve,” he says.

RETRIBUTION GOSPEL CHOIR

Hello friends.

I am living proof of Rock-N-Roll. I’ve played over a thousand shows from CBGBs to the Royal Albert Hall, driven literally a half million miles, recorded multiple internationally distributed and critically acclaimed releases with my beautiful wife Mimi Parker and our band called Low. And I’ve managed to pay the bills as an independant artist for the last 15 years. This is probably the only time I have or will ever talk about myself this way, but you have to admit it -- I’m right!

Retribution Gospel Choir started three or four years ago. We’ve already toured around the US a bit and released a couple tour EPs. We’re a good band and great things happen when we play live. Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon, Red House Painters, etc.) convinced us to let him produce us, and it worked. It’s a heavy and singable record with lots of guitar. We did it in San Francisco at Hyde Street Studio, where we met Billy Joel and the Dead Kennedys. People got hurt.

I think this is a great record and I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people.

Peace,

Alan Sparhawk – Jan. ‘08

ah I see! :( is anyone else from around there going I wonder?

I get the impression that Alan seems to prefer performing with RGC these days - he still looks very intense on stage, but it seems like it's more of a chore to do Low gigs.
Glad to hear he's ok for touring...but I am hoping he's in OK form at the gig.

I started a thread on it ages ago, sheesh Scutter! ;)
I think 'yay yay yay yay' fully sums up my very mature feelings on this.

aw sorry, but better late than never, seeing as I'm still in time and all.

Just had a listen to the album again there just now. Can't wait for this.

I presume I'll be able to get a ticket on the door?

Just tried to talk some of my mates into going but they want to go to some singer-songwriter bloke in Whelans that night. Each to their own I guess...

there's still tickets on sale so shouldnt be a shortage at the door.

So anyone else at this? RGC were great, I really want to see them at a headline gig though where the crowd's a bit more up for it! Felt a bit dead but they were brilliant.
They didn't have any merch besides the album, I was gutted. All seemed fine with Al Sparhawk, he was in a funny mood. Anyone get to chat to him after?

So anyone else at this? RGC were great, I really want to see them at a headline gig though where the crowd's a bit more up for it! Felt a bit dead but they were brilliant.
They didn't have any merch besides the album, I was gutted. All seemed fine with Al Sparhawk, he was in a funny mood. Anyone get to chat to him after?

I was blown away by them. They were incredible. I didn't see him floating around after though I probably wouldn't have had the guts to go near him! He did seem in good form though, and yeah, heres hoping they'll be back again soon.

I didn't get Micah P Hinson at all. I was utterly bored by him (as was his keyboard player by the looks of it). Probably just me though. Lots of others seemed well into it. To be fair though, he had a hard act to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back