Meeting People (1 Viewer)

How do you end up meeting people? Isn't it difficult to start up a conversation with people you don't know when there's music playing? Do you just randomly go up to people and start talking to them? Or does it happen when you're outside for a cig?

I'm afraid I may not be cool enough to make friends with new people at gigs :(

That's silly. Find interesting gigs and go alone. You'll meet people (new friends or otherwise) trust me.

Definitely. Going to gigs alone is great. You're there for the music and so guaranteed a good night (as long as you enjoy the bands) and if you make some new friends that's a bonus.

This must be a cultural thing because I'm rather shy yet I have no problem what so ever going places on my own. If you're at a gig other people there already like the same band or bands, so there's something to start a conversation. Before/after musical acts go on you're standing in a crowd of people, going to the bar, queuing for the "loo" just turn and say something. Especially if you see the same faces over and over at gigs, which I do all the time.

However, I think this is sometimes how I get taken up the wrong way. Being over friendly to strangers here is considered strange. I learned that for the last time recently. Sometimes friendly is just friendly not chatting up.

I used to go to gigs a lot on my own a few years back, but then I had the "security" of being able to stand on my todd and have a cigarette and that way I didn't feel like too much of a pillock being there on my own.

How do you end up meeting people? Isn't it difficult to start up a conversation with people you don't know when there's music playing? Do you just randomly go up to people and start talking to them? Or does it happen when you're outside for a cig?

I'm afraid I may not be cool enough to make friends with new people at gigs :(

In Dublin, if you go to gigs regularly you see the same faces all the time.

Smoking, or going outside for air between bands can help when it comes to getting into conversations with people.

Oh, and, in light of Jill Hives' comments about being misunderstood, I should say that I'm not talking about going to gigs alone to try and pick people up. Just as a way to get to know more people, and ones that have similar interests.

I don't want to be accused of trying to pick up married men, like Snakybus.

Oh, and, in light of Jill Hives' comments about being misunderstood, I should say that I'm not talking about going to gigs alone to try and pick people up. Just as a way to get to know more people, and ones that have similar interests.

I don't want to be accused of trying to pick up married men, like Snakybus.

Thumped is like the equivalent to an online dating site for freinds. You see the same faces at gigs over and over and then you start making the connections of who they are on here. It's slightly bizarre but very helpful in meeting new friends.

Thumped is like the equivalent to an online dating site for freinds. You see the same faces at gigs over and over and then you start making the connections of who they are on here. It's slightly bizarre but very helpful in meeting new friends.

Hehe, yeah, that can be totally weird. Especially the sudden feeling of 'knowing' someone you've just met after hearing a username.

No, I meant because there was gossip mentioned ;)

Oh, and I thought you were finally going to own up to your feelings for him ;)

And Snakybus isn't in a position to complain about gossip. He once accused me of chatting up someone who had come over to talk to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back