me buy computer..help? (3 Viewers)

pete said:
no viruses or fuck all other software
ah now. he is looking for the computer for graphics etc. I've got loads of graphics software here. all the macromedia and adobe shit, 3D animation software and more. some audio stuff. all the microsoft stuff: word, excel etc. so you know... s'not that limited.

the only app that comes to mind that you can't get is probably autocad.

horses for courses. unless you rely loads of obscure PC only shareware/freeware stuff there isn't much difference really is there? okay, so apple machines will cost you more, but in my experience that tends to bring advantages too. they hold their value pretty well, and importantly I've found them to be very solid, reiable machines... whatever. I've got a pc too, which I still use a fair bit... on the most part I've got the same apps on both! I'm not anti pc, or a mac nazi (I was forced to become a mac user thru work), but I think the mac option is always at least worth looking into.

knowharramean? :)

Wilbert said:
I agreed with you until the last sentence. Using a mac OS and using a pc OS are two completely different experiences. I find the mac OS works better. We have a computer technician who works here in the college with me and I asked him how he feels about Windows and he said that he hates it. He has no bias either way, he just wants computers to be stable and work, but said that working with Windows is an endless slog of repair and virus cleaning. In the three years he has been here he has never been called to work on a downed-mac. Not once.
He likened his job to painting a gigantic bridge; by the time you've gotten to the end, the place where you started needs a new coat.

you're really winding me up now. i've worked in tech support for 8 years and yeah, MS suck. that's not my point. (and btw, where i work it used to be approx 33% macs, alot less now, but at that time i swear i had as many mac rebuilds to do as pc rebuilds.)

My point is that to anyone who has worked with both platforms for a number of years it is increasingly obvious that Macs are coming more and more to resemble PCs. Apple have steadily incorporated non-Apple specific hardware and software to the point where if they released the new system under another name it would be called a PC.

If I buy a DELL and install Linux on it and then compare that to the new Intel based Mac running Mac OS X, well there ain't much difference between them. You can now install and run Mac OS X on a PC and the new Macs, from a hardware and software point of view, are going to be so similar to a regular PC that the biggest difference is in the badge on the computer.

snap-apple said:
you're really winding me up now. i've worked in tech support for 8 years and yeah, MS suck. that's not my point. (and btw, where i work it used to be approx 33% macs, alot less now, but at that time i swear i had as many mac rebuilds to do as pc rebuilds.)

My point is that to anyone who has worked with both platforms for a number of years it is increasingly obvious that Macs are coming more and more to resemble PCs. Apple have steadily incorporated non-Apple specific hardware and software to the point where if they released the new system under another name it would be called a PC.

If I buy a DELL and install Linux on it and then compare that to the new Intel based Mac running Mac OS X, well there ain't much difference between them. You can now install and run Mac OS X on a PC and the new Macs, from a hardware and software point of view, are going to be so similar to a regular PC that the biggest difference is in the badge on the computer.
Wasn't trying to wind you up, Mr Snap-Apple. We have different experiences with computers. That's all.

Wilbert said:
What software can't you get for a mac, Pete. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Most proprietary software is written for PC (which is why Macs have been slowly phased out where I work). There is alot more shareware/freeware etc. written for PC. There are alot more games written for PC.

Listen Wil, I ain't anti-Mac, I just refuse to accept that they are in any way superior to a well-built, well-maintained PC.

Wilbert said:
Wasn't trying to wind you up, Mr Snap-Apple. We have different experiences with computers. That's all.

Different in that I have more exprience ;)

snap-apple said:
Most proprietary software is written for PC (which is why Macs have been slowly phased out where I work). There is alot more shareware/freeware etc. written for PC. There are alot more games written for PC.

Listen Wil, I ain't anti-Mac, I just refuse to accept that they are in any way superior to a well-built, well-maintained PC.

Well they are! i have used both for many a year now and although i keep both in very good condition the pc does give more trouble, now i aint a mac whore i use both! But we can argue over which is better for an age but the difference between both machines is not in tech architecture but the OS. The Mac OS is much more fluid and user friendly and all reviews in the industry have reflected this. However all the talk of "have you ever gotten a virus on a mac" is null and void! Virus programmers deisgn viruses to attack the most machines possible, windows based machines currently account for 98-99% of the market so any virus created is aimed at PC users, but apple's market share is growing so be prepared for viruses. Still in my eyes and i have been using a computer for over 14 years now Mac's are better! if you want games by a console, if you want the easy option buy a pc but if you are willing to learn how to use a computer properly and get the most out of it get a mac!

well there, back again, didn't buy anything yet, im too afraid to commit. and spending my shekels on other things
Its down to 15" powerbook or the Mac book pro, for e100 extra, as far as i can tell the only difference is the intel thing (whatever that means i dont know) and slightly larger screen and slightly enhanced technical things....im no computer geek so if anybody could shed some light on this for me would be much appreciated.
Tanks leuuhv.

This topic interests me.

My craptop is slow and old, and covered in biscuit and toast crumbs.
Therefore a new computer would be right up my alley, once money is sorted. And I know near nowt about them........

interesting time to be lookig for a laptop. I'm a dead set Mac boy but I'm not sure I'd buy a MacBookPro just yet. Then again I would be slow to buy a Powerbook now that the intel chips have been introduced.

Maybe go for a second-hand G4 PowerBook and get a feel for the Mac on a kick ass but cheaper machine. Ypu don't always have to get the newest hardware. My G4 is a few years old now and I've no intention of upgrading it for a while anyway.

You know one thing that is really nice about a Mac (specifically the iMac).

It comes in a box. A fairly compact box. You take it out of the box and there is one plug. You put this plug into the wall and it starts working straight away. This pleased me so much.

Grapes, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm agonising over getting a new MacBook Pro or going for a PC laptop. The MacBook hasn't been shipped yet so it's completely untested. I think it goes out this week so if you hang on for a while you can gauge the reaction to it. There are bound to be issues regarding software compatibility. I've had an iBook for three years now, and although it had some early teething problems, which were the result of a manufacturing error, it's given me very little hassle since. I know fuck all about computers, but the Mac is easy to use and pretty durable, and I've probably got the most basic model around. I've never had a virus, though maybe that will change with newer systems. And while I worry about the emphasis on style with Apples, I have to admit they're very desirable, and I really, really want one. How about you be the guinea pig, buy the MacBook Pro, and let me know how you get on:)

sample buy and sell ad

Power Book G4. Leinster Meath €1600.00
Apple, 17", OSX 10.4.4, 1GB RAM, 1.33 G4 processor, 80 GB HDD, airport, Office 2004, comes with external 30 GB HDD, €1,600. 087-9886553 [save ad]

pretty dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back