me buy computer..help? (1 Viewer)

grapes said:
Hey I fancy buying a laptop for mainly graphic use....should I just buy a new one off Apple....or does anyone have a gem of information for me......
Ta.

Apple have switched over to intel chips so if you can wait until the new line of iBooks come out with these chips they should be faster and, allegedly, cheaper.

Wilbert said:
Apple have switched over to intel chips so if you can wait until the new line of iBooks come out with these chips they should be faster and, allegedly, cheaper.

Its looking like it could be some time off like middle of next year, best thing about mac's is the re-sale value. They hold their value quite well so even if you dont like it you could switch after 6 months and still lose little

wait actually should i get a 12" cause its cheaper or would it be worth my moola gettin a 14", are they better is it worth it? hmmm?
also is anyone else waiting in hope that some more ATP ticketys will be re-issued,
!ironyyy

12" ones are a bit cheaper but they are tricker to use because the screen is that much smaller, if you know what I mean, especially if you're doing graphics and shit. I was suprised by the weight of the 14" ibook. Almost as heavy as my G3 Powerbook from about 5 years ago. The 12" lads are much lighter.

snap-apple said:
...you might as well buy a pc.
No, you are quite wrong. If you want to give Bill Gates your money for a horribly designed OS with no redeeming features that will be plagued by viruses, then by all means buy a PC.
If you want a very stable OS (my mac has crashed twice in as many years) that comes with decent music/video-editing/dvd-creation/sound recording software that has actually had some thought put in to it's design, then you can go for an apple.

Just think of the amount of people you know who have PC's and have trouble with them. I bet it's a lot.

I use PC's all the time in work and I hate them. They are incredibly unfriendly things to use. The OS is anything but intuitive and once you start getting viruses (virii?) then you can pretty much forget it!

I think what puts people off Apple is the zealotry that they perceive a "Mac-head" to have.

People tend to view their macs in the way that a musician may view their guitar. That may seem like a weird thing to do to a PC-person, but there it is.

You can only endure shoddy computers for so long, you will give in! Resistance is useless!

Wilbert said:
No, you are quite wrong.

I've heard it all before Wil. I treat my PC well, built it meself, have never had a virus (touch wood) and performance wise it would mop the floor with any Mac laptop. I have nothing against Macs and I'd proabably agree that for the non-techie or someone who wants to work exclusively with video or audio a Mac can be a safer and more user-friendly environment. But for versitility etc. Macs can't come close to PCs.

Anyways, my point is that if you have an intel-based computer running a unix-based OS then it's a PC i.e. Macs are becoming PCs.

The best thing to do is spend a bit of time looking around. Buying a pc from places like Pcworld, Dixons etc will get you an XP based machine. So you're basically locked into the OS that comes with it. Most of these places are forced to supply the OS which bumps up the price. Also I found the grapphics cards in a lot of these are rubbish.
Buying a mac will be more expensive and you will be locked into both the OS and the hardware. Apple tend to sell base machines that are terribly under spec on the hardware side. This usually forces you to upgrade while purchasing so you have to buy their overpriced ram\cpu etc upgrades. With a pc you can buy the baseline machine and get the upgrades cheaper. Apple OS X is the best desktop OS out there at the moment. It is years ahead of anything else , but the way they sell it and keep you locked to both their hardware and software is just as bad (if not worse) than MS.
If you are feeling adventurous, try to find an online store that will build you a decent pc (or build one yourself) without an OS. You can also spend time looking for a good graphics card. It will work out to be cheaper and then you can choose the OS to put on it (Windows, Linux, freebsd etc).
But if you can't be arsed then you'll have to spend a bit more.

snap-apple said:
I've heard it all before Wil. I treat my PC well, built it meself, have never had a virus (touch wood) and performance wise it would mop the floor with any Mac laptop. I have nothing against Macs and I'd proabably agree that for the non-techie or someone who wants to work exclusively with video or audio a Mac can be a safer and more user-friendly environment. But for versitility etc. Macs can't come close to PCs.

Anyways, my point is that if you have an intel-based computer running a unix-based OS then it's a PC i.e. Macs are becoming PCs.

I agreed with you until the last sentence. Using a mac OS and using a pc OS are two completely different experiences. I find the mac OS works better. We have a computer technician who works here in the college with me and I asked him how he feels about Windows and he said that he hates it. He has no bias either way, he just wants computers to be stable and work, but said that working with Windows is an endless slog of repair and virus cleaning. In the three years he has been here he has never been called to work on a downed-mac. Not once.
He likened his job to painting a gigantic bridge; by the time you've gotten to the end, the place where you started needs a new coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back