Maximum Wage - should we have one? (1 Viewer)

Maximum Wage - should we have one?

• Total voters
I'd be happy to totally get rid of any and all abnormally high pensions and other benefits for semi-state and state jobs, especially those that are only worked at for a handful of years. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a maximum wage for a private enterprise that isn't doing anything wrong.

I'd be happy to totally get rid of any and all abnormally high pensions and other benefits for semi-state and state jobs, especially those that are only worked at for a handful of years. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a maximum wage for a private enterprise that isn't doing anything wrong.

Ha! In fairness, the Semi-State company I work for is not doing anything wrong either! The vast majority of staff in my place are hard working, committed and good at our jobs! I know how that sounds, but it's true. The benefits are good (job security etc), but there has been pay cuts and recruitment embargos, resulting in us all working longer hours (no overtime) on more projects than ever.
It is really only the higher cilvil servants and some commercial semi-state senior management that are earning the big sums.

Trouble with a max salary, is that salaries down the line would all probably have to be cut too, to differentiate between the levels. The CEO should get paid more than a senior manager, who should get paid more than a middle manager etc. Their performance should certainly be monitored to ensure they are living up to their end of the bargain though.

here's the deal right. i cant remember the books name, but there is indeed some book about how you get into power and how you stay there. what you do is pay all the lads right under you a fuckload of money so they will do exactly what you ask them. then you make life cosy for the bottom rungs of society so there is never any real unrest. Fianna Fail doggedly persued that formula, and we bought it, or were sold. thats why the top level and the bottom level have it so cushy. it went on for so long its very hard to reverse. people my age and a little above and below dont know any different. a massive logical re-jig would be pounced upon by ff and and all the other opposition and would be reduced to a farce before any decent measures could be put in. fg are fucking it up royally to, dont get me wrong, i just think its worth posting in clear terms where and what we are.

when i was first on the dole circa 1998, it was 65 euro. i've heard @pete_ reference it being 45 not too long before. a 300 - 400% increase in anything in 10 years is a bit mad isnt it??

Ha! In fairness, the Semi-State company I work for is not doing anything wrong either! The vast majority of staff in my place are hard working, committed and good at our jobs! I know how that sounds, but it's true. The benefits are good (job security etc), but there has been pay cuts and recruitment embargos, resulting in us all working longer hours (no overtime) on more projects than ever.
It is really only the higher cilvil servants and some commercial semi-state senior management that are earning the big sums.

I was referring to the latter higher echelon group in my comment. Also, my comment about "not doing anything wrong" was specifically referring to banks and other financial institutions that purportedly are private businesses while getting government handouts, it wasn't meant as a contrast to public employment. I think once private businesses go to the government cap in hand there should be a reasonable cap or moratorium on bonuses/excessive pensions etc. imposed on them. In fact I think it is criminal of the government not to make suchs conditions manatory before agreeing to help these crooks out.

I was referring to the latter higher echelon group in my comment. Also, my comment about "not doing anything wrong" was specifically referring to banks and other financial institutions that purportedly are private businesses while getting government handouts, it wasn't meant as a contrast to public employment. I think once private businesses go to the government cap in hand there should be a reasonable cap or moratorium on bonuses/excessive pensions etc. imposed on them. In fact I think it is criminal of the government not to make suchs conditions manatory before agreeing to help these crooks out.

Fair enough! Agree with all that.

when i was first on the dole circa 1998, it was 65 euro. i've heard @pete_ reference it being 45 not too long before. a 300 - 400% increase in anything in 10 years is a bit mad isnt it??

1989 it was about ?45 for single person. in 1991 weekly rate for long term was ?57.20, ?33 for spouse & ?13.20 per kid

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back