Manu thread? (1 Viewer)

That was all a bit tepid in the end. If Eto'o was sharper it could have been a different story. Still all to play for.

fucking awful shite from united. barca were there for the taking before the game- zero confidence and morale. instead they decide to sit back, let barca play, give them confidence. uniteds best hope is to attack, the midfield/defence should be good enough without having to resort to this ultra cautious game which doesnt really suit them. united defended pretty well it has to be said- pretty much only one clear cut break from barca- but to be honest i reckon they would have won if they had attacked from the off. we put zero pressure on their back 4- the couple of times we almost got in they were shakey as fuck.

better be different next week. i'd be ashamed to get to the final playing 2 legs like that and sneaking a 1-0 win.

great performance from ronaldo.
surely the theatre beckons for him?

using kuyt as a workhorse is fine but doing the same to rooney is pure abuse and quite sinful. was a decent little right back mind. :) and off to the left wing then - giggs must be finished! :)

if only eto'o had done a ronaldo when rio went flying.
great to see that honesty though.

he should have gone down, wouldn't have been a dive. legitimate. eto'o is short on games and confidence.

deco and messi should be fitter next week, game still on. but where are barcas goals coming from? that's their problem.

i thought it was comical that the rte lads were saying that if ronaldo had stayed on his feet for the marquez tackle that he would have got the peno. Even though in the same game eto'o got clattered by ferdinand, stayed up, and got nothing!

I think they were suggesting he should have dived a bit better, rather than stay on his feet. The ref was never gonna give another peno unless is was stonewall.

If the penos given were reversed he probably would have given the marquez one and ignored the handball.

Surely a dive is a dive, whether or not there was contact.
dunno, he stumbled, and some impetus was lost. the way he was playing, he should have dived. i mean, fell. i mean, uh, stumbled further, theatrically trying to keep his feet like alcock, ending up somewhere in the stands. no doubt if ronaldo didn't have a reputation, or didn't throw himself so gayishly floorwards, he might get some sympathy. same goes for gerrad and rooney against blackburn. look at hleb throwing himself to the ground at the emirates, with babels "i'm desperately trying to stay upright after minimal contact, but my centre of gravity is just too high, but look! i'm gamefully trying, like a new born foal." for further advice on how to simulate, observe damien duff's " i just want to play the game, ref" look after stumbling grasswise.

Babel took his dive well, whereas Hleb fluffed his dive. On such minutia are modern games of football won and lost.

Babel took his dive well, whereas Hleb fluffed his dive. On such minutia are modern games of football won and lost.

was Babel not slighty clipped while he galloped into the box? while Helb was going away from goal and went down when kuyt supported him?

:)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manche ster_united/s/1046727_comment_ron_will_have_last_word

Quote:
A GALAXY of stars gathered at the impressive Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona last night but none twinkled as brightly as that of Cristiano Ronaldo.

This Champions League semi-final was billed as the clash of the titans between Ronaldo and Barca's Lionel Messi.

It was nothing of the sort. Messi is a wonderful player of that there is no doubt. But he's not in Ronaldo's league.

Remarkable Ronnie is a genuine 24-carat genius.

You could see the fear in the eyes of the Barcelona defenders from the opening whistle. Ronaldo on the ball equalled panic stations.

Mind you, playing in the all- white strip of Real Madrid - obviously one of Fergie's mind games - was enough to give Barca the collywobbles before a ball had been kicked.

Inside the opening seconds, Ronaldo was scythed down twice by the cynical Spaniards - a sure sign that they were running scared.

A minute later the United whiz-kid should have netted with a fierce header only for defender Milito to brush the ball aside with his arm for a blatant penalty.

This surely was going to be Ronaldo's 39th goal of an incredible season. But even geniuses are fallible.

For once, the kid's nerves let him down as he chipped the ball over the bar. In the circumstances we can forgive him for that.

The terror campaign on Ronaldo continued. Eight more fouls against him by my count in the opening 15 minutes.

You began to wonder whether the lad would finish the match on a stretcher. But Ronaldo has brilliance and bravery in equal quantities. And like a heavyweight boxer he just kept coming back for more.

And his courage should have been rewarded in the 24th minute when he was clearly upended in the penalty area by Mexican international Rafael Marquez.

This time the match official decided to turn Nelson's eye on the incident. Who could blame him with 100,000 baying Catalonians glaring down balefully from the stands?

As the Reds sat back and soaked up the Barcelona attacks with consummate ease, Ronaldo remained their only goal threat. Again another magnificent surge as half-time approached led to yet another cynical foul to halt him in his stride.

A free-kick from a dangerous spot. Again Ronaldo was brave enough to step up to the plate. Another sizzling free kick that whizzed past the far post without the Barcelona keeper moving a muscle.

Of course this semi-final tie is only at the half way stage. The match will be decided one way or the other at Old Trafford next Tuesday.

But that won't be influenced by Messi or even Thierry Henry if he's fit to play. Take it from me, United will reach the Champions League final and it will be Cristiano Ronaldo who takes them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back