Making Bread (1 Viewer)

bit of a cop out, but did ye ever use one of these bad boys:

Bread_Maker.jpg

they make deadly pizza base too.

Maybe I transcribed the recipe wrong before moving? Never thought about that option because my cookies never turned out and I KNOW that recipe is right. Huh. It is a sweet type bread so it is a bit more sugary than the typical white bread.

OK I found a similar recipe in Leiths.

The amount of yeast in your recipe is actually probably right because the dough is enriched it will not rise as well as a plain white loaf.

here are the quantities in metric.

200ml Milk
4tsp fast action yeast (I think that's 2 sachets)
450g Strong Flour
1tsp salt
85g butter
55g caster sugar
2 eggs beaten

You can add the cardamom to that.

The instructions are pretty much as you recipe but if I was making it I'd do in in the food processor with a dough hook like this:

Tip all the dry ingredients into the bowl - yeast and all. Turn on the motor and add the scalded milk. When the dough is massed on the hook stop and leave rest for 5 mins. Incorporate the butter bit by bit - don't beat for more than a few seconds at a time. Take the dough out and finish kneading by hand. Rise, knock back etc lash into oven.

I haven't tested that, so no guarantees but it should work with a lot less palaver than is called for in the original recipe.

I haven't tried anything more adventurous than soda bread yet.
It's a great one for anyone who's interested in getting started.

450g plain flour
1 tsp bread soda (baking soda/bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp caster sugar
Half tsp salt
400ml buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 230C (gas mark 8).

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Gradually mix in the buttermilk.

Put into a greased 2lb (900g) loaf tin.
Bake for 20-30 mins.

Turn out of tin & cool on a wire rack.

You can also add 25g of sultanas & 25 grams of caster sugar if you want to make fruit soda bread.

Made a fresh batch last night.
All made from the same dough which is the White Yeast Bread recipe from Avoca Cookbook.

I used fast acting dried yeast instead & threw in a load of fresh rosemary & thyme too.
3761737346_60e2cf1992_b.jpg

Just had a bash of it there. I took it out of the oven a few minutes ago and it looks fantastic. I think it's the best thing I've ever done. Anyone else into this?
Look at me back then, so young and full of enthusiasm. I never got around to baking another loaf.

i tried a couple of no-knead recipes over the years but realised i quite like kneading and i prefer kneaded bread. the no-knead ones were always better toasted than fresh.

Anyone I know that's in any way serious about bread, likes to knead and objects to the method on that basis. Which I understand.
I think it's a good gateway to demystify the process for people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back