Major Pleasures (1 Viewer)

What if we got rid of banks and every day was a bank holiday?

Centre parcs would go into meltdown and the civil service would permanently be hungover?

and the offset between goods, time and services would require all loans to be trust based with no legal recourse unless someone were to set up some sort of institution to facilitate that which can be done semi ethically and instead they'd just evolve into credit union holidays after a few years of fuckery

Bank holidays have nothing to do with banks.

Eh they do. It's in the name.

Centre parcs would go into meltdown and the civil service would permanently be hungover?

and the offset between goods, time and services would require all loans to be trust based with no legal recourse unless someone were to set up some sort of institution to facilitate that which can be done semi ethically and instead they'd just evolve into credit union holidays after a few years of fuckery

Yes sounds good. Although we've already changed the name to Public Holidays in Ireland so no need to worry about other possible names.

Bank holidays have nothing to do with banks.
In 1871, John Lubbock, 1st Baron Avebury, 4th Baronet PC, DL, FRS (or simply Sir John Lubbock), drafted the Bank Holiday Bill and the search for bank holiday hotel deals in London was well and truly on! The four days he chose were Easter Monday, Whit Monday, the first Monday in August and Boxing Day and under the act, the banks were closed and ‘no person was compelled to make any payment or to do any act upon a bank holiday which he would not be compelled to do or make on Christmas Day or Good Friday, and the making of a payment or the doing of an act on the following day was equivalent to doing it on the holiday.’

Before 1830, banks closed for around 40 saint’s days and anniversaries but that year it was reduced to 18. In 1834 it was reduced further to four (Good Friday, May 1st, November 1st and Christmas Day) and as we said, the act of 1871 constituted the four above. It’s hard to say why bankers needed 40 days’ holiday and no-one else… Imagine if that was the case today, there would be riots on the streets!

Hence ‘bank’ holiday. A holiday for banks.

Ah, this is more like we're planning this trip and she's doing goddamn EVERYTHING
Like sending me links for the gear we need - she's a serious outdoorsperson (and a guitar player, and an artist, and a linguist, and a phenomenal baker, and an athlete - just skills for days)
But also like planning flights and seeking out deals, and doing all the detail shit that I (and most blokes I know leave to chance)

And then she's like borderline apologising to me for being so detailed. It's like don't fucking apologise for competency.
All I have to do is click and buy and show up

I mean obviously, there's this part of it where she's wanted to do this trip for a while and now has someone to do it with. But still.

We have it fecking EASY, lads

And thank you, ladies

Last edited:
Ah, this is more like we're planning this trip and she's doing goddamn EVERYTHING
Like sending me links for the gear we need - she's a serious outdoorsperson (and a guitar player, and an artist, and a linguist, and a phenomenal baker, and an athlete - just skills for days)
But also like planning flights and seeking out deals, and doing all the detail shit that I (and most blokes I know leave to chance)
I was that person in a previous life - initially i kinda enjoyed it - and probably still would but there wasn't much in reciprocation and it sorta got exhausting after a few laps.

Like what i'm saying is go and have a great time, and wee surprise thing you think of mid trip to acknowledge all they've done just to find your own way to let them know you are greatful.

User mileage may vary.

I was that person in a previous life - initially i kinda enjoyed it - and probably still would but there wasn't much in reciprocation and it sorta got exhausting after a few laps.

Like what i'm saying is go and have a great time, and wee surprise thing you think of mid trip to acknowledge all they've done just to find your own way to let them know you are greatful.

User mileage may vary.
Oh 100% man
And I appreciate the comment

I'm painting her (pretty huge) house for more or less for free (labour)
But I'm also picking stuff up money-wise. The planning she's doing has real value to me. I have no head for it.

I pulled.

It's all a bit complicated, but...... I pulled. It happened a few weeks ago but it continues, and it's very nice and stuff. It had been a while, didn't want to say anything but if I can prevent myself from getting smitten, I'll at least have my mojo back. I am a little smitten, I shouldn't be.
#youknowyourestillyoung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back