Major Lifestyle Choice (1 Viewer)

But it's just the same as Microsoft's old Sidewinder joypads, from 10 years ago!

M17-1912.jpg

If the PS3 is actually better, then I'll buy it. but i'm using my goddamn xbox controller, as I imagine that'll be possible.

not thinking about the gamesy part of it, but ps3 will be able to play blu-ray dvds and has 1920x1080 output. so, high-def home cinema right there (with big telly/projector). just wait a year or so for movies to reach ireland in that format.

hmmmmmmmm

IGNIQ.com reports that Factor 5, developer of games including the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron series...

... has announced it will not be developing for the Xbox 360, due to what it believes are far more powerful hardware on the Playstation 3.

Factor 5 was previously commited to the 360, but switched after seeing the specs for the new Playstation, with their president saying he was "shocked by how powerful" it will be.

Of course, is the PS3 more powerful? Microsoft claims that its console is in fact faster, with its triple core processor far more flexible than Sony's single core Cell. Microsoft also notes that the 360 has five times the memore bandwidth of the PS3. While Sony is rightly claiming an advantage on streaming floating point performance, accomplished using seven DSP processors, the 360 claims faster overall graphics processing power. For example, the 360 is capable of 80 shader operations per second, compared to the PS3's 74.8. The 360 has 278.4 gigabytes per second of memory system bandwidth, dwarfing the PS3's 48 GB/s. In additon, Microsoft claims the DSPs are crippled by having no cache and no direct access to memory.

In all honesty, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. The PS3 is probably more capable of higher quality rendering, while the Xbox 360 is capable of faster rendering. Games with similar graphics requirements will run smoother on the 360, and games with higher graphics requirements should run just fine on the 360, sarificing some of that speed for quality, but ultimately not looking as good. Games with larger worlds and complex AI and physics, however, will benefit from the fact that 360 is not devoting the majority of its power to graphics. Don't be surprised if the same games on both systems show atrocious load times on the PS3.

Still, I think its safe to predict that while games will look slightly better on the PS3 and run slightly better on the Xbox 360, it is silly at this time to claim either company has a hardware edge. The answer to that question will come when Sony actually releases the final specs for Playstation 3, which could very well be lower than what we've seen so far.

http://www.webpronews.com/business/...523Factor5ShunsXbox360ForGameDevelopment.html

nVidia spokesperson confirms hardware is unfinished - demos cannot be real

PlayStation 3's GPU (graphics processing unit) has yet to be finished, according to nVidia's chief financial officer Mary Burkett.

Burkett, speaking at the recent JP Morgan Technology Conference in San Francisco, explained that the chip - currently codenamed RSX - is still in production. As such, it couldn't have been used to generate any of Sony's supposed realtime PS3 tech demos that were shown at the company's pre-E3 conference last week.

Despite this revelation, Burkett did concede that nVidia had been working with other chips similar in power to RSX and therefore the final PS3 hardware may be able to achieve the sort of results seen at the event.

Still, while there is a possibility PS3 will deliver the graphical quality promised at the show, we won't know for sure until the company is in the position to show finished code.

The net has been rife with debate over the authenticity of Sony's jaw-dropping exhibition ever since the first PS3 shots and movies started to circulate, with many suggesting that the footage shown was simply a collection of elaborate and highly flattering mock-up demonstrations designed to scupper Microsoft's Xbox 360 unveiling, which took place just hours after Sony's do.

Microsoft isn't entirely faultless either, however, with playable demo units on the E3 show floor - which at face value appeared to be running on the displayed Xbox 360s - in fact, being powered by Apple G5s and Xenon development units behind the scenes.

Tut. Bad Microsoft; bad Sony.

believe the thrillho

i loved my msx
nemesis was the biz

looking forward to the nintendo, curious to hear what the *revolutionary* aspect will be. the fact that the entire nintendo back catalogue (exluding gamecube) will be downloadable to it for free is pretty great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back