Madrid - is it good or shit? (1 Viewer)

Was over for a few days last Summer, thought it was alright.

If you're into Football the Bernabeu tour is a must.
If you're into Art they've some deadly museums with some Picassos, Van Goghs, and lots of Dali stuff.(Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen)

Thought it was a great place to just wander around, some beautiful architecture and there seemed to be lots going on all over the place.

Plenty to do in Madrid for a weekend.
It feels like much more of a grown-up city than Barcelona.

You should check out the museums that Tibor mentioned.

Apart from that, stroll around, have a few cafe solos, get some churros, & relax t'fuck.

There's plenty of shopping to be done too, if you're into that.

I've been over there a fair few times at this stage. I'd say it's..... pretty good. I'm kind of done with it now though. it can be hard to figure out where the craic is at. it's very different to barcelona, valencia or most other places I've been in spain. more work oriented. and certainly without barcelona's obvious selling points, lie the sea. but, like any big city there's plenty to do. go to the big gallery el museo del prado and look at a billion goyas, inclding the deadly pinturas negras.and... just down the road there's the modern gallery la reina sofia. first floor = picasso's guernica, and loads of cubist stuff, some dali, some shitty enough miro etc. pretty cool. third floor = contemporary modern art. aka shit. second floor never seems to be open........

just read back over the posts; most of this has been mentioned already.

as for places to go out. hmm.... lavapies (my favourite place name EVER) is a dingy enough place with a fair few bars. there are some beter places tht escape me at the moment. if there's one thing you won't be short of it's bars.

can't think; will return to this thread when my brain works again. time for bed...

i was there on a sunday and it was cat
must be better on other days

bernabau is impressive
i went two days after being in the nou camp thinking it would be a long time
until i see a stadium as impressive as the NC and bbau was nearly as good

i thought it was a bit shit. and full of wankers wearing fur coats.

I went with a few girlfriends late last May and had a fab time. It's perfect for walking - flat and things seem fairly near to each other. Shopping is good as well. It's a very pretty city and good craic to kind of meander and take it easy. I love eating/drinking outdoors in bistros with the nice weather...we'd a lovely meal on a Saturday night in one of the squares with a few jugs of sangria then went on to a few pubs and clubs. Didn't feel unsafe at all and my spanish isn't that great but people were willing to speak what english they knew to help us out.
We spent a lazy Sunday in one of the parks in the city sunning ourselves and drinking beers. Brilliant!

thanks like.

hey, whats a good area to book a hostel in? ...can anyone recommend me a nice cheapo hostel in madrid please. I was checking out availability for May weekend and it seems as though lots are booked out already. eeep.

Hi ya!

Madrid Is great, I m living there, but depend on you likes or expectatives. the best it get a hostel in the center there is lot of them close to Sol, and I tho that there isn´t expensive, no try montera, bitchs street . If u like beer and tapas Latina zone is a good choice for night, and sunday lunch time after visit the rastro , foreings always go to Huertas but I don´t like it prefer Malasaña... if have any question tell me

I was in Madrid last weekend. Highlight was the Reina Sofia and the Picassos. I'm not that into or knowledgeable about art but Guernica is a different experience on the wall to seeing it in a book. You get a much better sense of the horror of the scene. The grounds and the buildings of the Royal Palace are pretty cool too. There's a roller coaster park if you're a big kid also.

Lowlights: going to see a bullfight - I thought I was going to have a stroke. It's really appalling stuff. Also, getting my wallet nicked on the metro on the way to the airport.

I got my purse robbed on the Metro on the way into Madrid! Be very careful on the metro it's full of robbing scumbags. The police don't want to know

Madrids aces,I loved Reina Sofia,a sweet afternoon spent wandering amongst the ernst/dali/richter/picasso stuff.Plenty of mentallers around.An uncle of mine lives there.so we were sorted for nice places to eat etc,the bars are nicer and its more tapas orientated than bacelona

If you can figure out where the night life is and avoid getting stuff stolen, Madrid is pretty good. Lot of dodgy types around, but some of the locals are alright.

That Rastro flea market that they have on Sunday is pretty good. Lot of lps etc for €3 to €6. Hombre in front of me got the Man Machine by Kraftwerk. I congratulated him on his purchase but he didn't know what I was saying so it was bit awkward really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back