luas crash.. (3 Viewers)

The lowest increase they're looking for is 8 % which is also high when you look at any other pay negotiation. It also doesn't help their case that their wages are already pretty good despite only needing a driver's license to work as a Luas driver. If I worked as a Luas driver, I'd be earning about €12-15,000 more than I do now if you factor in my number of years experience. Then take into account I have a degree, a PhD and no benefits or job security and I find it very hard to have sympathy for them. This could be read as sour grapes (why don't I become a Luas driver, then?) but they are far from underpaid. It's not often I'm on the side of the multinational company but Luas drivers really need a reality check.

I find it very hard to find info on why they're striking beyond "cos they're greedy" because the entire country seems to be against them.

finally found this on the WSM website:

Drivers are seeking parity with other Safety Critical staff who recently received 23 extra rest days and maximum 8 hour shifts. Drivers currently work 9 hour shifts in what is considered an extremely stressful working environment.

Veolia Transdev, the French multinational who operate the Luas lightrail system for the RPA (Railway Procurement Agency) claim they do not have the funds to meet the 160+ drivers demands and have offered half the rest days (10) but will not reduce the shift times...

...Veolia Transdev and the RPA have been making a profit on an annual basis for the past ten years....

...Veolia workers are the lowest paid workers in the transport system in Ireland and work longer hours than other public transport workers. All other public transport systems in Dublin finish by 2330hrs, whereas the Luas operates after 0030hrs every week night.

I would like to assume that people don't strike just cos they're greedy pricks. I dunno, willing to listen to anyone who is against the strike though.

I haven't gone looking for the information but their side certainly isn't coming across in any media coverage. The main reasoning I've seen put forth is that they want to paid a wage similar to Irish Rail/DART engineers. Irish Rail recruit drivers from existing staff (i.e. you work in tickets or something first and can apply after a certain amount of service) and then you do a couple of years training before being phased on to various services. Some of the lines have more variation in them (built and upgraded at different times) so it is a more complicated job than Luas before you factor in the increased speed/responsibility. The pay is also better because the chances of someone throwing themselves under the train in front of you is surprisingly high. I know a driver who had 2-3 people commit suicide while he was driving. Horrendous stuff.

I'd be far more willing to support any of these strikes if it wasn't just about lining their own pockets

Get out there and organise other industries, demand all union construction sites, all union hotel workers. Support junior teachers pay claims. Whatever. Something that's not a fucking gripe fest about your tea breaks.

If they want solidarity from others, they can start showing some

Boo hoo they have to work til 12:30. So does every barman in the country. Such fucking babies.

Any Cadbury workers out with the Luas strike?

Is it all and everyone or nothing and no-one?

Boo hoo they have to work til 12:30. So does every barman in the country. Such fucking babies.

That's one point of contention for me, the Luas has always operated late, it's not like management just rocked in one day with an announcement of change. I'm not sure how it is for Luas drivers but many bus drivers have to do split shifts which I imagine are far more of a pain in the ass than working an hour later.

The union movement used to be about solidarity, now it's about taking care of your own, which is what everyone's at anyway.

Except transport workers want to stick it to everyone else when they don't get their way. They want everyone to feel their pain, but won't do a thing for anyone else's.

There were a good few Greyhound workers out with the Cadbury lads.
I've yet to hear about transport guys doing anything that doesn't directly benefit themselves. The strikes they pull at the Cork station are also a joke. Straight up shakedowns.

The union movement used to be about solidarity, now it's about taking care of your own, which is what everyone's at anyway.

Except transport workers want to stick it to everyone else when they don't get their way. They want everyone to feel their pain, but won't do a thing for anyone else's.

There were a good few Greyhound workers out with the Cadbury lads.
I've yet to hear about transport guys doing anything that doesn't directly benefit themselves. The strikes they pull at the Cork station are also a joke. Straight up shakedowns.
Fair enough! I have no skin in this game.

I guess I still tend to trust strikers. More fool me.

Get out there and organise other industries, demand all union construction sites, all union hotel workers. Support junior teachers pay claims. Whatever. Something that's not a fucking gripe fest about your tea breaks.

I have no time for this type of argument. It's the "why house immigrants when we have Irish people on the streets" or "why do you eat fish if you don't eat red meat" row all over again.

These rows are between workers and management, surely they only pull this type of thing when they feel the management aren't/won't listen. Same goes for the nurses etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back