Losing Weight (1 Viewer)

My friend's dad needed to lose a load of weight in order to have a hip replacement. He was solely consuming 3 milkshakes a day or something like that and the weight dropped off pretty spectacularly. Very spectacularly actually. He put on a bit afterwards but not too much.

There's about a thousand [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_sports"]sports[/ame] out there, why not try a few? I'd say you'd make a fine centre-half. A Slamball centre-half.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamball"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamball[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_sports"][/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamball"][/ame]

One thing I've noticed about home-cooking (healthily or no) for one is that it is really easy to make too big a portion of something. Last night I was making an Italian vegetable-y type thing. I was conscious of not making too much, tipping too much of every ingredient in, but in the end I still had made far too much. As well as this being potentially wasteful I think portion sizes is one way we can overeat without too consciously realising it. Anyway I haven't turned into a weight-loss guru yet....

As a disgusting old hag once screamed at me - "todays too much food is tomorrows healthy lunch"

One thing I've noticed about home-cooking (healthily or no) for one is that it is really easy to make too big a portion of something. Last night I was making an Italian vegetable-y type thing. I was conscious of not making too much, tipping too much of every ingredient in, but in the end I still had made far too much. As well as this being potentially wasteful I think portion sizes is one way we can overeat without too consciously realising it. Anyway I haven't turned into a weight-loss guru yet....

Buy smaller plates (seriously) and tupperware. Cooking for one involves freezing portions. Make things that can be warmed up and still taste good when reheated. *

* I should really take my own advice.

ETA: Vinnie and I should start a clinic.

winter's a shitty time to get healthy.

Tell me about it. Had managed to lose 6 lbs and in the last few wintry weeks I piled it all back on. You'd think my body was preparing for hibernation or something.

Any safe way to lose a stone in 3 weeks? No... didn't think so :)

the hunger mechanism triggered by blood sugar is triggered by blood glucose. so if you're consuming things with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or any other foods which are high in fructose, your body will kill the hunger signals later than is strictly required.

As long as the solution to everything involved either drinking water, going for a walk or reheating food we'd be the most successful clinic in the greater region.

Surely it is: move your ass, drinks lots of water, portion your food.
I'm like a dentist with bad teeth... I can tell you what to do but damned I've I'm gonna do it.

Weigh your pasta, rice etc - you'd be surprised how much you're eating; a restaurant-sized bowl of pasta is about 4 times as much as you should eat. If you're trying to lose weight, try no more than 40-50gs of dried rice and 30-60g of pasta. Or make twice that amount and bring half for lunch the next day. You'd be surprised how little you need to feel full! :) Our stomachs are a lot smaller than we think.
Like a few others have said, only choose wholegrain (or spelt) versions of grains, and brown rice. They have all of the grain in them so they are more filling and have more nutrients. If you don't like brown rice, the Uncle Ben's one is an easy way to start off on it (it's nice and soft) before going for the 'real' stuff.
Use less oil when cooking - a teaspoon should be enough, ignore when they say 3tbsbs etc, that's bollocks usually.

Personally I think starting a diet by saying 'I'm not going to eat any carbs/fat' etc is a recipe for disaster. You need fat, you need carbs, you need protein. But you need healthy, unprocessed versions and healthy amounts. You can't eat olive oil on everything and stay thin, usually!

Focus on what you ARE going to eat. Get excited about food, look forward to dinner and lunch (while knowing that it's healthy and balanced) and you'll feel so much more satisfied. There's also no shame in joining a weight loss programme, if that's what you want, it really does kick start things. I did one for a while and lost a stone and it's not a piece of cake (heh!) to keep it off, we all go up and down a bit. But I did find that focusing on 'points' and eating pretty nutrient-deficient food just because it was low-cal meant I was hungry a lot and only thinking about my next bar of chocolate. I love eating and I love food so the only way I can keep at a healthy weight is eating 'real' food the majority of the time. No one's perfect though. It's about finding what works for you - it'll change as you lose weight and change again if you plateau.

As long as the solution to everything involved either drinking water, going for a walk or reheating food we'd be the most successful clinic in the greater region.

I think you've got most things covered there. Feeling a bit blue? Take a brisk walk! Broke? Cook for yourself and reheat the leftovers! Headache? Drink some water.

See? Yis'll make a fortune.

I can't run for longer than a minute and a half before my back and hips going to bits on me - going for an MRI scan soon to see what's up with it. V frustrating, espcecially when I have a middle-aged manager who recently did a 4km swim, 150 km cycle and a marathon all in one day.

Anyway I put on a few pounds in Germany there recently, all that stodgy food and beer, I'm trying to go to the gym or aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and get the odd walk in too. I hope swimming in the sea at this time of year is a good calorie burner as well. And cutting down on the amount of rubbish I eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back