Losing Weight (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
I went to the doctor the other day, seems I'm not dying of something nasty. However, I am significantly overweight, I didn't really need to pay the doctor €55 to find that out but how and ever. I know the mechanisms by which I can lose weight and achieve better fitness and have begun implementing them but I'm curious who here has lost and kept off significant chunks of weight and what they found worked for them? Did anyone find weight training beneficial in this regard?
To pre-empt the first replier I suppose not posting on thumped all day is probably one way of getting more active.

Did anyone find weight training beneficial in this regard?

i smoke j's with a personal fitness instructor. he says that muscle actually weighs more then fat, so if you go on the weights you might see your gross weight increase initially, but technically your net weight is dropping. i'd say just walk an hour a day and you'll be rocking.

I'd never be a runner but I'd agree with the above statement of walking. Seems silly but just walk more. Walk a few extra stops before getting on a bus (if you need to) or walk the whole way. Take the stairs instead of lifts. Just make simple changes and you'd be amazed. Soon you don't even notice and it doesn't seem like a chore. Going to the gym for me would be a chore. The idea of working out is a chore. Walking home from work, not so much.

I'd never be a runner but I'd agree with the above statement of walking. Seems silly but just walk more. Walk a few extra stops before getting on a bus (if you need to) or walk the whole way. Take the stairs instead of lifts. Just make simple changes and you'd be amazed. Soon you don't even notice and it doesn't seem like a chore. Going to the gym for me would be a chore. The idea of working out is a chore. Walking home from work, not so much.

any opinions on jogging?

I walk quite a bit already but the doc said brisk is the only thing that'll do good (cardiovascularly that is). He recommended cycling and swimming. Too self conscious to swim in a pool and I like cycling but terrified out on the roads so I rarely do it :(.

Write down everything you eat-I know it sounds mental but seeing what you're eating, and how much of it, shows you what you need to start cutting down on and what you need to eat more of. I found it really helpful. A site like Sparkpeople.com is a way of tracking your food and working out the nutritional value of the foods. Focusing on wholegrains, fresh veg and fruit, three meals a day and healthy snacks is easier than focusing on what not to eat too :) don't put pressure on yourself or guilt yourself if you slip up, just get back on the wagon. You like cooking don't you? Maybe get a good low fat cookbook and cook your favourite meals out of that. You'll feel way more satisfied than eating a ready meal etc. And what the others said is really important. Good luck,and people are here if you want to chat about how you're getting on.

a few months ago I decided to get fitter, and I found that reading this was very useful. http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
I started a routine of cycling + weights based on this; http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
I also started eating healthier. as the link says, you don't really need to be extreme, just stop eating stuff bad for you, or limit it to once a week or so.
doing cardio one day and weights the next is good because it lets your body recover.

I walk quite a bit already but the doc said brisk is the only thing that'll do good (cardiovascularly that is). He recommended cycling and swimming. Too self conscious to swim in a pool and I like cycling but terrified out on the roads so I rarely do it :(.

My bike was stolen and you'd never see me in a pool either. I prefer distance to briskness. Just walk at a comfortable pace and do it longer. It definitely won't hurt and is still good cardio regardless. Stick on a few good albums or a book on tape and walk for a couple hours. Hell, even hop on a bus and go a good 15+ stops, get off and walk back along the route. If you get tired then you can hop back on. If on the northside, the walkway along the sea is nice to walk. There are also exercise machines along the way from Bull Island to town. Free, free, and free.

My bike was stolen and you'd never see me in a pool either. I prefer distance to briskness. Just walk at a comfortable pace and do it longer. It definitely won't hurt and is still good cardio regardless.

i shouldnt offer advice on things i know nothing about but... i think the doctor was right - you do have to get your heart rate up a bit to get the value out of your exercise. strolling along waterfront is nice though.

maybe try taking lessons in some sort of physical activity thats some bit appealing - the structured classes might get you in to the habit of doing it regularly. i went to swimming lessons this time last year even though i could already swim (but not very well), not to loose weight but just to try and get a bit fitter, so that had me out once a week to start with and before long i was going to the pool 3 or 4 times a week to swim 40 - 50 lengths. now that ive let it slide again i miss it.

I lost about 3 stone a few months ago. Just eating better. Less meat, less processed stuff, no white bread, spuds rarely etc. Lots of beans, lentils etc.

I think bringing you own lunch to work is important. There is no possible way of getting something deacent if you are relying on the nearest centra.

Thats it exactly. People lose weight and celebrate by putting it all back on. The only way to change your body shape sensibly is by altering your lifestyle. Try working exercise into your everyday routine. And great examples of that have been given.

And a sweat session or 2 a week never do any harm. A brisker walk, or a walk carrying some lightish weights will get your HR up a few more beats (and there is a direct correlation between your HR and calorie burn - but theres also a point beyond which you're only doing yourself damage - get to know your limits. Invest in a HR monitor, and work out whats good and whats not (and they'll tell you your calorie burn per session)).

And most importantly, cut out the shite from your diet. Some people can afford to eat crap because of how quickly they metabloise. Most can't. Eat fresh fruit instead of biscuits when you feel the need for a snack. Find foods that aren't necessarily substantial but make you feel full. And booze - booze is a killer - 10 pints of booze is roughly as calorific as 10 mars bars and no one in their right mind would stuff that many of them down their neck.

The bike is a great way to lose weight, but you generally won't raise the HR all that much so you'll need to spend time on it before noticing results.

And don't aim to lose weight - aim to lose body mass, otherwise the first couple of months could drive you bonkers. Gauge it by your clothes and by how you feel.

And its coming into winter, so develop a stubborn streak that won't let you give up and return to old ways.

and yeah, eventually, jogging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back