Living in Melbourne (1 Viewer)

Typical, I don't logon to Thumped in months and there's a 13 page thread all about my new city!

I've been here since the end of February and have to say I think it's the shit, mostly. I live in Kensington which is about 15 minutes north-west of the city, fairly close to Brunswick where I spend most of my time. Pretty much in my comfort zone now and can say that my favourite places are: Pony, the Tote for gigs, The Toff in Town has got a great range of stuff and has a class, free disco night every saturday from 12 to late, have seen Glass Candy and Telephathe in there too. There is a new post-punk/no wave night called Noise Annoys which I haven't been to yet but is supposed to be fantastic, The Loop is ok, really hit-and-miss, E55 is class for late drinks'ndub, Gertrudes Brown Couch is pretty cool, as is most of Gertrude St.

Bands wise, Breaker Morant are really cool post-punk band, Love is Science Fiction are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, the Noise Club Band were an amazing autonomous, noise-improv collective but played their last gig in the Pony on Saturday night, Barrage, AOI, Qua and Flesh vs. Venom (also sadly now gone) are all great. Horse Bazarr on Little Lonsdale St. is a really cool place to catch experimental/electronic stuff.

Melbourne also has constant arts/film/theatre/music festivals. But, the Vegie Bar on Brunswick St is probably the greatest thing in Melbourne.

And the most important question - who is going to ATP?!

Typical, I don't logon to Thumped in months and there's a 13 page thread all about my new city!

I've been here since the end of February and have to say I think it's the shit, mostly. I live in Kensington which is about 15 minutes north-west of the city, fairly close to Brunswick where I spend most of my time. Pretty much in my comfort zone now and can say that my favourite places are: Pony, the Tote for gigs, The Toff in Town has got a great range of stuff and has a class, free disco night every saturday from 12 to late, have seen Glass Candy and Telephathe in there too. There is a new post-punk/no wave night called Noise Annoys which I haven't been to yet but is supposed to be fantastic, The Loop is ok, really hit-and-miss, E55 is class for late drinks'ndub, Gertrudes Brown Couch is pretty cool, as is most of Gertrude St.

Bands wise, Breaker Morant are really cool post-punk band, Love is Science Fiction are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, the Noise Club Band were an amazing autonomous, noise-improv collective but played their last gig in the Pony on Saturday night, Barrage, AOI, Qua and Flesh vs. Venom (also sadly now gone) are all great. Horse Bazarr on Little Lonsdale St. is a really cool place to catch experimental/electronic stuff.

Melbourne also has constant arts/film/theatre/music festivals. But, the Vegie Bar on Brunswick St is probably the greatest thing in Melbourne.

I was in a bar called Tryst on Chapel st on sunday. Just behind that bridey o'reileys monstrosity.
Good place. Especially for sunday drinks when the weather is good

I cycled by that place the other day! Is it the one right down near the start of the street, in Brunswick? I live in Brunswick. It's rad. I've never eaten so much as I have in the last two weeks... I ate so much veggie Mexican last night I could barely get back up on my bike. It was amazing. This city is cool. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow because I've reacted so badly to mozzer bites though (swelling, bruising and hardening of the leg area). Can anyone recommend a doctor?

I'm seriously considering going to ATP, except none of my mates will be there so it'd be pretty weird.

Brizvegas! I was only there for a week and spent it living in a hostel trying to buy a car, so i can't really say, but i hear it's backpacker central, but then again so is the rest of the east coast. NT til death!

I cycled by that place the other day! Is it the one right down near the start of the street, in Brunswick? I live in Brunswick. It's rad. I've never eaten so much as I have in the last two weeks... I ate so much veggie Mexican last night I could barely get back up on my bike. It was amazing. This city is cool. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow because I've reacted so badly to mozzer bites though (swelling, bruising and hardening of the leg area). Can anyone recommend a doctor?

I'm seriously considering going to ATP, except none of my mates will be there so it'd be pretty weird.
Did you have any trouble getting a place in brunswick??

good schtuff. how are ya settlin in? brunswick is nice. done any cool sh1t yet or just get settled?

the mozzers are a pain. wait till the flys come out in nov/dec they're great craic.

Brizvegas! I was only there for a week and spent it living in a hostel trying to buy a car, so i can't really say, but i hear it's backpacker central, but then again so is the rest of the east coast. NT til death!

im sick to the teeth of backpackers.

whats the situation on the ground in the outback these days with regard to rednecks? is it possible to make a life amongst them?

Cheers FC, this one looks sexy!

PORT MELBOURNE $173
Last updated: 4 days ago
Relevance: 100%
propertytype_unit.gif
bedrooms.gif

bathrooms.gif

1 Sexy 3 bedroom apartment in the heart of Port Melbourne

• perfect place for summer BBQ'S
contact Dani on-0431 559 532 or Anthony on- 0406661611 or email at [email protected]

http://www.flatmate.com.au/content.php/9.html

Did you have any trouble getting a place in brunswick??

I had it ridiculously easy but that's because a room came up in a house with acquaintance/friend types. V.cheap and awesome it is. However, in the process of looking for somewhere, I found the noticeboard at the cafe in Ceres really good for cheap gaffs in the area...

good schtuff. how are ya settlin in? brunswick is nice. done any cool sh1t yet or just get settled?

the mozzers are a pain. wait till the flys come out in nov/dec they're great craic.

I'm settling in marvelously, thanks dude. It's a fucking COOL city. People are so friendlyand the area is really easy to navigate. Everythings so much less stressful than Dublin. Went for a trip out the great ocean road last week as far as Apollo Bay. It was absolutely magnificent. Really breathtaking stuff, the whole journey (after GEElong).

Flies are fucking assholes. They won't leave you alone. Is it bad in summer yeah?
When's it gonna get mad warm?

I'm settling in marvelously, thanks dude. It's a fucking COOL city. People are so friendlyand the area is really easy to navigate. Everythings so much less stressful than Dublin. Went for a trip out the great ocean road last week as far as Apollo Bay. It was absolutely magnificent. Really breathtaking stuff, the whole journey (after GEElong).

Flies are fucking assholes. They won't leave you alone. Is it bad in summer yeah?

Flies get worse soon!
It gets hotter from now until jan & feb.
Jan and feb will be up late 30's weekly. Usually peaking out at 42c maybe 43c some days.

'member you were thinkin of movin to geelong? bet your glad you didnt!
I was surfin in torquay on saturday. Broke my side-ass on rocks. beautiful day though

im sick to the teeth of backpackers.

whats the situation on the ground in the outback these days with regard to rednecks? is it possible to make a life amongst them?
Move to the territory, the people there are absolutely amazing. The only arseholes i ever met were people up on holiday from victoria/nsw/sa. Get a job in a roadhouse and meet some proper ocker ozzies, i found them a lot friendlier and all round deadlier than city ozzies.

I had it ridiculously easy but that's because a room came up in a house with acquaintance/friend types. V.cheap and awesome it is. However, in the process of looking for somewhere, I found the noticeboard at the cafe in Ceres really good for cheap gaffs in the area...

Hey Aoife, the corner house off Nicholson up to Ceres was my old gaf for 6 months. Not the bashed in garage door but the grey one just behind it in Kingfisher Gardens, i love that whole area, are you in East, West or just Brun Brunswick?

Im in Argentina for the last month yet i somehow still yearn for my life in Melbourne. Enjoy every seconed, vegie bar is indeed amazing, high street in Northcote is also great, 303 and Wesley (very different) and the Social Club, east brunswick social club does cheap ass parmas weekdays, $6 or somethin, the Lomond hotel (pub) is where i worked, also beside CERES and my gaf, if you can stands it in a bar it was the most relaxed place i ever worked with decent live music for free on weekends

Niall

That's the one! Brilliant place, was considering heading up there for lunch today but just bought a sandwich and sat by the Yarra and watched the rowers instead, wasn't so bad!

Glad you're getting on well, my girlfriend and I and two other friends are heading to ATP so if you do decide to head I'm sure we can arrange it so you're not completely alone.:)

Looks like I'm heading up to Swan Hill in the next week or two to do the fruit picking to get the extension on my visa, talk about a pain in the hole but not much you can do about it. Anyone done this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back