Living in Melbourne (1 Viewer)

In Richmond cycling in such a reckless manner is often greeted with a look of stern disapproval combined with the muttering of mildly insulting comments.!baggyyyy

here lads, whats the deal with the recession there and stuff? is there any point emigrating to australia these days? i wont get there for about a year

well that was hopelessly optimistic of me. i got an email this morning saying my application is unlikely to be processed before the end of 2012. ffs, i'll be retired by then.

well that was hopelessly optimistic of me. i got an email this morning saying my application is unlikely to be processed before the end of 2012. ffs, i'll be retired by then.

Read an article about the restrictions that will come into play next year alright, but didn't realise it will take that long. I'm currently awaiting a defacto visa which I'm hoping will come through in the next few months but it's a slightly nervous wait too.

Whats a defacto visa? I applied for a skilled migrant visa sponsored by my sister, when i applied earlier in the year the expected processing time was 9 to 12 months. Another 3 years doesnt suit me at all.

Whats a defacto visa? I applied for a skilled migrant visa sponsored by my sister, when i applied earlier in the year the expected processing time was 9 to 12 months. Another 3 years doesnt suit me at all.

De Fatco is generally a common law visa. For example if your common law girlfriend or your wife gets a working visa you are entitled to an open work permit based on theirs.

I tried the skilled workers visa here in Ontario and again they said it would take 1 - 1.5 years. Been living with my girlfriend here for over a year now so just went down the common law route instead and it it is only taking 3-4 months to process that.

My sisters boyfriend got a de facto permit off her application. They have been in Broome for the last 3 years or so. They both have residency in Oz now though.

P.S- Why don't you go over on a USIT visa while you are waiting. If you made an outland application it shouldn't affect the process at all.

P.S- Why don't you go over on a USIT visa while you are waiting. If you made an outland application it shouldn't affect the process at all.

if the USIT visa is a working holiday visa then im too old for that. i would consider going to canada for a year with usit but i object to paying them €500 when people in other countries can just apply to their canadian embassy directly for a fraction of that price.

if the USIT visa is a working holiday visa then im too old for that. i would consider going to canada for a year with usit but i object to paying them €500 when people in other countries can just apply to their canadian embassy directly for a fraction of that price.

Fair enough. One thing about Canada is though that if you have a year here and you qualify under skill workers conditions they will fast track your application for permanent residency and you can work while it is being processed.

From what I can gather from sisters experience and mine it is a more straightforward process in Canada for permanent residency than Australia.

Best of luck either way and if you need any information on her experience I could email her and find out because they got their permanent residency based on being skilled workers sponsored by my uncle.

My folks are actually moving there too this year.

sound, thanks for that. i guess if they offer me a visa in a few years i will decide whether or not to take it. i might start thinking about canada again too, ireland has gone to the dogs altogether.

sound, thanks for that. i guess if they offer me a visa in a few years i will decide whether or not to take it. i might start thinking about canada again too, ireland has gone to the dogs altogether.

They've recently change the laws regarding skilled migrant independant visas (in october 09, I think).
They are accepting applications but not processing them and quoting something like 3 years processing time. They just get thrown on a pile. And may or may not be processed eventually.
The exception is if your profession is on the Critical Skills List.

( http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf )

I was reading the new rules this morning, and it applies to any applications received before the new rules came in too. im way down towards the bottom of the list of priorities. Im quite annoyed - i gave australia $2100 for that visa and theyve tossed me on the pile.

The brother's girlfriend is German but grew up in the states, though was never a resident. She's went for residency a few years back, sent off all the forms and everything, and about 11 months later got a letter saying "your application has been received and will be reviewed in the next 1500 days", though in the end it only took about three months.

Anyone know about/have any contacts in the animation or graphics industry in Melbourne? Gonna be relocating there sometime later this year and know SFA about the scene there.

I'm probably shouting into the void again here, but does anyone know of decent cheapish accomodation in Melbourne? Heading down for a weekend next month.

Myself and the girlfriend are relocating from Brisbane to Melbourne next month. At the moment we have neither jobs lined up nor a place to stay, but enough budgeted to go down and hit the streets for a week or so. Anyone recommend any decent, affordable hostels that we could base ourselves in while we search for accomodation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back