Living in Melbourne (1 Viewer)

Squalch

Melbourne seems a lot like America for getting a gaff...application forms, bank balances, ucky 12mth leases etc. We're just looking for a gaff for 6 months. Anyone got any tips? Is it a biggie to break a lease over here...whats too much to pay etc.
thanks

ClassicAdventure.jpg

way_of_the_exploding_fist_01.gif

23457.jpg

sc-terr.jpg

sorry

hey brian,
why not do what we did. how many of you are there? get an apartment in southbank. there's a company that organises them there. what we did was get 4 people in a three bedroom apartment and it wasn't too bad. we had a lot of fun anyway. sure you remember. you were there. or you could do what all the backpackers do and go out to st kilda. or you could just tell them you'll be there for a year and then just forefit the lease. go for it. melbourne's my favourite city. i fuckin love it. let us know what you're up to righ?

theres a company that organise apartments for backpackers there in a good location beside the main train station city centre. and there pretty reasonable and air conditioned. with a gym and swimming pool on the building . only problem is i cant remember the name of the company but shouldn't be hard to find on the net.

cheers guys. was hoping i wouldnt have to go to an apartment and luckily enough we saw a sign up to share a house and we got it. for the record go to Readings bookshop on Lygon st. on the side window theres loads of adverts for gaffs saves having to go an agency or fork out for a massive bond. . . or buy furniture for that matter!

I was just about to say Readings! Where did you get the house? I lived in Melbourne in 2003 and 2005/2006. In 2003 I lived on campus in the University but on my return I lived in Northcote, in a lovely bungalow, rent was only 80 dollars (50 euro) a week as far as I can recall. I miss Melbourne so much d00ds.

yo,

im now in the same predicament Squalch was a few days ago. Looking for a noce gaf and not wanting to go the st. kildas route or fill out too many forms can anyone just let me crash on their couch for a few months?

nah,its 2 of us too, but 2 lads, so i guess a 2 room gaf/apt.ideas?thanks

Amazing, I was just about to start a Melbourne thread.

I move there next month, not backpacking but to live and teach. That's a great tip about the accommodation ads in Readings as that was one of my main worries.

Not to hijack the thread but anyone who has spent some time in Melbourne fancy recommending some good clubs, gig venues, record stores, etc. I have heard of the Prince and the Glass Candy Myspace says they're playing a venue called Tie Me Kangaroo Down in March, anyone shed any light on these?

Northcote Social Club, had architecture in helskini, cat power, loads of stuff like that every week while I was there in 2005. Good time of the year for gigs in Oz now, lots of northern hemisphere bands decamp there for our winter. Melbourne has so many good bars and restaurants there is not point me even attempting to recommend some, just go out and adventure round, seriously, try Fitzroy, Brunswick areas, supposedly the counter-cultural side to melbourne! Loads of great grub and cool bars that look like they will be knocked in the morning, mismatching sofas, fairy lights, grafittie everywhere, sweaty Chopper types lurking at the bar. ha ha. fuck I loved it out there.

Theres a place in Carlton called Reading bookshop where rooms and houses are advertises on the wall.
I live in Carlton and its sooooooo sexy!

I didn't realise there were so many of yis in Melbourne. I've been here for about 2 years now. Wanna go drinkin!? ANZAC long weekend comin' up!

Richmond is my favourite spot to live. Hard to get a place though + expensive. I live in the docklands at the moment.
St kilda is great if your only gonna be here for a few weeks/couple of months.

great bars in the cbd are:

* St Jeromes - outdoor + cheap + plays great party music + packed.

* Section 8 (if it's still open) - outdoors, converted carpak, the bar itself is a shipping container

*the manturiot - expensive but great for cocktails especially if trying to smooch a beeyatch, and you have to walk down a dodgy alley to get to it

*miss libertines - great atmosphere and they always have good gigs on there (paul hatrnoll and doc scott are some ive seen in recent times)

* The croft institute - big of a novelty place. done up like a laboratory (test tubes etc), have to walk down wee smelling alleys to get to it, sometimes good djs play upstairs

* traffic on 3rd floor of fed square has the best views of the city, is nothing like transport downstairs, usually have jazz bands playing, expensive though. wear shoes not runners kinda place

* Pony - great when your looking for somewhere to drink from 2am - 7am, tatooed and pierced people listening to metal and punk bands upstairs. (theire dress code is anyone wearing a suit is not allowed in no matter what)

* Revolver (not cbd, its on chapel st) - if you want a BIG night. usually poopular 'underground' kind of electro stuff here. opens for 72 hours over the weekend. usually a que to get in after 3am. i've left at 10am and the ques been out the door.

ahh great place is melbourne...

Have you ventured up brunswick street way?
There is a pub/club called Nightcats, its good, well worth a visit.
One of the girls behind the bar is the sexiest and most beautiful girl in the world. I would love to eat every bit of her.|..|

Have you ventured up brunswick street way?
There is a pub/club called Nightcats, its good, well worth a visit.
One of the girls behind the bar is the sexiest and most beautiful girl in the world. I would love to eat every bit of her.|..|

I always get mixed up between the nightcat and blackcats (both in brunswick).
I've been in both mind you. which one has the live jazz band?

I always get mixed up between the nightcat and blackcats (both in brunswick).
I've been in both mind you. which one has the live jazz band?
Yeah thats nightcats! Fuckin good band too! Do you know the girl behind the bar im on about??? Please say yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back