Living in Melbourne (1 Viewer)

As long as the flies don't crawl into my brain, swell up, make me sneeze cough cry and be dopey, I can handle em.
Thanks for the help Fantzy.

no problem. Are you simply escaping the recession or is it to do with a warrant/national security issue?

Somewhere on one of the tram routes. St Kilda is nice, especially if you can get somewhere on Acland St. or near the beach. You'll be near albert park, and tram access to the city. Richmond has a lot of character too.
I'd second Jrads suggestions below also.

If you have a bit of spare money, stay in Southbank along the Yarra river. It's pram pushing distance to the city, botanic gardens, aquarium, arts centre, cafe's etc. The walk along the river to the MCG is nice too.

Melbourne is really cold at the moment by the way, but if you wanted to be near the beach, great ocean road etc you could stay down in torquay.
If you wanted to stay near the city Carlton, Brunswick or Fitzroy have a pretty alternative vibe to them and are nice, clean areas.

LAND_Type-96_Tanks_lg.jpg

A heady mixture of both, if all goes according to plan.
Hitting the road[plane] in early October and hoping someone will offer to keep me for a year or two when I get there.

hey Aoife,

I live in East Brunswick, right on the end of the 96 Tramline, its a fucking great area. 15minutes to the city, 10 to Fitzroy/Brunswick street, Northcote is 10 minutes East, Lygon St/Sydney Road-Carlton are 10 minutes West and the Airport is only about 25 minutes north (Tullamarine). I cycled everywhere, took even less time.

My rent is unbelievably cheap in a share house with 3 other people. ($103 per week/66euro?) its a huge gaf (although paper thin walls) with a front and back garden and an environmental park next door, a fucking cool pub (The Lomond) with free live music 5 nights a week and an independent radio station across the road (Triple R).

Rent in or around the city is closer to $150+ per week. Hostel it up for the first week in the Nunnery in Fitzroy/Carlton and get on gumtree, go to Readings bookstore-Lygon Street or Friends of The Earth-Smith Street for long term rented accommodation.

Best areas as far as Im concerned are Fitzroy, Carlton, Northcote, Brunswick / Brunswick East. South of the city i guess Richmond/St Kilda but not as cool as Northern Suburbs. Hope that helps

OMG!! Thanks Jacko, that's deadly. I'll be in touch before I hit the upside down vibes and maybe we can meet up for a pint of neighbours and listen to Australian Pink Floyd tapes! Or pints! Whatevz!

Hey Fancy/Cloghnaghn:

Would it be silly/mega stressful to get a job in Geelong (heh heh) if I'm living in Central Melbourne?

OMG!! Thanks Jacko, that's deadly. I'll be in touch before I hit the upside down vibes and maybe we can meet up for a pint of neighbours and listen to Australian Pink Floyd tapes! Or pints! Whatevz!

Hey Fancy/Cloghnaghn:

Would it be silly/mega stressful to get a job in Geelong (heh heh) if I'm living in Central Melbourne?

Geelong is nice enough, but I wouldn't be interested in living there. It's main features are an airport and it's closer than melbourne to the popular surfing beaches & Great Ocean road.

It's not a suburb of Melbourne, it's a city about an hours drive away. Therefore living in Melbourne and working in Geelong would entail a 2hr daily commute...
If it's the job of your dreams consider it, otherwise I would strongly advise against.

By the by, they pronounce it "Jeh-long" and never get my secret Irish joke when I say GEE-long!

But I get your joke. It's gazzz. There's Gippsland near by. Those Australians are even funnier than Indians!

Thanks for the heads up though. The jobs great but I don't think I want that kind of travelling stress.

bionic ear lane i saw outside Melbourne, defo my fav

on the way up the east coast i saw, and these are close to each other in New South Wales

1>BALD KNOB ROAD

2>OLD CUNT ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant

Just waiting on our flight to Melbourne now. Sydney was nice, so Melbourne better be too.

bionic ear lane i saw outside Melbourne, defo my fav

on the way up the east coast i saw, and these are close to each other in New South Wales

1>BALD KNOB ROAD

2>OLD CUNT ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant

haha! I can't believe the second one! Did you actually see that or did someone mention it to you? I wouldn't be suprised if it's local slang for "Old Country Road" or something.

Bionic: proof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back