Lisbon Treaty (1 Viewer)

I'm voting

• Total voters
€8.8m. Maybe they took their donations and put it on a horse, that nobody remembers the name of. Or something.

Ha!

To be fair now lads it's not just Fianna Fail. That €8.8m is the difference in disclosed donations and actual money spent on the last election across all the major parties. Breaks down as follows:

Fianna Fáil - €3m;
Fine Gael - €2.6m;
Labour - €1.3m;
PDs - €1m;
Sinn Féin - €450,000;
Greens - €476,000.

Since they only have to disclose donations over €5,000 each of them would claim that the discrepancy is explained by the fact that the majority of their donations are under 5K and therefore don't show up in these figures.

It's not very transparent but still a far cry from a private lobby organization like Libertas who, as I understand it, are under no obligation to anyone to disclose anything about the source of their funding/donations. Or am I wrong about that?

Ah, there we are now

Irish 'need new EU treaty vote'

Mr Roche says the Irish people still see the EU project as "vital"

The Irish Republic may need to hold a second referendum on the EU's Lisbon Treaty, despite its rejection by voters in June, an Irish minister says.
Irish Europe Minister Dick Roche said that "because we've already had a referendum on this issue I think the people will have to be consulted".
He told the Irish broadcaster RTE that this was his "personal view".
The other 26 EU member states will probably all have ratified the reform treaty by Christmas, he said.
Previously Irish ministers have insisted it is too early to say how best to proceed with treaty ratification, following the No vote - by a margin of 7% - in the 12 June referendum.
Mr Roche said that before a possible second referendum "there's a lot of work to be done," in the RTE interview on Monday.
"The government is involved in detailed research to isolate the specific matters that were most sensitive in the minds of voters as we went to the polls on 12 June… those matters then have to be addressed," he said.
Last month Italy became the 23rd EU member state to approve the reform treaty, which is aimed at improving decision-making in the enlarged EU.
EU summit briefing
The Irish government will present a "position report" to an EU summit in October, Mr Roche said, which would not be a final roadmap.
"Towards the end of the year we'll have to decide what our timetable is," he added.
EU leaders signed up to the treaty but ratification has been slow

"We cannot exclude the possibility that at some stage and in the right circumstances it may be necessary to consult the people again," he said.
He argued that there was no appetite for renegotiating the treaty in Europe and that it was "the product of many years of hard work".
He said work must be done to "disengage Ireland" from Eurosceptics such as the UK Independence Party and others "who regard the European project as anathema".
The treaty has to be ratified by all 27 member states in order to take effect.
The treaty was originally meant to be in place in January 2009 - well ahead of the European Parliament elections in June 2009. The Irish Republic was the only EU member state to hold a referendum on the treaty. The other countries that have not yet ratified it are the Czech Republic, Poland and Sweden. Critics see the treaty as further evidence of a federalist, pro-integration agenda at work in the EU. They say the treaty is just a modified version of the EU constitution, rejected by French and Dutch voters in 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7580870.stm

No one takes Roche seriously.

Adolfo Celi.

http://marginrelease.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/200px-emilio_largo_by_adolfo_celi.jpg
200px-emilio_largo_by_adolfo_celi.jpg

has anyone come across any decent evidence of public opposition to the ratification of Lisbon in other member states?

has anyone come across any decent evidence of public opposition to the ratification of Lisbon in other member states?

Anecdotally, from travelling through Sweden and Denmark at the time of the referendum, yes in those two countries. In Netherlands too, maybe, but it's harder to say cause I think it's so mixed there and they did vote no previously.

Anecdotally, from travelling through Sweden and Denmark at the time of the referendum, yes in those two countries. In Netherlands too, maybe, but it's harder to say cause I think it's so mixed there and they did vote no previously.

it's weird isn't it. I have no idea how you would go about researching these things? Public opinion is mediated by the state, corporate media and politically motivated independent media.

i was in Bosnia/Slovenia just before the Lisbon vote in Ireland and I was getting different vibes from the people we spoke to - they seemed cautiously pro-EU.

I'm too punk to vote and yet I voted No.
When Lisbon II comes in, I'm going to cancel out my last vote with a Yes.
Cosmic balance and my street cred will both be restored.

Croatia fears Ireland's No to Lisbon is blocking accession

CROATIAN FOREIGN minister Gordan Jandrokovic has warned it will be politically very difficult for Croatia to join the EU as planned in 2010 unless Ireland can ratify the Lisbon Treaty.

But he said yesterday he was confident the Government and its European partners would solve the problem caused by the Irish No vote before Zagreb finished its accession talks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2008/0908/1220629614521.html

so anyway, i was at a workshop earlier and one of the session speakers was from DG Enterprise and Industry of the European Commission. The discussion was on design/innovation/regional economic development/sustainable development and all that.

Her discussion was emphasising how the Lisbon agenda was about making europe the worlds most sustainable knowledge economy, maintaining the european social model, maintaining the self-reinforcing domains of economic/environment/society, developing social capital etc ..

not a word about the irish vote, not a schniff of a reverse or stalling of the Lisbon process......

what should I make of that?

so anyway, i was at a workshop earlier and one of the session speakers was from DG Enterprise and Industry of the European Commission. The discussion was on design/innovation/regional economic development/sustainable development and all that.

Her discussion was emphasising how the Lisbon agenda was about making europe the worlds most sustainable knowledge economy, maintaining the european social model, maintaining the self-reinforcing domains of economic/environment/society, developing social capital etc ..

not a word about the irish vote, not a schniff of a reverse or stalling of the Lisbon process......

what should I make of that?

she thinks your a bomb making paddy. fuck off back where you came from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7776961.stm

The Irish Republic is willing to hold a second referendum on the EU's reform treaty if given certain guarantees by the EU, a spokesman has told the BBC.

Those legally binding guarantees are to be discussed by EU leaders at a summit in Brussels.
The Lisbon Treaty has been on ice since being rejected by Irish voters in June.

The summit is also due to take crucial decisions on EU measures to tackle climate change, and to consider an EU-wide economic stimulus plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back