Lisbon Treaty (1 Viewer)

I'm voting

• Total voters
I voted Yes, but am not in favour of another referendum unless - seriously - if there is a yes vote next time they agree to make it 'best of three' and hold a deciding referendum in 2010.

well now.... according to a french journalist just speaking on BBC News 24,the reason the EU is so weak on Israel / Palestine is because there's no EU President, which there would have been by now had we not voted no...

it's all our fault.

is because there's no EU President, which there would have been by now had we not voted no...

Uh the EU President had nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty, unless I'm badly mistaken. The current pres is the Czech Republic who only took over on Wednesday.. Perhaps that's why there's been no strong response yet..

why does the EU president have to make the statement?
why can't Cowen, Brown, Merkel, Sarkozy blah blah blah all come out and say, lads, yis can't be herding rakes of Palastinians into buildings and promptly mortaring the ever loving fuck out it. That's just not cricket.
And so on.

I mean, it's all fine if the Czech Premier wants to speak out alone, or as the head of the EU (assuming he recieves backing for the latter) but what is stopping the individual heads of state coming out and saying something?

Uh the EU President had nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty, unless I'm badly mistaken. The current pres is the Czech Republic who only took over on Wednesday.. Perhaps that's why there's been no strong response yet..

what the lisbon treaty aimed to was to make the position of president an independent position for 2 and a half year term instead of being the government of an eu country for just 6 months

Sarkozy in his role as il presidente of france has worked with the egyptian government in a peace deal which has met verbal agreement of both israel and palestine however sadly bombs are still flying

Sarkozy in his role as il presidente of france has worked with the egyptian government in a peace deal which has met verbal agreement of both israel and palestine however sadly bombs are still flying

That's cos no one takes Sarkozy seriously. Due to the fact that he's a prick.

Israel is flexing its muscles cos it's not quite sure what Obama's going to be like and there's no one to stop them. Don't worry, lads, he'll take it up the hole like the rest of them and let you get away with murder.

A lot of people I know who either didn't vote or voted yes the last time are now saying they'll vote no, just cos the Govt. are trying to force iton them again. I reckon it'll be passed the next time because I have no more faith in the electorate who will be scare-mongered into voting yes. Sure, didn't our voting No cause a recession? Regardless of the fact that it's a world-wide recession going on that was well on its way before hand.

Soon the EU is supposed to approving guarantees for Ireland covering abortion, tax, defence and soverignty.
Will these and the fact we're in a recession be enough to get a yes vote next time?

Soon the EU is supposed to approving guarantees for Ireland covering abortion, tax, defence and soverignty.
Will these and the fact we're in a recession be enough to get a yes vote next time?

I'd say the fact that we're in a recession is more than enough even without those so-called guarantees. Another no against Lisbon would see us totally adrift. One letter short of Iceland etc...

The more power that's taken away from Irish government and given off to pretty much anyone else the better.

Like Duncan biscuits said, Ireland is that sad demented dickhead on the daytime TV show that won the lottery and had everything given to them on a plate, yet still managed to blow it.

I'd say the fact that we're in a recession is more than enough even without those so-called guarantees. Another no against Lisbon would see us totally adrift. One letter short of Iceland etc...

We're not the only country in recession. It wasn't caused by the Government. It was caused by the deregulation of the banking sector and greed, particularly the USA's banking sector. The Government is guilty of mis-managing the recovery from this recession, but they didn't cause it. Voting yes for Lisbon wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. Note what the Brits are doing and compare it to us. At least they have a chance.

No
Anarcho Munk, Beanstalk, Bunny, byrneos, Dktr. Faustus, frona, gajbireland, Gambra, Goff, HMD, jane, johnnystress, La La, lucky_dresden, magnetize, maims bond, mazunte, moose, morg, Mormon Nailer, muffin, nEiLo, nlgbbbblth, nofunchee, oootini, pete, Roisin, sarah, socmot, The Scientician, the strange guy, TrueLoveWaits

you gonna change your vote? just curious

We're not the only country in recession. It wasn't caused by the Government. It was caused by the deregulation of the banking sector and greed, particularly the USA's banking sector. The Government is guilty of mis-managing the recovery from this recession, but they didn't cause it. Voting yes for Lisbon wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. Note what the Brits are doing and compare it to us. At least they have a chance.

right.

but the fact that the Irish government decided that the best way to run its economy was taxing a property bubble suggests they are not competent to run a country.

And that every step that can be taken to force Ireland into behaving in a reasonable way, regardless of what some Kerry hurler promised his Ma on her death bed and is willing to ransom the Dail over, the better.

Nah, our recession is much more deep rooted. The international downturn may have set the ball rolling, but our economy was seriously mismanaged for a very long time. Depending on indefinitely increasing property prices was foolish as was the emphasis placed on Direct Foreign Investment while our competitiveness slowly slipped was another. We're fucked.

Anyway, being in the EU is handy if we completely bankrupt ourselves. I'd rather have the EU bail us out rather than the IMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back