Life Upstream (2 Viewers)

The main dissappointement of life upstream is the lack of spiralling keyboard solos a la Yes. I was promised Rick Wakeman-esque keyboard 'movements' and bought the album on the strength of this. Pah! I thumb my nose at thee, Settler!

the ink is so thick on those tshirts they give you a bit of the sweaty chest...

I listen to the album in 2 parts, old school loke, side a and side b...
cuts the length

you guys are my market research

the next album is going to be short, tight, with lots of spiralling bits

it's going to be called "The Stingy Dwarf with Springs"

Hector: you're on the internet and you're not even in work. And I never got my cappucino.

Ro: I hope you paid for that shirt.

Meaty: I like your beard.

Pantone: $kull $tarrs will blow Settler and Capratone out of the water

Hapi: wanna go on a date?

Originally posted by snakybus
you guys are my market research
Hector: you're on the internet and you're not even in work. And I never got my cappucino.

i'm here til the 14th of march. beware the ides.

here buh, lets do it. you get your people onto my people and we'll hammer out a proposal.

Originally posted by uncle_meat
The main dissappointement of life upstream is the lack of spiralling keyboard solos a la Yes. I was promised Rick Wakeman-esque keyboard 'movements' and bought the album on the strength of this. Pah! I thumb my nose at thee, Settler!

The last time I tried anything remotely flashy on the keyboard I ended up with tendonitis in my left wrist that lasted 9 months! And I have heard all of the wrist-related jokes in the world from the rest of Settler (except Fiona who maintains decorum at all times).
Apologies for lack of spiralling. Maybe next time.

Originally posted by Anthony

Repeated Listens: Still a bit of a long haul through all those songs but cut out the dodgy ones (or is that dodgily played?) and there is a class album there. I implore anyone to play it at least 4 or 5 times more. Some of it is actually amazing!

Which ones did you think were dodgy/dodgily played? Let us know and we will have the appropriate band members sacked!

Originally posted by snakybus
$kull $tarrs will blow Settler and Capratone out of the water

It gets worse. When I first came across the concept it was just $KULL $TAR. Now it's $kull $tarrs with double r's n' everything. I think that sentence should perhaps be cropped to "$kull $tarrs will blow."

Originally posted by Wilbert
The last time I tried anything remotely flashy on the keyboard I ended up with tendonitis in my left wrist that lasted 9 months! And I have heard all of the wrist-related jokes in the world from the rest of Settler (except Fiona who maintains decorum at all times).
Apologies for lack of spiralling. Maybe next time.

YOU LIE!! Its derek stifling your creativity!
You don't have to stand tall, but you gotta stand up!

P.s. you guys know I love the album. Aww, you guys :D

Oh yeah, I also meant to say that I like the album a lot. It's a total grower though - definitely have to listen to it a good few times before you find yourself singing about panaceas and such. ****

here's the hot press review:
Settler
Life upstream
(Fairview House Records)
21 Feb 2003

Settler first committed their recordings to an eponymous EP in 2001, an interesting if not particularly mind-blowing release on Mango Music. Rather than tread the same water again in long player form, Life Upstream truly sparkles. Previously, it was a little underwhelming, “we’re strumming here in the corner if anybody is interested” sort of stuff. Now this acoustic alt-pop is bristling with attitude and razor sharp lyrics, fusing melancholia with dark gallows humour and pithy one liners.

“Digest all the fables, this meat and potatoes,” intones opener ‘The Blatant Truth’ – a super starting point and an indicator of their bruising honesty. ‘Shave When I’m Drunk’ and ‘Write To Your Mother’ are wonderful meaty nuggets of skewered pop arrangements. Nora O’Connor pops up on ‘Left Behind’, a chanteuse who has graced recordings by the likes of the Handsome Family in the past. Settler have a wonderful feel for rhyme and alliteration; “When you’re languishing/Almost vanishing from a steady stream of fluctuating fates/In this kid of languor you might even pander to a caricature of Irish literature.” Vocals from space popper Tim O’Donovan (electro wunderkind who is NeoSupervital), Mike Stevens and Derek McCormack facilitate nice contrasts and different tones.

Life Upstream is a serious upping of quality and raising of the bar. Hitch a ride and put the feet back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back