John Meagher vs. pretty much every Irish musician, particularly egg_ (1 Viewer)

Meagher:
crying.gif

A hack with no legs is a useless hack.

I've said it before. I'll say it again:

The irish independent is nothing more than bad journalism hiding behind a self-made banner of national pride.

The shame of it. Forget about it already.

nEiLo said:
it does. i wonder if meagher will gimme the contact details so we can get him for lazybird

Nah, we'll just get this instead:

powerslaves.jpg

Powerslaves: An Elektro Tribute to Iron Maiden

1 Fear Of The Dark - Alex Stark & The Replicant
2 Wrathchild - Acid Junkies
3 Purgatory - Macondo
4 Aces High - Imatran Voima
5 Flash Of The Blade - Captain Ahab
6 Running Free - Kitbuilders
7 Wasted Years - Ra-X
8 Run To The Hills - Legowelt
9 Die With Your Boots On - Maxx Klaxon
10 Mother Russia - Luke Eargoggle
11 The Trooper - Mr. Velcro Fastener
12 Killers - Rude 66
13 Number Of The Beast - Hidari/Platzgumer
14 Powerslave - Pat Benedict Orchestra

Paul

AAAAhhhhhaaaaaa! Good to hear Hugh from Monaghan is still out there, fighting the good fight for all us sinners. He used to plague a DJ friend of mine about 10 years ago!

That Meagher dude's oul lass must have taken the car off him or something. What a fouler.

Flux said:
AAAAhhhhhaaaaaa! Good to hear Hugh from Monaghan is still out there, fighting the good fight for all us sinners. He used to plague a DJ friend of mine about 10 years ago!

That Meagher dude's oul lass must have taken the car off him or something. What a fouler.

is his music really like iron maiden meets kraftwerk?

japeo said:
is his music really like iron maiden meets kraftwerk?

I think he is more of a manager/promoter type, unless he picked up a guitar/synth (or better yet, one of those synth-guitars). The band he used wreck heads about was called Gregor 57 i think. Can't remember how they sounded... i've banished them to a murky section of my brain called the Mid-90's.

egg_ said:
Here's the email I sent to him:
Could that be interpreted as "taking offence"? Did imply that I expected an easy ride?
I don't think so

Well, if you weren't offended before, I think you should be now! He's painting you as having been petulant and defensive when, in actual fact, you were being self-deprecating and conciliatory. Considering he didn't quote you at all, that's extremely one-sided and unfair. However, as Latex Lizzie said, all press is good press really. As for the general gist of the article, I scanned it for names but didn't bother to read it fully. It's helping to put HCWH on the map in a way. And, well... I don't give a haggis, you know. Any 'culture' supplement that has only ONE music writer reviewing EVERYTHING can hardly be taken seriously, can it?

It's sooooo easy to slag things off. And, you know, I agreed with his appraisal of some artists (not saying who) and disagreed with others. But, his overall point was... well, what, exactly? That there is very little originality abroad in Irish musical output? Well, slap me with a wet dab! By like example, across the entire canon of American music today, given the size and demographic range of the continent, we have been privileged to hear only (and I phrase this carefully, because I believe there are hundreds of equally gifted artists we have not yet, for any number of reasons, been exposed to) ONE Sufjan Stevens, ONE Low, etc., amidst a WHALE-POD load of what would be (in my worthless opinion) sheeiiite. My general response to this kind of huff-puffery is to re-fold the mag and stash it in the can for emergency use!

4 pages about this? ah come on- this guy is probabaly touching himself with delight, in much the same way as Gerry Ryan probabaly does when he "bucks the system"

I mean ..The Independant?

hennes-gilson8.jpg

need I say more?

Hugh from Monaghan. He wasn't a promoter when he was plaguing me. He was a self-promoter all right. I'm so tired of Fair Verona stealing our thunder!baggyyyy:rolleyes:. Must become more like Hugh from Monaghan...

I'm not sure Meagher doesn't have a point though. Lynching begin.

I'd be more likely to believe the football writer in Woman's Way than the 'rock critic' in the Irish Independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back