John Meagher vs. pretty much every Irish musician, particularly egg_ (2 Viewers)

Unicron said:
I often wonder what I've done to deserve this life when I find myself at Dublin's Sugar Club on Friday nights. It's a lovely venue, but with any band able to hire the place to put on their show, you can be privy to some dreadful rubbish. A few weeks back I ventured there with a friend to catch a three-piece called Stoat. It was terrible sub-Electric Six stuff with nonsense lyrics and erratic musicianship. When I pointed this out on a radio station the next day, one of the guys in the band took offence. He seemed to be under the mistaken impression that local journalists should give local acts an easy ride. Not this one, Cormac.

Here's the email I sent to him:

Hoho good job you weren't reviewing the gig for the Indo, wha? <sigh>
Yes, a scrappy performance, our lack of recent stage-time showed I
think ... though if you didn't like the Teddy Bear's Picnic I suspect
you also didn't like the raggedy chorus of singers, blather about the
drummer's nipples and general goofing-off on stage which is all part of
out "act", and we'd have struggled to get a positive review anyway

Ah well. Here though, I thought the "desparately struggling to get to
the next level" comment was a bit misconstrued ... we're aware that
we're very much a fringe attraction

Anyway, hope the below-par gig doesn't prejudice you against the
album ...
Cormac

Could that be interpreted as "taking offence"? Did imply that I expected an easy ride?
I don't think so

Bleedin hell. He's got some hairy ants in his pants about Stoat. The question is why is he so mortally offended by yiz to the extent that he'll crisscross various media over a period of three weeks, telling everyone how much he dislikes you? Bit creepy.

Anyway, for once, Andy's right. Who cares? John Meagher is not anything to be worried about. His opinion means nothing to anyone, so that's what's important.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
why even bother emailing him, man?
Ach it's just the sort of thing I do - wish I hadn't now, obviously. I also email people to thank them if they've given us a good review

Hmmph
Ah well, spent last night dreaming that my wife had given birth to a baby she had conceived with another man, so today so far has been a relief

roxy said:
Anyway, for once, Andy's right. Who cares? John Meagher is not anything to be worried about. His opinion means nothing to anyone, so that's what's important.

so why the fuck has there so much comment about it already on thumped then?? his opinion obviously means something to some people and he knows this is the reaction that it will get.

this has happened before (jim carroll slates off everyone; everyone gets upset; jim carroll laughs loudly at winding everyone up again; job's oxo) and i'm sure john meagher is having a great auld giggle at this too.

hacks do this to get attention. nothing more, nothing less. quiet time of year. contract renewal. pay rise wanted. do snappy piece which gets loads of attention.

that said, its a very entertaining read. never read the indo but thanks for putting this up. the ollie cole comment made my day - though can't imagine what he would do for a day-job. Pull pints in Whelan's? Sweep floors?

Pilchard said:
so why the fuck has there so much comment about it already on thumped then?? his opinion obviously means something to some people and he knows this is the reaction that it will get.

this has happened before (jim carroll slates off everyone; everyone gets upset; jim carroll laughs loudly at winding everyone up again; job's oxo) and i'm sure john meagher is having a great auld giggle at this too.

hacks do this to get attention. nothing more, nothing less. quiet time of year. contract renewal. pay rise wanted. do snappy piece which gets loads of attention.

that said, its a very entertaining read. never read the indo but thanks for putting this up. the ollie cole comment made my day - though can't imagine what he would do for a day-job. Pull pints in Whelan's? Sweep floors?
its just a shit article by a lazy hack, and thats the most annoying thing. i like reading about music sometimes, hence the two articles i posted links to. the indo is so shite.

Unicron said:
I think you'll find that most bands/acts/artists are shite.
Too right, the guy seems to be disappointed purely because he bought into hype. There's still the same ratio of good to bad bands here as there is anywhere else, his first mistake was believing otherwise just because he read it in some press release.

Unicron said:
I also enjoyed albums by Joe Chester, Emmett Tinley, Cane 141, Jimmy Behan and the soon-to-be released albums by former A House frontman Dave Couse and Pugwash. They're all good albums, but are any of them good enough to be nominated for the Mercury Music Prize? Not one of them. None has that spark of brilliance that puts it alongside nominees such as Antony and the Johnsons or The Magic Numbers.

This guy is a complete idiot! The Mercury Music Prize regularily nominates pure shite he names a couple but he forgets to name, any shite coldplay, Jamelia, keane, the streets, the zutons, Ms Dynamite and the thrills (the fucking thrills people!!!) the list just goes on and on. What a fucktard!

Unicron said:
And M People won it.
Fuck M People!

rb140026.jpg

Unicron said:
. And I'd really love it if Hugh from Monaghan would stop ringing me every Friday about his Kraftwerk-meets-Iron Maiden outfit. Go and bug some other journalist, please.

holy shit that sounds awesome!

hey the dude is giving his honest opinion fair fucks to him, he's a rock critic for the irish independendangt god love him. not exactly lester bangs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back