joanna newsom on the radio (1 Viewer)

few, thought i killed this thread there for a minute.i like smog but i too think he's well overrated.a lot of his songs are pretty crap songs made good by the strength of the lyrics and working with people like tortoise or jim o'rourke.sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.i think the whole "he's such an prick, isn;t it funny and isn't that how we all think deep down" routine is pretty old at times.

he's certainly no joanna or bonnie billy.still songs like cold devotion, red apples or ex-con redeem him pretty well.

Igor said:
I just don't get it, maybe it's too complex and multilayered for me, I don't feel any pathos from it and the music part just doesn't set me alight. I've been quite happily disliking it for a long time now without feeling the need to actually listen to it, it's part of a bedrock of things I irrationally dislike.

Although I did break a smile at 'prince, alone in the studio' about a decade ago.

Richie said:
The last Smog album (A River Ain't Too Much To Love) is great, a really solid set of songs.. don't know too much about his other stuff.

yea the new album has much better song-songs but then i just got pissed off that he wasn't as pissed off as he usually is.you just can't win with me i guess.:)
don't get me wrong, i like him, i just don't see how so many people revere him so much

His voice, his lyrics, his songs are savage bar the odd flop here and there. His belters well compensate for them. Stop over fuckin analyzing him. Pure and simple deadlyness!

Unicron said:
Cept for the assholes who wouldn't shut the fuck up during it. Her set was completely charming though.

Dont you think that the fuckers talking at the back kinda solifdified the rest of the crowd who actually wanted to listen. It kinda made the gig even better. She was so cute and nervous.

If i were a lesbian i definatly would...

Sufi said:
Dont you think that the fuckers talking at the back kinda solifdified the rest of the crowd who actually wanted to listen. It kinda made the gig even better.

I got there lateish and was at the outer edge of people that really wanted to hear her so while I see your point the talkers bugged me more than people at the front.

Hermie, I think you passed my when your girl was being brought out. Could you not have carried her in a more heroic and dignified manner?

evbwcary.jpg

Or even,

27f_chen_ent-lead__200x223.jpg

Sufi said:
She was so cute and nervous.

She walked by me in the bar about an hour before she was on stage. I didn't recognise her at the time but I thought she was amazingly pretty.

Unicron said:
Hermie, I think you passed my when your girl was being brought out. Could you not have carried her in a more heroic and dignified manner?

it was much harder than i expected!i've carried her before of course but she'd have her arms around me or something.it's so hard to carry someone when they've gone all sack of potatoes.she was totally lifeless i was mad freaked.which probably didnt help.i thought i managed it pretty well actually :p

Sufi said:
Dont you think that the fuckers talking at the back kinda solifdified the rest of the crowd who actually wanted to listen. It kinda made the gig even better. She was so cute and nervous.

would what? sure isn't everyone metrosexual these days;)
she's shacked up with bill callahan tho. whats his secret?
i think its funny how many people loathe her! i thinks he music is amazing and her lyrics astounding:)

And the signifieds butt heads with the signifiers,
and we all fall down slack-jawed to marvel at words!
While across the sky sheet the impossible birds,
in a steady, illiterate movement homewards.

And Gabriel stands beneath forest and moon.
See them rattle & boo, see them shake, see them loom.
See him fashion a cap from a page of Camus;
see him navigate deftly this side of the blue.

I do as I please.
Now I'm on my knees.
Your skin is something that I stir into my tea.
And I am watching you
and you are starry, starry, starry
and I'm tumbling down, and I check a frown.
Well, just look around. It's why I love this town:
just see me serenaded hourly! celebrated sourly!
dedicated dourly; waltzing with the open sea -
clam, crab, cockle, cowrie : will you just look at me?

We speak in the store
I'm a sensitive bore
and you're markedly more
and I'm oozing surprise

But it's late in the day
and you're well on your way
what was golden went gray
and I'm suddenly shy

And the gathering floozies
afford to be choosy
and all sneezing darkly
in the dimming divide

I have read the right books
to interpret your looks
you were knocking me down
with the palm of your eye

This was unlike the story
it was written to be
I was riding its back
when it used to ride me

We were galloping manic
to the mouth of the source
we were swallowing panic
in the face of its force

I was blue and unwell,
made me belt like a horse.

Now it's done.
Watch it go.
You've changed some.
Water ruin from the snow.

Am I so dear?
Do I run rare?
You've changed some:
peach, plum, pear.

mad bag. but did anyone else hear the new record. its terrific.

It's different alright.. I'm a bit let down by it, on the first few listens. The odd string arrangments make it sound like some kind of 1950s Disney film. I don't know if her songs really work as well with the 10-17 minute track length, she's obviously shooting for the most grandiose epic thing ever but the songs don't seem to have the same spark to them as the first album.. Maybe it'll grow on me. I like the third track (Sawdust & Diamonds) a lot though, partly because it's just harp & vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back