joanna newsom on the radio (3 Viewers)

Pantone247 said:
crikey, I don't I've ever considered the "naturalness" of her singing voice, it's quirky, but that's what it is... Robert Wyatt, Bjork, Kate Bush... even Mike Patton, I don't think it's a crime to make yourself sing in a certain way for effect...

every death metal band ever weould agree! 8)

Agreed.. I can see why people might hate Joanna Newsom's voice (because it's shrill and squeaky) but there are tonnes of singers that don't sing in their speaking voice, it's hardly unsusual to affect an accent, so I don't get the accusations of "falseness". And anytime I've heard her interviewed, she speaks normally, so I don't think she's trying to conceal her normal speaking voice.. here for example:
http://svt.se/content/1/c6/41/12/20/MB_DaJoanna_050707.asf

stina nordenstam's "people are strange" is a great album to have sex to.

as for newsom, she may be a gelfling, but she's the hottest one of them all... you mean you WOULDN'T want to leave her face like a painters radio? wieeeeerdo.

theres another interview here for anyone whos interested.

[video=google;74395427592105899]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=74395427592105899&q=joanna+newsom[/video]

anyone else get a fast show vibe of that swedish show? lots of stuff i didnt get with the occasional "chessy peas" style words thrown in.

Brian Conniffe said:
stina nordenstam's "people are strange" is a great album to have sex to.
quote]
thats a cool album alright. wonder what the newest one is like. apparently she wanted david bowie for her second last one but could only manage brett anderson. she said as much in an interview as well. ouch
A-37717-1082020974.jpg

gelfling.jpg

I reckon Regina Spektor could take Joanna Newsom in a knife fight, mystical Gelf powers or not.

Bellatrix said:
Joanna Newsom am the greetest.

Her lyrics are frickin' spectacular.

well said.she was amazing at ATP.her voice doesn't seem contrived at all, in fact i was blown away by it live. My girlfriend fainted she was so good! saw her in the bar with that lucky misanthrope callaghan.she's got a great ass too.here's some photos i took:

joanna1.jpg

joanna2.jpg

joanna3.jpg

i'm no ready steady jedi as you can tell

ok my last post for a minute i swear.was this any good last night.i tried to stay awake but dan hegarty kept playing shit music and pissing me off and i finally just went to sleep

A man who doesn't like smog can never be a real man! What's wrong with you? Whats wrong with him?

I just don't get it, maybe it's too complex and multilayered for me, I don't feel any pathos from it and the music part just doesn't set me alight. I've been quite happily disliking it for a long time now without feeling the need to actually listen to it, it's part of a bedrock of things I irrationally dislike.

Although I did break a smile at 'prince, alone in the studio' about a decade ago.

ICUH8N said:
I reckon Regina Spektor could take Joanna Newsom in a knife fight, mystical Gelf powers or not.

Interesting. They both got undeniable game. Still, if Spektor's knife-fightin' mirrors her songwriting I think the smart money would be on the Gelfling.

Less hit and miss, gnome sane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back