Jandek - pretty amazing! (1 Viewer)

Bizarre. Jandek + funky rhythm section - could be David Byrne. He'd have been lynched if he had done this in the Douglas Hyde!

Yeah: He is definitely laughing; you might say sniggering, even.

Jeezus. Crazy altogether. Was reading about it on the Jandek mail group yoke, but never imagined it could be that funky. Talking Heads / Parliament vibe for sure.

touring up north apparently

Sunday, July 19, 2009
City: Larne
Venue: Older Fleet

Monday, July 20, 2009
City: Bangor
Venue: The Black Boat

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
City: Belfast
Venue: Black Box

Wednesday, July 22, 2009
City: Londonderry
Venue: The Mason

i don't. her (unintentional) duo w/taku sugimoto at instal 05 was painful. keenan got the sound man to turn UP her 'vocals' during the jandek set. his review of the cd of that show makes for funny reading:
Long-awaited official release of this mind-blowing Jandek concert, easily the most powerful and emotionally high-wire live show I have ever experienced in the flesh. This was the second of two concerts that Jandek presented as part of Instal 2005 in Glasgow, the first being a trio guitar/bass/drums performance. This set was divided into two thematically linked movements, here dubbed "The Grassy Knoll" and "Tribal Ether". The first is a heart-rending duo performance featuring Sterling on vocals and harmonica and Loren Mazzacane Connors on electric guitar. It starts off with a weird spoken word section that conflates the environs of the Kennedy assassination with a dystopian sci-fi scenario and a statement of intellectual and moral individuality. Then it makes a sudden, gut-wrenching turn where Sterling breaks into song, with the most forlorn vocal melody you could possibly imagine, and moves into a section that seems to be based around the heart-attack and hospitalisation of a parent or family member. The unaccompanied vocal sections are almost unbearably poignant and the combination of Connors' spectral blues and Sterling's Dylan-esque harp ups the emotional ante to the kinda level that almost makes it hard to listen to. It's not something you are gonna be able to just stick on in the background; there's a weight to this recording that means you really have to be ready for it. I was reduced to tears when I saw this live. The second section comes off like a defiant/hysterical coda to the first, featuring Sterling on drums (!), Alan Licht on electric guitar and Heather Leigh Murray (Scorces et al) on pedal steel guitar (not lap steel!) and vocals: Licht plays rhythm, Murray plays lead, just in case you can't figure it out for yourself or you think that only guys can rip like that. Sterling's drums put the tribal in the title while Licht and Murray collide with each other in an overdriven No Wave style that is pure thunder and lightning. It's one of the wildest performances on any Jandek recording. I'm so tired at this point of reading about Jandek's art in terms of dysfunction - hearing how these two pieces work together is testament to his deliberate vision, his talents as a performer and his incredible artistry. You won't hear a more profoundly affecting record this year - or any. Jandek is one of the greatest artists of the modern era and I would rate this record as one of his greatest achievements, up there alongside all-time Top 10 albums like Fushitsusha's Double Live, Albert Ayler's 66 recordings, Dylan's Blood On The Tracks/John Wesley Harding/Basement Tapes, Skip Spence's Oar, 13th Floor Elevators Easter Everywhere, Fraction's Moonblood, Dead C Trapdoor Fucking Exit, Richard Youngs' Summer Wanderer... you name it. It's that good. So, if you buy one record this year... Highest possible recommendation.

that's the first time i've ever seen anyone say anything positive about the music of david keenan and heather lee murray

you ever hear em graham?

I've only heard a few of Charalambides releases which are pretty good. Are they really that bad? I'm certainly not a fan of their business practices though.. (yes I know they've a real life store to support but still the prices are a joke)

the first jandek gig in glasgow was an unannounced performance at
Instal. i dont even think there was any "official confirmation" until
afterwards that it was jandek. "representative of corwood" etc etc

i'm sure shaney can tell it how it is

Was that first Instal gig solo?

There's a free drummer, name escapes me, he plays with Will Oldham sometimes and was in Baby Dee's band when she played here last year, he played with Jandek on one of the first gigs he did and according to him even he wasn't really told that the gig he was showing up to play was definately going to be Jandek. Think it might be the first gig he was talking about.

Did Heather Leigh Murray open for Thurston Moore when he was in Tripod touring his second solo record? Moore was only sorta alright that night but Murray was painfully shit if it was her.

Oh I just remembered, guy's name is Alex Nielson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back