ISH Magazine Launch. (5 Viewers)

tom. said:
never mind.

i know that me going on about this could be seen as being just as patronising as the original article, so i'm starting out from a hypocritical position.

so really there's no point going on any more about this. if you're genuinely curious, maybe someone else can have a go at talking you through it. but really, you should be able to work this kind of thing out for yourself.

Ahhhh the mating call of the Loooooooooser bird

I'm just so mature..I know

Women don't need people standing up for them. The Editor is a fucking woman for fucks sake.

"Won't someone think of the poor women"

The mini skirt thing was A JOKE.

Pantone247 said:
no.

At the age of 25 I have heard all i want to hear. Thus I am chopping my ears off.

I looked at the Mag and saw sweaty boys in cut off t-shirts with silk scarves on their mic stands, which they are screeching into, talking about Extreme's influence on their new EP thats sounds like Muse that they are launching in Dorans with some other band who rate Iron Maiden Highly.

I *really* *really* don't need any of that in my life right now... indeed ever!

Okay, I'll put my hands up, I am not ISH's target market. (I have good taste!) (ba-dum-tish) so whatever, it was never going to grab me, I knew that anyhow... but I just couldn't see, bar the small group of people who might know the bands (mainly the cover band) and that would be that.

Also there is nothing on it saying it's free or encourgaing one to pick it up, I nearly passed it cause I thought I'd have to pay for it. FYI.

25??

Man I'm only two years older then you and I cannot believe your saying that. Cut of your ears. (Your sooo wise) Come on? When I was 15 or so I listened to Extreme, in fact I even went to see them, in fact yer man Nuno was the reason I took up the guitar. I probably wouldn't admit that too often but I'd have to say that he was an influence for me at the time. Okay the music was DODGY and it's not cool to like them now, but at the time they were fine.

Anyway you have to remember bands are getting younger & younger so of course there going to name some 80's early 90's musicians ass influences.

Tokey said:
You be talkin balls now. Never heard of Blotooth or Skyjack or The Things WTF? Do you actually take part in the Dublin music scene?

i have honestly never seen or heard of any of those bands but i did say
"hehe skyjack - that's an ICE-T movie". i don't think i take part in any scene, i just do my thing and go to what i want to go to. i feel no great comoradare with people i don't know. i like my friends. hi friends.
why are you refering to me by my surname?

andrew

So whats the general emphasis here then, we've had two people say that its shit, one person say that its sexist ( no, thats just me ) and alot of people raving about it, but I do have to say that its very alarming that the people who haven't picked up a copy yet are hearing more of the negative things more so than anything else.
Personally I wasn't really trying to insult anyone earlier on and lets be totally honest here this isn't exactly the friendliest forum I didn't think that anyone would bath an eye lid at what I said, not the first time I was wrong. I think that there are alot of good qualities in the magazine and I am so sure of this fact that I think that even the most cynical of people wouldn't have too much trouble in finding something to compliment the mag on, but instead its pretty much all been negative from here anyway, the only person thats spoken up for it is Mick and he knows that if he didn't I'd have to send the long hairs round to his gaff.
The articles that I write are not spose to be taken seriously at all, I am not a journalist and have no desire to go into that end of the market but at the same time, without blowing any smoke up my own arse ( copyright keithburke 2003 ) I thought that my articles were atleast an entertaining read.
I thought that the features of the other bands were well written and please remember that a feature isn't a review its an interview its got dialogue from the band members and a description of the band.
I think that the reviews were very honest and fair and some bands did get criticized.

seriously i hated Extreme back then too, I really wanted to batter every sap who thought playing More then Words badly on a guitar was going too get him a bird. I was all over the Lemonheads, Sonic Youth, Pixies, REM back then.

I thought Nuno fret tappiing Flight of the Bumble Bee was hilarious, just because WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? It's the guitar equivilent of doing push ups to show off.... actually I'd love to hear that again, it was so wanky he he he he

but enough about my traumatic teenage years.... ;)

I'm interested in what you mean by saying "bands are getting younger & younger so of course there going to name some 80's early 90's musicians as influences"

I'd hope younger musicians would see how far we've progressed from mindless coke fuelled cock rock and what to continue to push forward? non?

Tokey said:
25??

Man I'm only two years older then you and I cannot believe your saying that. Cut of your ears. (Your sooo wise) Come on? When I was 15 or so I listened to Extreme, in fact I even went to see them, in fact yer man Nuno was the reason I took up the guitar. I probably wouldn't admit that too often but I'd have to say that he was an influence for me at the time. Okay the music was DODGY and it's not cool to like them now, but at the time they were fine.

Anyway you have to remember bands are getting younger & younger so of course there going to name some 80's early 90's musicians ass influences.

tom. said:
o
are you asking me about mongrel or ish? cos they both are (in their respective first issues) but ish is more blatant.
of course mongrel is sexist - sure isn't it run by a couple of brits who have no respect for birds!

Pantone247 said:
Okay, I'll put my hands up, I am not ISH's target market. (I have good taste!)
Ho ho. Good lie, Eels boy.

That Mongrel is shite though. Bad photos other than that redhaired photo shoot. Dull artikeln. Except the one about James from the Dice Bar.
James is cool.

TESTAROSSA said:
haha rad

also you never came back to me on any of the shit i called you on - so suck a dick.
you blew it by coming here looking for your props - they're on the gigsmart board, dude.

andrew
Come back to you on what points exactly, you made a point of the layout being poor, well its got a full INDEX on the 3rd page where you can find whatever you are looking for.
You said that alot of the photo's were blurry, the designer went for this effect purposely, it might not be to your appeal but as I say each to their own, it speaks of personal taste not unprofessionalism.
You say that some of the text is hard to read cause it backlashes with the color of the background, I seen this once in the whole magazine and I have seen it a million times in other professional magazines like Kerrang Rock Sound Metal Hammer and of course Hot Press.
Then you say that you wouldn't know who you are reading about most of the time and this I actually did go through.
I found that the name of the band or act is written in the opening sentence of each article except fo the mike got spiked who have an opening paragraph as an introduction and then in the second paragraph it talks about the band and mentions their name.
The front cover is a band that are unsigned and to most of the general public unknown and hopefully with the help of ish and other organizations that will change.
The band that you talk of are called Eclipse and they were interviewed by a person who went to their gig and met them for the first time that night, I remember cause it was a gigsmart gig and as far as I know they never knew eachother beforehand.
About the funding, none of your business.
I think that they are all the points that you mentioned so take that dick out of your mouth you've got words to be eating.

ye..I had a brief look at it. Its a first issue..on a buget of zip they have done well. I do think it could be done much better if there was more quality control.

there are many many people I know featured in it..which is odd...some of whom have done pretty much nothing to deserve an entire page devoted to them...and I am talking about friends not just aquaintances. I dont think you looked very far to find good bands who arent in Hotpress etc. to feature in it. I know some of the bands are excellent - Skyjack, Blotooth etc. but its important to show bands that arent going to be gone next week..that are actually doing something. not just playing a handful of gigs.

Also..it can be a problem when friends write reviews of a mates band. how can you trust their objectivity? I remember a few years back this happening in the paper...a journalist writing glowing reviews of her mates band. It looks bad. Mike got Spiked are good friends of mine...I am very objective about them...but I couldnt write an article on them...certainly not one that would show them in any other light than "man they are the shit!". (not that I would...I think theyre vg.)

In any case...I think you should rethink what youre trying to do. are you trying to show the public just gigsmart bands...or are you trying to show them the unsigned irish rock scene? do you want to exude professionalism or do you want to have the magazine wreak of amateurism? The design could be better..and it wouldnt take more money or time...just a bit of sense.

On the whole..I completely respect what the magazine is intended for. I respect how much effort and time that has gone into it. I hope you do much better next issue.

Niall S. said:
Come back to you on what points exactly, you made a point of the layout being poor, well its got a full INDEX on the 3rd page where you can find whatever you are looking for.
You said that alot of the photo's were blurry, the designer went for this effect purposely, it might not be to your appeal but as I say each to their own, it speaks of personal taste not unprofessionalism.
You say that some of the text is hard to read cause it backlashes with the color of the background, I seen this once in the whole magazine and I have seen it a million times in other professional magazines like Kerrang Rock Sound Metal Hammer and of course Hot Press.
Then you say that you wouldn't know who you are reading about most of the time and this I actually did go through.
I found that the name of the band or act is written in the opening sentence of each article except fo the mike got spiked who have an opening paragraph as an introduction and then in the second paragraph it talks about the band and mentions their name.
The front cover is a band that are unsigned and to most of the general public unknown and hopefully with the help of ish and other organizations that will change.
The band that you talk of are called Eclipse and they were interviewed by a person who went to their gig and met them for the first time that night, I remember cause it was a gigsmart gig and as far as I know they never knew eachother beforehand.
About the funding, none of your business.
I think that they are all the points that you mentioned so take that dick out of your mouth you've got words to be eating.
ha ha ha ha

Niall S. said:

yeah right - you've totally clowned me! i'll have to resign from thumped.
we obviously read / rate magazines very differently - did you get the sunday times magazine this week? ITz so COOL!!!
whatever dude - you're right the funding is none of my business and i was being cheeky asking about it. but yo - i'm not alone in being curious about it and i hope nobody lost their shirt over it.
it's a pretty unique way of going about launching a magazine - filling it up with bands people know nothing about.

andrew

and if you think by layout i meant "does it have an index" - no - it looks boring.
it'll fit in great with the other shit they have propping up the door in musician inc

andrew

OK obviously no one round here listens to what Andy says anyway, but the thing that would really put me off is this Niall, you do not have a basic command of the english language and I seriously can't understand what the hell you are trying to say. In any of your posts.

Robbie Analog said:
OK obviously no one round here listens to what Andy says anyway, but the thing that would really put me off is this Niall, you do not have a basic command of the english language and I seriously can't understand what the hell you are trying to say. In any of your posts.
Maybe you should try breaking the big words down into syllables and putting them together.

Niall

Well at least there were no mistakes in that post, well done for stringing together a coherent sentance, you the man!

This has been the most entertaining thread in ages, can you stay?

Niall S. said:
Maybe you should try breaking the big words down into syllables and putting them together.

Niall

by the by...when I said 'bit of sense' it wasnt supposed to be as patronising as it sounds! ;) I just think you could do something really funky with the design of it.
the logo is simple & funky..so thats a good beginning. If you do a good bit of research you could develop a nice and distinctive design for the magazine. thats about the only thing that was cool about foggy notions I thought...design was class.

old said:
Ho ho. Good lie, Eels boy.

That Mongrel is shite though. Bad photos other than that redhaired photo shoot. Dull artikeln. Except the one about James from the Dice Bar.
James is cool.
Mongrel is complete tripe. It reads like a badly-written missilette for Objecthaus devotees. But at least it's free (or is it?????). The layout and all that seem grand. It's sort of like Anne Widdecombe in a black Chanel number (okay... Top Shop number).

The Spectac album review is testimony to it's general rubbish-ness.

I haven't seen ISH, so don't know what it's like. What does ISH stand for? Are my taxes paying for this? Is it a quality read for when I'm dropping friends off at the pool?

Anorak is out this weekend... that's a good free zine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back