ISH Magazine Launch. (1 Viewer)

haha rad
"what do you want to see in a magazine?"
tits
me being a moron? fuck that, i might act stupid and say stupid things, but i'm not stupid!
seriously - justify the band that is heavily influenced by Extreme. extreme is not a good band. admit it - it's someones mate's band.
i dunno i guess i'm digging myself into a hole here, i could go on but it'd take MORE THAN WORDS to explain what i'm feeling right now - hahah suckers.
also you never came back to me on any of the shit i called you on - so suck a dick.
you blew it by coming here looking for your props - they're on the gigsmart board, dude.

andrew

I haven't had a chance to see or read the magazine yet but I must say I'm actually really disappointed that it hasn't worked out, ie, that so many people seem to think it's rubbish.

I can appreciate the effort that goes into producing a publication from nothing with a small group of people, who aren't being paid and are doing it in their spare time. It's not easy by any means. I just hope that maybe they can learn from the feedback and make improvements on the next issue.

I had really high hopes for the magazine from hearing about it from Denise on my show a good while back. In theory, it sounded pretty good and it was definitely on course for filling a void in independent music media.

As I said I haven't seen it myself, but if the layout is that bad, maybe they should look to change their layout people.

I'd be happy to oblige! :)

Ah maybe I wouldn't. No I would.

F

Niall S. said:
if you see them in a glossy magazine and it says good things about them then you'll probably take more of an interest in them.

ok i should probably just stop now seeing as i'm clearly not a part of your desired audience. "ohhh something shiney!!!" or maybe you're just letting us in on some big marketing secret. whatevers clever.

andrew

the layout isn't that bad - it's just totally boring and if it's supposed to reflect these vibrant bands it fails. it looks like the kind of free magazines they have in music maker which are full of exciting things like effects pedals, cymbal stands and mixers.
anyway i now look like the worlds biggest internet shit talker but the dude did ask for feedback and then proceeded to give me shit on it. it's not like i said "u r a Fagotz. die of AIDZ" or something

andrew

TESTAROSSA said:
extreme is not a good band.

Ah I don't know... many a pretty Spanish girl was serenaded by my guitar and that soggy drivel that is More than words. It had it's uses when I was 15.

It was good back in the days when Mr. Big was in the charts.

I'm sure I still have my tight stonewashed jeans and runner boots around here somewhere.

Keith

P.S. I haven't even seen the magazine.

TESTAROSSA said:
ok i should probably just stop now seeing as i'm clearly not a part of your desired audience. "ohhh something shiney!!!" or maybe you're just letting us in on some big marketing secret. whatevers clever.

andrew
in fairness andrew he's just saying that you are more likely to take notice of a band that you see in a magazine then if you never hear of them. the idea behind ish is apparantly to show the general public bands that dont get covered in other media.

your points above about design etc are valid, but now your just being a prick

TESTAROSSA said:
HEEE STARTED IT!! lol

andrew
:) fair enough... still i reckon this mag could be a could thing, after all , its free and its only startin off, could have better content and design next issue if people offer decent criticisms.

i havent seen it yet though so it could be a lost cause

Niall S. said:
But thats the whole point of the mag, to give you a list of good bands that you probably have not heard of, if you see them in a glossy magazine and it says good things about them then you'll probably take more of an interest in them.

not if they say how they are influenceded by Extreme I won't

Are Extreme still aorund?

I get what you're doing Niall, but I'm not sure... the idea seems to be instead of creating a magazine to appeal to a readership (excuse the business school speak) your creating a magazine to create a readership for some bands no one has ever heard off... I'm not sure ho well thats going to work.

Say you stuck, I don't know, Woodstar (for arguments sake, i havbe no idea who they are, but you gigsmart kids like them? right?) on the cover, put they're name in BIG TYPE on it and then filled the rest of it with your buddys. Then at least people who have heard of Woodstar would pick it up and some of the other stuff might stick with them.

But then I'm just a knob jockey.

Anyone see the new issue of Homage? Nah me neither...

Hey Fogarty & Pantone

Whata ya mean ye never heard of any of the bands in it.

You be talkin balls now. Never heard of Blotooth or Skyjack or The Things WTF? Do you actually take part in the Dublin music scene?

I don't think it was bad for the first issue. Especially since I got an article in it :D

And Mick Shut the fuck up, or Polar aren't gonna be in the next issue!!!! :D

so ish magazine is pointlessly sexist (and apparently so deeply sexist that the guys making it can't even see that they're being patronising and tokenistic - try imagining a 'blacks in irish music' feature, for example), but then so is mongrel, in a more subtle manner. the first issue had that ad for t-shirts just inside the front cover with tits-out girls, and were apparently trying to be 'ironic' about it.

still, what would i know, i'm a boy.

apart from that though, testarossa is kind of on the ball, in his own inimitable style.

Tokey said:
Hey Fogarty & Pantone

You be talkin balls now. Never heard of Blotooth or Skyjack or The Things WTF? Do you actually take part in the Dublin music scene?

I don't think it was bad for the first issue. Especially since I got an article in it :D

I've heard of these bands, but it's only thorugh doing the show and thus making a concerted effort to seek bands out. If I han'd been trying, I'd only know Blotooth and dats de troot.

So I don't see that it's unreasonable that people might be left wondering who on earth they're reading about.

The Irish independent music scene is a niche market in itself. With this mag, you'r looking to target a niche within a niche, which is going lead to some disenchantment.

But that's no reason not to do it.

F

Tokey said:

and there's the magazine-about-my-mates stuff.

Tokey said:
Hey Fogarty & Pantone

ha ha ha ha!

this is too funny, I *seriously* havn't heard of them

I feel like someones Ma now "oh all those bands look the same to me, is it Smashing Pumkin Heads you like these days?

tom. said:
so ish magazine is pointlessly sexist (and apparently so deeply sexist that the guys making it can't even see that they're being patronising and tokenistic - try imagining a 'blacks in irish music' feature, for example), but then so is mongrel, in a more subtle manner. the first issue had that ad for t-shirts just inside the front cover with tits-out girls, and were apparently trying to be 'ironic' about it.

still, what would i know, i'm a boy.

apart from that though, testarossa is kind of on the ball, in his own inimitable style.

How's it sexist?

Tokey said:
seriously:rolleyes:

i like this argument, been fun so far, and as i keep saying nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, aint that right andrew?

Pantone247 said:
ha ha ha ha!

this is too funny, I *seriously* havn't heard of them

I feel like someones Ma now "oh all those bands look the same to me, is it Smashing Pumkin Heads you like these days?

Really that's weird. I honestly would have thought that most people would have heard of them.

Ah well.

Mick Course I'm joking man

Just don't step out of line again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back