ISH Magazine Launch. (2 Viewers)

tom. said:
oh my god. is that meant to be a joke?

are you asking me about mongrel or ish? cos they both are (in their respective first issues) but ish is more blatant.

nobody tell Tom about Granada's Men and Motors channel

his poor weak lefty little southside vegan heart would nae stand the outrage

tom. said:
oh my god. is that meant to be a joke?

are you asking me about mongrel or ish? cos they both are (in their respective first issues) but ish is more blatant.

I meant ISH.

How's it sexist?

tom, pantone... throw out a few irish bands you'd like to be covered... out of interest like. i think this thing has potential, could be good, as long as folk dont alienate a huge section of their taregt market like pantone was talkin bout up above (kinda)

moc said:
nah found out i've an essay to do... cant concentrate in our college. thats todays excuse.
Too many skinny blonde female marketeers distracting a young man his studies I'm sure.

You could've come up to our quarter by all means.
Fewer blondes...in every sense.

:)

Oh yeah back to the argument about the mag featuring friends' bands - well they don't have to answer to anyone really, when you think about it. If I started my own magazine I'd probably have some of my friends' bands in it too. Plus, the band scene is too close-knit for the writers NOT to know some of the people they;re featuring, I'm sure.

tom. said:
and there's the magazine-about-my-mates stuff.

Well to be honest. I think the people who did this mag were probably a little sick of other Irish music mags not catering to their tastes. What's wrong with that?

For a first issue- set up by people who have little or no previous experience in doing ANYTHING like that. I thought it was fucking deadly - and I got an article in it :D

Pantone247 said:
trust me you're in for a shock dude
Eh Pantone, let's not forget the mag is free. They're clearly just putting it out there for those that are interested, and if the whole thing is lost on those that aren't interested, then no major loss.

Are yo not interested in getting to know more bands, though, Pantone? Hmm?

moc said:
tom, pantone... throw out a few irish bands you'd like to be covered... out of interest like. i think this thing has potential, could be good, as long as folk dont alienate a huge section of their taregt market like pantone was talkin bout up above (kinda)
i can think of plenty, but it's not my call. i'd just be telling you who i'd like to see in a magazine. i have my own biases. there's no point pretending i'd be great at intuiting which bands have interesting things to say. (although i wouldn't mind seeing some stuff on the people testarossa keeps going on about - i'm serious. i don't know enough about avant noise stuff. not very much irish stuff there though, i suppose.)

apart from that, though, it's kind of reductive to stay with bands. i'd love to see a decent round-table style interview with jamie, hag and a couple of others about the trials and tribulations of getting bands over here independently - black eyes at the weekend was amazing, so it'd be nice to get context.

however, that's just my preferences. others would probably find it pretty boring.

tom. said:
you know the bit in spinal tap where one of the band is going "what's wrong with being sexy?" at the party? have you ever understood that scene?

Havent seen it in years. Tell me EXACTLY what was sexist aboiut it. Coz none of the girls found it sexist.

"oooh Tom's standing up for the poor defenceless females........maybe they'll sleep with him for it?"

moc said:
do you think i should have said no to an article in this magazine because i know the people who are writing it? serious q loike
No Mick, clearly they shouldn't have asked you in the first place. To put you in such a spot ... goodness me. :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's be impossible to go about the business of featureing bands like this without knowing a lot of them. Surely it's a boon for the mag itself if the writers are immersed in the scene of which they write. If they were so detached so as to be completely unfamiliar with the bands in question, it might seem preferable morally (or whatever) but the quality would suffer, in theory that is.

Y'know?

F

Pantone247 said:
ha ha ha

obviously, thats why you put them on yer mag

heh heh heh

trust me you're in for a shock dude

Not MY mag man. I wrote one thing about a home studio and that's it.

Although I have heard of most of the bands in it (and all of them here too)

tom. said:
apart from that, though, it's kind of reductive to stay with bands. i'd love to see a decent round-table style interview with jamie, hag and a couple of others about the trials and tribulations of getting bands over here independently - black eyes at the weekend was amazing, so it'd be nice to get context.

that'd be cool... i have a lot of stuff i'd like to read about that i doubt would get covered by this magazine, but i'm gonna let them know anyhow. ya never know what might end up getting covered.

Tokey said:
Havent seen it in years. Tell me EXACTLY what was sexist aboiut it. Coz none of the girls found it sexist.

"oooh Tom's standing up for the poor defenceless females........maybe they'll sleep with him for it?"
never mind.

i know that me going on about this could be seen as being just as patronising as the original article, so i'm starting out from a hypocritical position.

so really there's no point going on any more about this. if you're genuinely curious, maybe someone else can have a go at talking you through it. but really, you should be able to work this kind of thing out for yourself.

Tokey said:
Not MY mag man. I wrote one thing about a home studio and that's it.

Although I have heard of most of the bands in it (and all of them here too)

Although I did do an interview with Polar for the next issue. You've heard of them yeah. Maybe you'll like that one? :D

But really if ya don't like the mag then just don't buy.....em....take it.

roxy said:
Are yo not interested in getting to know more bands, though, Pantone? Hmm?

no.

At the age of 25 I have heard all i want to hear. Thus I am chopping my ears off.

I looked at the Mag and saw sweaty boys in cut off t-shirts with silk scarves on their mic stands, which they are screeching into, talking about Extreme's influence on their new EP thats sounds like Muse that they are launching in Dorans with some other band who rate Iron Maiden Highly.

I *really* *really* don't need any of that in my life right now... indeed ever!

Okay, I'll put my hands up, I am not ISH's target market. (I have good taste!) (ba-dum-tish) so whatever, it was never going to grab me, I knew that anyhow... but I just couldn't see, bar the small group of people who might know the bands (mainly the cover band) and that would be that.

Also there is nothing on it saying it's free or encourgaing one to pick it up, I nearly passed it cause I thought I'd have to pay for it. FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back