ISH Magazine Launch. (5 Viewers)

Niall S.

Website
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am sure that you are all aware of the magazine ISH.

Its finally here after much controversy it will finally be available tomorrow night at its official Launch Party in the Temple Bar Music Centre.

Its Free in, there will be a DJ spinning some of the best tunes for Irish Unsigned Music fans to Hop Hop beat Wobbin Muthafugga's.

There is also going to be Free magazine's for all in attendance and it should be a great night out for everyone.

So go along and see what all the fuss is about.

Niall

Yay!! Bout time too! SOrry, you've probably been getting that from all corners.

Had Densie on my show ages ago and she said the first issue would be out in Mid-October. You can appreciate the impatience. ...

Good luck.

F

Did anyone pick up a copy of this? Its free and you can get a copy of it in most of the trendy places around Dublin, the IFC and the music Shops, music maker, musician, instrumental etc etc etc.

I have to say that its the dogs bollox, its a really professional looking magazine and it gives credit to some really brilliant and well deserving bands, its quality pisses all over Hot Press and its content has real genuine credability to it.
I was really proud to be involved with it and for all the people that were responcible for putting it together, Denise, Eamo, Ray, Ruth, Gav Lucy, Mick everyone, its a real credit to them.
If you haven't seen it yet you should keep a watchful eye out for it, its brilliant.

Regards

Niall

yeah i did.
i thought the layout was weak and didn't look anywhere near pro (like you're making out) entire pages seemed to be filled were pretty poor live photographs - lots of which obscured text. it was hard to work out which bands the article was about as each headline seemed to just be some stupid pun and the little bar down the left didn't say what the name of the band was (bare in mind i know none of these bands). the piece on girls in music was embaressing - "would you get breast implants to get signed" - "yes"
???
awesome. curious as to how it was funded? i counted 3 ads - one a "proud to sponsor" from a law firm, one was a girls photography exhibition (which i bizarrely went to a few weeks ago - the resizing / colouring of her photograph made it look shitty and unrecognisable to me, my friend pointedo ut that we'd actually seen it - they looked much better in reality, ie totally different)
the half page review of soylent green was welcome but somewhat bizarre...i'm sure you'se are trying to branch out but it just seemed kinda rammed in.
the letters page wasn't funny and just came across as mean spirited (says me - some sketchy things were said...kinda things a pro mag like hot press, which you seem to aspire to be/usurp wouldn't write in a million years).
the cover was just a crappy looking picture of 4 herbs standing around outside the guinness storehouse. the article on them had equally average / crappy / boring photos and one horrible photoshop filter.

figured i may as well play "devils advocate" to your "we are rad this is brilliant" steeze

andrew

ps - at least you know i actually read your magazine and paid some attention to it

oh yeah - the best bit was the interview with some band........oh yeha anyway..yeah - the picture of the singer in the sleeveless top with a microphone stand full of burbarry scarves..funny- i was like "oh man this guy thinks he's Aero Smith" - then i read it and they start citing Extremes 'heavier stuff' as a major influence! hahah - totally funny. the reviewer was obviously their mate and just kept talking about what virtuousos they are and their young age (but never actually revelaed what that was..) - it was just shit journalism (or whatever) - completely unobjective and obviously just shining a piece of shit to make it sparkle. that was one of the articles wehre you couldn't read the text properly cos of a white scarf hanging from a microphone. funny.

adnrew

Well in all fairness thats the first bit of real criticism its gotten so far. Its been really receptive by everyone else who see's it as a welcome change from the normal articles about Damien Rice and Glen Hansard.

Now there are photo's and information being handed out to the general public about bands that are right under their noses and if here is what they sound like if the description sounds good then you can always go along and see if its something that you are interested in. The people writing for the mag are people who are primarily interested in music and the photo's were taken byt a professional photographer.
I think that your being a tad bit too harsh, but thats your opinion, but there is always the other possibilty that maybe your just a prick that hasn't got a good word to say about anything, not because nothing interests you, but more because you feel that giving credit to someone belittle's you in some way, if this is a real problem then maybe I can help you, write to me at either of my advice columns in the magazine, its either [email protected] or [email protected]

Cheers for the input though.

Niall

Niall S. said:
but there is always the other possibilty that maybe your just a prick that hasn't got a good word to say about anything, not because nothing interests you, but more because you feel that giving credit to someone belittle's you in some way

yeah, cool - i'm pretty sure that isn't it though.

andrew

ps - your hansard / rice comments just came off as jealousy - is anyone else sick of babies crying over glen hansard?

pps - the dear terry thing was bogus and far more spiteful than i am being here (seeing as i'm actually pointing out why i didn't like whatever) and it will ultimately be read by a hell of a lot more people than me. way to go.

Nice. Just as well you haven't had too much criticism then if you feel the need to abuse anyone who dares to not fall in love with your magazine.

Niall S. said:
but there is always the other possibilty that maybe your just a prick that hasn't got a good word to say about anything, not because nothing interests you, but more because you feel that giving credit to someone belittle's you in some way

Nope, I am just inviting you to write in and give your comments for the next issue. And don't worry I am not even trying to get some kind of support here or to win anybody over, I did originally have that in mind when I first started posting here, but found most people to be complete knob jockeys who'd rather live in wonderland than go look outside their doors. So if writing shite is your thing, then why not put it to use and I could do with the material, you know use and abuse kind of situation. You get your say in a magazine that will be seen all over the place and I get to ridicule you in public its an all win situation really.

Niall

Ohh and by the way, its hardly my magazine. I just write the abusive articles so that the magazine is well balanced and not all backslapping.

Niall

why do you hate Hotpress so anyhow Mr Niall?

is the point of the mag to piss on other mags?

I read yer mag at lunch time, hand on heart honesty here, it had nothing that would interet me in the slightest, I recognised none of the bands in it, and found the editroial rant about the industry, and the rant by Ron Unsigned too, to be confusing inso far as the gave no reason against what, who, or why they were annoyed with. but boy were they annoyed!

Oh and as a 'professional' the design was *okay* but the blurry red eye out of focuse pix let it down... oh and it was hard to see where on article began, I'd advise bigger headlines, different fonts maybe?

xxx

P247

Niall S. said:
Nope, I am just inviting you to write in and give your comments for the next issue. And don't worry I am not even trying to get some kind of support here or to win anybody over,

Niall

Niall,
can I just say... cop on for Christ sake... you're letting the side down.

Don't ask people to critique a magazine and then abuse them because they don't like it.

Maybe you should re name the post... "invitation to blow smoke up my ass" and anyone who doesn't, I'll call them names.
Has all that gigsmart power gone to your head?
You don't have that here.

Keith

you're doing a ferocious job of ridiculing me in public right now, no seriously!

hypothetically, if i write in what i wrote here - how would you reply to me in order to make me look stupid?
i mean your layout isn't hte most novel or greatest thing ever - don't front that it is, i found it to be confusing to work out what band is being covered without reading the full article - they're probably your mates so you recognise the photo, the 4 pages of non music stuff are (argueably) pretty pointless and out of place, there are a few pages where portions of text are completely illegible or difficult to read, i'm not making this up! i swear!...the feature on girls was completley bizarre and came off as "aren't yis great there girls?"..patronising.
especially when one of them said "oh if people think i'm a shit drummer because i'm a girl, they're probably right"....paraphrasing of course. i mean, you wrote the letters page so you can pretty much tell me straight off if you were being mean spirited or not. that's all i said. if you take your 2 pages wahtever out of the magazine, the whole thing is just backslapping? that's pretty much what you just said. anyway i'm not going to write you any letter, cos i'm not a fucking tool. you asked here and i told you here.

did i even say anything that bad? off the top of my head, i thought foggy notions and mongrel were far better than the magazine you write for. foggy notions looked deadly. go rip them off or something.

andrew
ps - worse than the "wah wah wah hansard" shit is the "wah wah wah thumped posters" shit - i have as much to do with most people here as i have to do with you; but seriously what's the point in even telling "us" about it if you don't even think we'd bother liking it? i know i'm not over at gigsmart.com going "yo dudes check out the new sunburned hand of man 7'' it's totally sick!!"

pps - even though it's none of my business, i'm still very curious as to who you funded it - i mean if i thought i could whip out a slick full colour magazine with no ads in it - fuckin sweet! it'd be such a killer magazine too...i'd call it like "SKULLBABIEZ" or something stupid...

they're waiting for the new issue of while you were sleeping to come out before they can start on it - YOUCH!!!!!!!

andrew

i don't know why you'd asking a forum full of twenty somthings what they think about a magazine that was obviuosly written and designed to appeal to 14 year olds.
it was the worst thing in the world i thought, made me feel really bad after reading it because its so badly written and designed. it was just stale. not one interesting point in it, all the bands sound boring, none of the articles made me want to ever see them live, their inclusion in this amateurish magazine makes them look shit. the whole thing made me cringe.

as for the fucking "girls in rock" section, what a fucking joke. i have no respect for any of the girls who allowed themselves to be interviewed. if you actually thought their bands were good why dont you write a review of one of their shows or interview the whole band. the very idea of having a girls in rock special only adds to any discrimination of women in music that already exists. as for the girls answering questions like "if you were walking down the street in say, a short tartan skirt and a record executive rolled up in a car and offered you a deal..." they should fucking know better.

the whole magazine came accross as self conscious and stale, and at times, offencive (but not even when it tried to be, like in the pointless "rants" section)

eyelish said:
i don't know why you'd asking a forum full of twenty somthings what they think about a magazine that was obviuosly written and designed to appeal to 14 year olds.
it was the worst thing in the world i thought, made me feel really bad after reading it because its so badly written and designed. it was just stale. not one interesting point in it, all the bands sound boring, none of the articles made me want to ever see them live, their inclusion in this amateurish magazine makes them look shit. the whole thing made me cringe.

as for the fucking "girls in rock" section, what a fucking joke. i have no respect for any of the girls who allowed themselves to be interviewed. if you actually thought their bands were good why dont you write a review of one of their shows or interview the whole band. the very idea of having a girls in rock special only adds to any discrimination of women in music that already exists. as for the girls answering questions like "if you were walking down the street in say, a short tartan skirt and a record executive rolled up in a car and offered you a deal..." they should fucking know better.

the whole magazine came accross as self conscious and stale, and at times, offencive (but not even when it tried to be, like in the pointless "rants" section)

Let's try and be a bit constructive here eyelash. Some people have obviously put a fair bit of work into something. Aparently they seem not to have hit the mark on the first round... in some peoples eyes.

What kind of things would you like to see in a magazine?

You see it's easy to say what you don't like, there are too many pseudo wits. To be consrtuctive... one has to be creative. be Frank Skinner... not David B'Deal.

Pantone247 said:
why do you hate Hotpress so anyhow Mr Niall?

is the point of the mag to piss on other mags?

I read yer mag at lunch time, hand on heart honesty here, it had nothing that would interet me in the slightest, I recognised none of the bands in it, and found the editroial rant about the industry, and the rant by Ron Unsigned too, to be confusing inso far as the gave no reason against what, who, or why they were annoyed with. but boy were they annoyed!

Oh and as a 'professional' the design was *okay* but the blurry red eye out of focuse pix let it down... oh and it was hard to see where on article began, I'd advise bigger headlines, different fonts maybe?

xxx

P247
But thats the whole point of the mag, to give you a list of good bands that you probably have not heard of, if you see them in a glossy magazine and it says good things about them then you'll probably take more of an interest in them.
We chose the bands for the first issue from the list of bands that we like cause there is little to no point in doing a feature on a band that we are intending on slating so instead we hand picked the bands.
In all honesty I found that testerossa was just being mean for no reason and I answered his post with an each to their own attitude at the beginning but then made little of it cause it represented the opinion of one person who in the past has been known to act like a moron at the best of times anyway.
And offered him a section to write in his views if he wanted to be heard from a louder platform and as I said earlier its not my magazine and I don't take credit for it nor do I get offended for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back