Ireland (4 Viewers)

How many days have there been where the DUP has made you happy?

This is one of those rare days
I say we enjoy it

Unionists are a great bunch of lads......a great bunch of BRITISH lads.

How many days have there been where the DUP has made you happy?

This is one of those rare days
I say we enjoy it

Nothing is set in stone yet. We don’t know if the DUP will be hit by significant defections, or if Donaldson will be hounded and broken the way David Trimble was, or if Sunak will honour his promises

I feel like we do.

this passage is being discussed on bluesky - i don't know the source of the passage though.

View attachment 18112
That is bonkers to read tbh

Two parties drunk on ideology fucking up the lives of millions

I know all of this probably belong in the Brexit thread, but wasn't Brexit mostly about their fucking sausage ingredients and the shapes of their bananas or whatever Boris Johnson used to go on about in his newspaper column?

1706653236766.png

So riddle me this. Say you're some sap who owned a sweet factory in Suffolk or whatever, and when Brexit came along you could no longer export your sweets to the EU.
I seem to remember there was a bunch of sour grapes Brexit stories along these lines.

Now, Sunak says it's all good. As you were. EU Rules OK.
Is everything back on? Are all these lads back in business?
Or were all those stories overblown?

Also, has the DUP not blown up a chance for NornIron to be the ONLY PLACE where this lad could have sold his sweets to the EU?

Last edited:
I've honestly been slightly ignoring it because I'm jaded with Unionist anti-democracy meltdowns.

HOWEVER.

My flash in the pan though is that it looks on paper like NI are getting a special status
While in all reality if you want to sell your crap in cool Ireland, Great Britain or Europe you aren't going to be ignoring all those pesky european laws too much now, are you?

Enough to look good on paper and do minimal fuck all in practice.

Now, Sunak says it's all good. As you were. EU Rules OK.
Is everything back on? Are all these lads back in business?
Or were all those stories overblown?

I don't see how when they are officially not a part of the customs union. It does seem like an attempt by Sunak to back peddle in some way but the UK can hardly decide it is aligning itself to EU regulation without some sort of mutual agreement with the EU which would not be very brexit.
Of course the DUP decided it didn't like Theresa May's soft exit even though she gave them a billion to form a government but then neither did Labour or the ERG and others. None of them might have hade any say on the matter except for Gina Miller going to the supreme court.
After that Johnson was brought in to rescue everything and push a hard brexit through which never really got the chance to take off because at that point Covid took over all the news headlines.
Which reminds me the UK should really have a general election this year.
I like to think of Northern Ireland as a compromise where neither side gets everything they want but both sides get enough and that it should maybe stay that way for some time. I think there is very large middle ground there anyway that doesn't have a hard opinion either way even if the two largest parties do.

I like to think of Northern Ireland as a compromise where neither side gets everything they want but both sides get enough and that it should maybe stay that way for some time. I think there is very large middle ground there anyway that doesn't have a hard opinion either way even if the two largest parties do.
This is how it should be, but one particular party is kicking and screaming against any change.

What makes Northern politics interesting - apart from the fact that partition is a goddamn crime and we belong as one island imho - is we get to see what it would be like if we unfroze a bunch of Cromwell's army and had them form a political party that was active in the 21st century.
These lads would burn witches if you let them.

Cromwell's
Years ago my friend was living in Lincoln and he went out for drinks in the local pub that did a range of its own beers. One of the beers he was given was called “Cromwell’s Bitter” - and my friend was all like “Cromwell’s bitter? CROMWELL’S bitter?” and none of the English folk knew what he was talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back