Ireland - Oman (1 Viewer)

McCarthy has his flaws so does Gibson on current form they're both better than Whelan and Andrews. Is that not what I've been saying here ?

We both agree on that. I was otherwise saying that McCarthy is in my view a better player than Gibson. I have seen Gibson play for Everton, yes.
Also that club form does not always carry over to the national team, usually when you're a lazy, petulant brat with an inflated sense of your own self-importance. I also think Meyler could be become a good option, and I would like to see that because he really wants to play for Ireland and that's the kind of player we need.

PS - Aston Villa shipped an obscene amount of goals, and were also dire, when Dunne was playing too.

I couldn't see that on TV, but that's not good to hear.

Like I said, hopefully he'll prove me wrong. He's a big man, I don't want to say lumbering, but he didn't seem to have that burst of pace over short distances that Dunne can call on to make recovery tackles. It'll be interesting to track his progress with Reading this season. Although last night proved once again that it's impossible to judge players based on five-minute Match of the Day highlights and television footage (which Trap worryingly seems to rely on for selecting players).

Well, that was utterly pointless. Typical trap, giving some young players a game against awful opposition. We won't see those lads again.

Well, that was utterly pointless. Typical trap, giving some young players a game against awful opposition. We won't see those lads again.

The game had the feel of a B international due to the poor attendance and the quality of opposition, but I can't help thinking that Trap has made a rod for his own back. Long and Doyle looked like a good front pairing, McCarthy and Myler worked well together and Coleman was simply outstanding. If Ireland revert to Ward and O'Shea hoofing the ball over midfield towards Walters and an immobile Keane against Germany next month it will be difficult for Trap to claim that there are no alternatives in terms of tactics and personnel.

But you know that's exactly what will happen. And when the Meeja say, here those lads against Oman were good he'll Say "Germany is very good team, Oman is ranked 1,000,876,33089, .333 in world. Robbie Keane is great player. Wha?"

But you know that's exactly what will happen. And when the Meeja say, here those lads against Oman were good he'll Say "Germany is very good team, Oman is ranked 1,000,876,33089, .333 in world. Robbie Keane is great player. Wha?"

Totally. And reading Trap's after-match comments over lunch only served to confirm as much.
“I have been asked whether players who play in friendlies will play in the qualifiers immediately after before and in the case of the game against Germany, the answer is no: absolutely no.

“We need to play with the players who know the system and who know what they can do because the Germans are strong. They can be in the squad but not in the team because we have the team that played in Kazakhstan. We have to have a team that is fit and strong mentally.

At the moment maybe it’s better to have Cox than others. I choose the players on the basis of the job ahead. Obviously there are players in the squad who are coming back like Richard Dunne and maybe Damien Duff.”

Oh well. It was nice to dream.

Totally. And reading Trap's after-match comments over lunch only served to confirm as much.

Oh well. It was nice to dream.

Well that rules out your Bradys and Meylers. But there's wiggle room for including Long or McCarthy or Doyle who have been in the squad a while and who were involved in Astana.

"know the system"

KNOW THE SYSTEM????
My two year old "knows the system". It's called, punt the ball as far as you can. If i may quote punk rock here: FUCK THE SYSTEM. THE SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK. THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED.

"know the system"

KNOW THE SYSTEM????
My two year old "knows the system". It's called, punt the ball as far as you can. If i may quote punk rock here: FUCK THE SYSTEM. THE SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK. THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED.

It's also total shite from Trap, as he parachuted St Ledger straight into the team against Bulgaria in Sofia back in 2009 less than a week after he'd made his international debut in a friendly with Nigeria at Craven Cottage.

Idiotic comments from Trap, imo. Every player should be on his toes hoping to impress and make the first XI. The team should not be practically announced a month before the game, ffs.

One thing he said was absolutely spot on, to be fair - "I don’t know what I am doing on October 12th"

its a sham that trapp is already saying that he can only play the older players against germany when it was rightly poointed out that st ledger was thrown into qualifiers.

the young and speedy germans will rip us a new asshole if we hoof the ball and use our euro team!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back