Iraq (4 Viewers)

JANER said:
The guerilla war will still continue, hope u cheer that loud if Bush or Blair chokes to death on a pretzel or has a heart attack.

i'd cheer louder if you choked on your own dole cheque.

kablam! haha.

just cos he was fighting bush doesnt make him a good ambassador for iraq. ill cheer when this whole thing is over.

He's dead alright.although his work is done as he wanted civil war and got it. the us have made him a martry now.there are always more like him to take his place.Why 2 x 500lb bombs from f16s? If they knew where he was they could have done it better than that.

broken arm said:

I think he's saying that, on a purely moral level, they're all as bad as each other and that cheering cos someone got killed isn't nice.

aoboa said:
Pete, can you ****** the word hurrah - it's getting like the bleedin' famous five in here.

you wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped you across the face would you?

incidentally, the famous five were good at solving mysteries. not bad, given that they wore dodgy clothes and one of the girls was called george.

La La said:
you wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped you across the face would you?

incidentally, the famous five were good at solving mysteries. not bad, given that they wore dodgy clothes and one of the girls was called george.

I just hate the word hurrah - sarcasm aside.

Seeemingly zarqawi WASN'T dead when the troops to the ground, they're not fighting accusations that he was shot by the troops. Which is more than likely that it did happen cos they did try to kil him by bombing so I doubt they'd have any qualms about shooting him..

i dont really know what bomb victims look like, but after the Yanks paraded that dead pic of him, it begs the question; was he actually killed in the air raid? he looks fairly intact. looks like he might have been shot like Gambra said.

The Sunday Times
August 27, 2006

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-2318643.html
deserter stories..
DARRELL ANDERSON

First Armored Division, 2-3 Field Artillery, at Giessen, Germany. Age: 24

Darrell Anderson joined the US Army just before the Iraq war started.

“I needed health care, money to go to college, and I needed to take care of my daughter. The military was the only way I could do it,” he tells me. As we chat, basking in the sun on a peaceful Toronto street, he fiddles with his pocket watch, which has a Canadian flag on its face. He’s wearing a peace-symbol necklace.

After fighting for seven months in Iraq, he came home bloodied from combat, with a Purple Heart that proved his sacrifice – and seriously opened his eyes. “When I joined, I wanted to fight,” he says. “I wanted to see combat. I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to save people. I wanted to protect my country.” But soon after he arrived in Iraq, he tells me, he realised that the Iraqis did not want him there, and he heard harsh tales that surprised and distressed him.

“Soldiers were describing to me how they had beaten prisoners to death,” he says. “There were three guys and one said, ‘I kicked him from this side of the head while the other guy kicked him in the head and the other guy punched him, and he just died.’ People I knew. They were boasting about it, about how they had beaten people to death.” He says it again: “Boasting about how they had beaten people to death. They are trained killers now. Their friends had died in Iraq. So they weren’t the people they were before they went there.”

Anderson says that even the small talk was difficult to tolerate. “I hate Iraqis,” he quotes his peers as saying. “I hate these damn Muslims.” At first he was puzzled by such talk. “After a while I started to understand. I started to feel the hatred myself. My friends were dying. What am I here for? We went to fight for our country; now we’re just fighting to stay alive.” In addition to taking shrapnel from a roadside bomb – the injury that earned him the Purple Heart – Anderson says he often found himself in firefights. But it was work at a checkpoint that made him seriously question his role. He was guarding the “backside” of a street checkpoint in Baghdad, he says. If a car passed a certain point without stopping, the guards were supposed to open fire.

“A car comes through and it stops in front of my position. Sparks are coming from the car from bad brakes. All the soldiers are yelling. It’s in my vicinity, so it’s my responsibility. I didn’t fire. A superior goes, ‘Why didn’t you fire? You were supposed to fire.’ I said, ‘It was a family!’ At this time it had stopped. You could see the children in the back seat. I said, ‘I did the right thing.’ He’s like, ‘No, you didn’t. It’s procedure to fire. If you don’t do it next time, you’re punished.’”

Anderson shakes his head at the memory. “I’m already not agreeing with this war. I’m not going to kill innocent people. I can’t kill kids. That’s not the way I was raised.” He says he started to look around at the ruined cityscape and the injured Iraqis, and slowly began to understand the Iraqi response. “If someone did this to my street, I would pick up a weapon and fight. I can’t kill these people. They’re not terrorists. They’re 14-year-old boys, they’re old men. We’re occupying the streets. We raid houses. We grab people. We send them off to Abu Ghraib, where they’re tortured. These are innocent people. We stop cars. We hinder everyday life. If I did this in the States, I’d be thrown in prison.”

Birds are singing sweetly as he speaks, a stark contrast to his descriptions of atrocities in Iraq. “I didn’t shoot anybody when I was in Baghdad. We went down to Najaf with howitzers. We shot rounds in Najaf and we killed hundreds of people. I did kill hundreds of people, but not directly, hand-to-hand.”

Anderson went home for Christmas, convinced he would be sent back to the war. He knew he would not be able to live with himself if he returned to Iraq, armed with his first-hand knowledge of what was occurring there day after day. He decided he could no longer participate, and his parents – already opposed to the war –supported his decision. Canada seemed like the best option. After Christmas 2004, he drove from Kentucky to Toronto.

But he says he has had second thoughts about his exile. Not that he is worried much about deportation: he has recently married a Canadian woman and that will probably guarantee him permanent residency. But he plans to return to the US this autumn, and expects to be arrested when he presents himself to authorities at the border. “The war’s still going on,” he told me.

“If I go back, maybe I can still make a difference. My fight is with the American government.”

It’s not only anti-war work that’s motivating him to go home; he’s thinking about his future. “Dealing with all the nightmares and the post-traumatic stress, I need support from my family.”

Anderson expects to be convicted of desertion, and he says he will use his trial and prison time to continue to protest against the war. He imagines that just the sight of him in a dress uniform covered with the medals he was awarded fighting in Iraq will make a powerful statement. “I can’t work every day and act like everything is okay,” he says about his life in Toronto. “This war is beating me down. I haven’t had a dream that wasn’t a nightmare since I came to Canada. It eats away at me to try and act like everything’s okay when it’s not.” Not that he feels his time in Canada was a waste. “There was no way I could have gone to prison at the time: I would have killed myself. I was way too messed up in the head to even think of sitting in a prison cell. I owe a lot to Canada. It has saved my life. When I came back and was talking about the war, Americans called me a traitor. Canadians helped me when I was at my lowest point.”

whats with you and posting up the links to soldiers getting shot? everyone knows where you can find it mate.seen one seen em all.as i said before the last time you posted these up you seem to derive some kind of pleasure from watching it.both sides using violence as a means to an end are wrong here yet you seem to think its funny or something when US troops get the sharp end?I'm all for seeing the resultant violence of this conflict as it helps us to be more in tune with whats going on...but this is the third time you have posted these links up.this thread was supposed to be about other things..namely where the direction of the conflict is headed..possible solutions..informed debate..international news etc..WE GET THE POINT NOW...

here is his comment derepping me for last time i called him on this

"Your correct, if those boneheads are stupid enough to join the yankee army and occupy foreign countries they get no sympathy of me."

when you visit our planet again give me a call.

I have my opinion and u have urs....fuckface

and yes I do get pleasure seieng those boneheads shot.
you don't own this fucking thread either

I have as much sympathy for the US military as I have for that bastard state of Israel.

btw too lazy to leave u a fresh derepping message so just copied and pasted last one u were kind enough to put up

also cop on with ur girlie avatar

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back