Iraq (1 Viewer)

http://www.opendemocracy.net/conflict/parallel_universe_3529.jsp A parallel universe
Paul Rogers
11 - 5 - 2006

The building of a massive new United States embassy and military bases in and around Baghdad signals the US determination to remain in Iraq for the long term.

As the Iraq war becomes increasingly unpopular within the United States and President George W Bush records exceptionally low approval ratings, the administration needs to redouble its efforts to present the situation in Iraq as one of steady improvement. It can point to the fact that a new prime minister has at last been agreed, while the Pentagon holds back on replacing several thousand troops due to return home from Iraq. The political and media line follows: the trend of events in Iraq is positive, and this will allow plenty of troop withdrawals by the time of the congressional mid-term elections on 7 November 2006.

The reality on the ground in Iraq is very different. The Iraqi government has reported 1,091 people killed in Baghdad alone during April, with car bombings, assassinations and attacks by death squads a daily occurrence. The damage inflicted on American forces has received little media attention in recent weeks, mainly because there have been no major losses in individual incidents. Yet there has been absolutely no let up in the attacks, even as the US military restricts itself much more to large secure bases coupled with movement by air rather than road whenever possible.

Posted on Wed, May. 17, 2006

Pentagon report said to find killing of Iraqi civilians deliberate

BY DREW BROWN
Knight Ridder Newspapers
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sa...41.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

WASHINGTON - A Pentagon report on an incident in which U.S. Marines shot and killed more than a dozen Iraqi civilians last November will show that those killings were deliberate and worse than initially reported, a Pennsylvania congressman said Wednesday.

"There was no firefight. There was no IED (improvised explosive device) that killed those innocent people," Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., said during a news conference on Iraq. "Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them. And they killed innocent civilians in cold blood. That is what the report is going to tell."

Murtha's comments were the first on-the-record remarks by a U.S. official characterizing the findings of military investigators looking into the Nov. 19 incident. Murtha, the ranking Democrat on the Defense Appropriations subcommittee and an opponent of Bush administration policy in Iraq, said he hadn't read the report but had learned about its findings from military commanders and other sources.

Military public affairs officers said the investigation isn't completed and declined to provide further information. "There is an ongoing investigation," said Lt. Col. Sean Gibson, a Marine spokesman at Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Fla. "Any comment at this time would be inappropriate."

Both Gibson and Pentagon spokeswoman Cheryl Irwin said that the military has yet to decide what, if any action, might be taken against Marines involved in the incident.

"It would be premature to judge any individual or unit until the investigation is complete," Irwin said. Said Gibson, "No charges have been made as we have to go through the entire investigatory process and determine whether or not that is a course of action."

A murder every hour on lawless streets of Basra , looks like the british honeymoon in iraq is well and truly over now.

Thursday May 18, 2006
By Patrick Cockburn
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10382312

One person is being assassinated in Basra every hour as order in Iraq's second city disintegrates, according to an Iraqi Defence Ministry official.

The number of killings is now at a level close to that of Baghdad and marks the failure of the British Army's 3-year-old attempt to quell violence in Basra.

Police no longer dare go where a murder has taken place because they are frightened of being attacked. Basra Governor Mohammed al-Waili is trying to sack the city police chief, claiming that the police have not carried out a single investigation into hundreds of recent assassinations.

The collapse of Government authority is increasing at every level as political leaders in Baghdad fail to form a Cabinet after parliamentary elections on December 15.

Insurgent attacks on American and British troops are also proving more lethal with 44 US soldiers and seven British killed so far this month.

Daily losses are exceeding anything seen for more than a year.

Hot off the internet presses - not much info out there yet, so no idea about credibility or any of that other good stuff - might even be a hoax (though I doubt it)
http://www.peacefilms.org/
former army ranger Jessie Macbeth talks about what he did in Iraq.
(requires Quicktime and sound)

ICUH8N said:
Hot off the internet presses - not much info out there yet, so no idea about credibility or any of that other good stuff - might even be a hoax (though I doubt it)
http://www.peacefilms.org/
former army ranger Jessie Macbeth talks about what he did in Iraq.
(requires Quicktime and sound)

It says the site it disabled. What's the gist?

whoops.
[video=google;8988839271260945473]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8988839271260945473&q=jesse+macbeth[/video]

Because he's a master of illusion, obviously. Derren Brown will be narrating "What I did in Falluja" which airs next week. He will be telling us of how he managed to stop bullets with his mind, and killed insurgents using only the power of thought and an AR-15

yeah, not really surprising. I'm sure it'll become clear one way or the other fairly quickly, he's very short (read: nonexistent) on specifics of any kind.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The War the Media is Not Reporting — An Iraqi Veteran Speaks Out[/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Apr 26, 2006[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Justice
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Jesse Macbeth, formerly a Special Forces Ranger in Iraq, is now active with Iraq Veterans Against the War in Tacoma, Washington. The Rangers are elite units sent door-to-door in Iraq to combat the insurgency. They were also sent into Fallujah to crush all opposition to the occupation of that city. Justice recently interviewed Jesse.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] How did you end up in the military?
I grew up on the streets. I got into trouble for fighting. The same judge that I'd been dealing with my whole life told me that I wouldn't have to do adult time if I signed up for the military immediately. Sometimes I kinda wish I went to jail instead.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] How did you become a Special Forces Ranger?
Basic training was easy for me. Growing up on the streets, I was used to running from cops. I was used to not eating for days. I got picked to go to Ranger School.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What did your division do?
I was in the Third Ranger Battalion. Our job was to strike fear in the hearts of the Iraqi people.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We would go into people's houses and plow down entire families. We would interrogate people. If we didn't like the answers that they gave, then we would kill the youngest child. If they gave more answers that we didn't like, then we'd move on to the rest of the family. They could've been innocent people.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We would leave the bodies in the streets and blame it on the Shi'ites or the Sunnis. [In Fallujah] we were ordered to go into mosques and slaughter people while they were praying. I won't go into full detail because I'm still haunted by the memories.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What was the assault on Fallujah like?
Fallujah is where we slaughtered people in mosques. We provoked the people there. Some people escaped from the mosques and saw us. We would dig holes and leave mass graves of children, women, and old men. We were ordered to let people die on the street. We were told that the Geneva Convention means nothing to us in combat.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We were ordered to fire on peaceful protesters in Fallujah. Somebody threw a rock at us, and an officer said that he thought it was a grenade. Then we were ordered to fire. When it's daylight in Iraq, it's daylight! Nobody really thought it was a grenade.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What medals did you get in Iraq?
I got a lot. I got a purple heart. Half of them, I don't remember. I got five or six medals just for landing. I got a bronze star.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What injuries did you get?
I got stabbed many times. I got shrapnel in my knee. I got shot in the back.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What do you think is the role of the U.S. in Iraq?
The military is terrorists there. Soldiers thought we were going to fight terrorism, but we became the terrorists. We were told we were going to liberate the country and find weapons of mass destruction. The real aim is to have the U.S. own the country. The U.S. wants oil.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] How has the government treated you since you got back?
Like shit. I hate them. I'm not gonna be a terrorist or anything, but I hate them. They killed my battle brothers. They used me. They messed me up. They didn't care about me. They turned me into a beast, a machine.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What Veteran's benefits have you gotten?
I ain't getting nothing. A card and that's it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Where do you work?
I'm an Iraq vet, and I work at Wendy's.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] How did you get involved in IVAW?
Veteran's Affairs told me they had no money for me. I always knew the war was fucked up, but that motivated me to say something about it. The government throws us away. They did the same thing after Vietnam.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Why do you think people should get involved in the antiwar movement?
Because it's gotta stop. Innocent people are getting killed. Bush says we have to stay the course and that it's hard work. Bush doesn't know what work is.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Anything else you want to say?
Yeah. The news here is controlled. The military lets information out that serves their purposes. We slaughtered a sovereign nation. Reporters got killed.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] When I was growing up, everyone thought I'd be a criminal, but they were wrong. I'm gonna be one of the leaders of the revolution.[/FONT]

i dunno... just doesn't ring true.

Questions have been raised about Jesse MacBeth and his claims of service in Iraq. MacBeth came to Iraq Veterans Against the War in January 2006 asking for help, and the organization and its members extended itself to help him in various ways. Assisting veterans is one of the founding principles of IVAW and it is a mission that we take seriously. After looking into his recent claims, we have learned that Jesse is not what he represented himself to be. Accordingly, IVAW does not in any way endorse Jesse MacBeth or any of his accounts involving military service. He -- and he alone -- is responsible for them. IVAW was not aware of the creation of the video program featuring MacBeth, and did not authorize use of our logo in the program.

The timing of the widespread circulation of the MacBeth video interestingly coincides with the ongoing military investigation of the recent Marine massacre of two dozen civilians (including women and children) in Haditha, – what is being termed as an atrocity by one member of Congress (R). MacBeth’s false statements unfortunately have played into the hands of those who would deny that any atrocities whatsoever are occurring in Iraq. While such murders by military personnel are reprehensible, ultimate blame for these actions must be placed on the responsible commanding officers, Donald Rumsfeld, and the Bush administration who have created the context for chaos in through an illegal and unjust war and occupation which they admit has no end in sight.

IVAW is a young and growing organization of courageous veterans and active duty soldiers in the “War on Terror” whose mission is to end the war in Iraq through immediate withdrawal of troops. We believe that veterans should be given the benefits they deserve upon returning home, and that the United States owes reparations to the Iraqi people for the destruction of their country. The invasion and occupation of Iraq was ill conceived and dishonestly sold to the American people, and IVAW members have the special vantage point of first-hand experience of the war to know why it’s wrong and why we need to bring the troops home now.
http://www.ivaw.net/index.php?id=219

The guerilla war will still continue, hope u cheer that loud if Bush or Blair chokes to death on a pretzel or has a heart attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back