iPhone in uk on 9th (2 Viewers)

"Customers buying the phone will be expected to sign an 18-month contract with O2 on a monthly tariff of £35, £45 or £55."

Apple get 10% of every phone bill. The first manufacturer to get that.
There will be a 3G model in late 2008\2009.
You can get the nokia N95 for free when signing up to a new contract in the UK.

I dont know about you's, maybe you's need the phone loads, but this is just screaming: just get an ipod keep your crap nokia and live a happy life. basically that contract that you have to sign to get one (in the uk) comes out at 1300 euro for the first 18 months that your oblidged to be with them to get one, that is before you make a phonecall. by which time you'll want an itouch anyways.

I dont know about you's, maybe you's need the phone loads, but this is just screaming: just get an ipod keep your crap nokia and live a happy life. basically that contract that you have to sign to get one (in the uk) comes out at 1300 euro for the first 18 months that your oblidged to be with them to get one, that is before you make a phonecall. by which time you'll want an itouch anyways.

I agree. the iPhone is pretty impressive but if I had an iTouch and my regular phone, I'd be happy enough.

The charges are just way too high for the iPhone and it won't be subsidised even if you go for one of the pricier plans.

I also wouldn't risk getting one unlocked either when that becomes widely available. Apple stated that they will be undoing any hacks with new firmware releases. And they'll probably push the updates like xbox 360 updates, i.e. you get locked out of the services if you don't update.
You'll end up having to wait for a new hack before you can use the phone again.

EDGE is starting to show up on O2 phones / BlackBerrys,so i guess the iPhone can't be too far away now...

I also wouldn't risk getting one unlocked either when that becomes widely available. Apple stated that they will be undoing any hacks with new firmware releases. And they'll probably push the updates like xbox 360 updates, i.e. you get locked out of the services if you don't update.
You'll end up having to wait for a new hack before you can use the phone again.
Apple iPhone warning proves true

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

On Monday Apple issued a statement in which it said many of the unauthorised iPhone unlocking programs caused "irreparable damage" to the device's software.

The company said this would "likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed".

That warning has now proved correct as many owners are reporting their phones no longer work following installation of the update.

Apple requires iPhone owners to take out a lengthy contract with AT&T in the United States but there are a number of programs on the net that unlock the device for use with other networks.

Some owners are reporting on technology blogs and Apple's own forums that the update is deleting contacts information, as well as photos and music, on iPhones that have not been modified in any way.
That's some serious bullshit. If you buy the thing, it's yours to do what you want with it. They're basically saying "you paid for it, but it's still ours, so we can disable it if we want".

The contract is quite long but apparently O2 in the UK are switching all of their contracts to 18 months.

If you work out how much the phone is going to cost you in that 18 months before you've even made a phone call outside of your allotted minutes it's pretty scary.

I'd rather get the iPod Touch which has all the goodness of the iPhone (minus the phone part) and none of the contract bullshit.

Mate of mine was over in bristol for a few years working, left there a few weeks ago and had to pay out something crazy like €500 to get out of his mobile phone contract early.

best purchase ever. the risk of getting your iPhone bricked by firmware updates is as stupid as the person clicking the "update" button when itunes asks you to.

really cool device and with some further upgrades to the initial software it will be untouchable by the rest of the phones on the market (have to see this google thing first though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back