iPad (2 Viewers)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/27/apple-ipad-tablet-computer-kindle

so it's aimed mainly at the ebook market???

seems to me it doesn't know what it is, and is trying to create a niche for itself where there is no need.

as a ebook reader: bit cumbersome for that, kindles etc, cheaper and handier
as a computer: for a grand you could get an actual laptop
media centre: see above

It won't cost a grand but i agree, it's an unnecessary product. Having said that, the lemmings will buy it.

I can't say that I'm that blown away by the iPad but I do give kudos to Apple for creating something decent that sites betwixt a laptop & an iphone. I know there's a lot of whinging going on about what it doesn't have (USB, SD reader, blah, blah) but I'm really impressed with the battery life. If they can apply that technology to the iPhone, even better. Bloggers/Journos who used the devices yesterday say it's blazing fast, hopefully this is a good indicator for what upcoming processor they'll put into the next iPhone revision. (Apple are making their own chips now). Also, without Apple we'd never have decent multi-touch devices. Gonna be interesting to see what DELL/HP/IBM come up as a contender to the iPad.

but I do give kudos to Apple for creating something decent that sites betwixt a laptop & an iphone.

here's the thing tho, is there really a need for someting between a laptop and an iphone? your at home, you use your laptop, your out and about you use your iphone. where/when would you use this yolk? on the shitter?

p.s. i have neither.

I'm curious to know how you measure 'necessity'?

here's the thing tho, is there really a need for someting between a laptop and an iphone? your at home, you use your laptop, your out and about you use your iphone. where/when would you use this yolk? on the shitter?

p.s. i have neither.

What Froog said. If you want to prize open a niche between a laptop/netbook and a smartphone, then fair enough. However, I cannot see people who have both of these things needing the in between thing. It's not going to replace a phone but it could replace your laptop. Some of the reasons I think it won't replace a laptop are the USB connectivity, the difficulty of using it when out and about (nothing to rest it on) AND the inability to use multiple programs at once. As a media consumption device it's probably pretty good and it will sell but i don't see this having the impact that the iphone had.

Yeah, I completely agree. This device would be great for those computer-illiterate (e.g. Ma's/Grand Ma's/old people) as there's no fucking about with software installs other than pressing a button (and another for updating). Apple really does excel at uncomplicating their user experience as much as possible. If they released a 13" iPad with a keyboard I'd be totally sold - wouldn't use it as a primary device but for watching tv/browsing internet on the go/throw it in a bag. Although I do that with my laptop anyway.

you can get a hardware keyboard for it, there's also a softwrae keyboard that pops up when you need it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipad#Hardware

still hate it and hope it fails.

another thought, if this was to get insanely popular, i.e. people getting this instead of laptops, you're totally locked into apple apps and products, ibooks, itunes, i apps. no openess.

What Froog said. If you want to prize open a niche between a laptop/netbook and a smartphone, then fair enough. However, I cannot see people who have both of these things needing the in between thing. It's not going to replace a phone but it could replace your laptop. Some of the reasons I think it won't replace a laptop are the USB connectivity, the difficulty of using it when out and about (nothing to rest it on) AND the inability to use multiple programs at once. As a media consumption device it's probably pretty good and it will sell but i don't see this having the impact that the iphone had.

But it IS a laptop, so the point is that you would but this instead of a new laptop. Yes, you don;t need this and a laptop, in the same way you don't need two phones, but that's hardly a reason for knocking it.
By the way, as far as I can see it will come with a hard case that can be used as a stand, and the dock (also for standing) fits a USB connector. [edit - which is fucking dumb alright]

It'll replace a laptop for those who only use laptops for the web. But, from what i've read, it's not capable of switching between apps which is kinda shit if you're sending emails, editing docs and listening to shitunes. AND it doesn't serve flash pages!!! What the fuck is that about? I'm not knocking it, i'm just saying it doesn't live up to the hype. As has been said before, it's just a gigantic itouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back