International Women's Day 2008 (2 Viewers)

No? Ok I will!

Deadly interesting blog post on female genital mutilation

Incredibly resourceful post on feminisms on an amazing blog with fuckin LOADS of awesome links

I know groups like the CBI (spit) argued that women generally, as a whole, focussed on different education/career paths that happen to be less commercially valued by the current capitalist system. This doesn't reflect my views.

something just popped into my head as I type.... there have been numerous divorce cases recently where "big businessmen" had to pay shed loads of money to their wives. Is this the law courts recognising the value of intangibles as real inputs to value creation (from a capitalist perspective)?

One of the things that makes me slightly uncomfortable with the equal pay debate is that on the surface it doesn't attempt to recognise the value to society of intangibles such as caring, home-building, motherhood etc. which is really more valuable that any narrow interpretation of commercial skills.

i'll probably have to re-read what i just typed as it probably doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense man. The work that women traditionally do is ridiculously undervalued- particularly caring for people in the home (even caring for people professionally, and that's vastly improved in recent years). What's the carers allowance in this country again? Oh that's right, it's MEANS-TESTED!! A job where you're on call 24 hours a day, with high emotional and physical demands, fairly means tested, should means test you a pretty fucking hefty salary. I wonder what the situation would be if there were more women in government, or if it was a job that men traditionally do*.

*men, I am not blaming you personally so please don't respond like I have.

Didnt the government commit to measuring the economic value of domestic work after allegedly signing up to the Beijing Platform for Action. But aint nuttin been done about it. Has the NWCI done it instead?

Didnt the government commit to measuring the economic value of domestic work after allegedly signing up to the Beijing Platform for Action. But aint nuttin been done about it. Has the NWCI done it instead?

is this recognition as opposed to payment?

It's in that bewk. It says, after the 1985 World Conference of the UN Decade for Women, international commitment was given to recognising, measuring and (on paper, at least) taking action on remunerating women engaged in domestic/caring work. The commitment was restated at the Beijing Platform for Action conference in 1995. Under Partnership 2000, the Irish government committed to setting up an interdepartmental working committee on measuring unpaid work. The CSO carried out a time-use survey in 2003, but no action has been taken since.

A lot less than I'd 'a remembered. So, yeah, 'recognition', not action.

Someone told me yesterday that the NWCI has gone about measuring this work, or putting a value on it. Maybe the UN's done the same, the UNDP or ILO or something. But I haven't a link for that.

Sorry, not on the website itself but it's in their factsheet on women and abortion/women and human rights on this page
Thank you!

The point being that the situation you've just pointed out is symptomatic of grave inequality in a competitive system that is based on the now outdated presumption that workers don't have to take lumps of time off at any point for having babies, because workers were traditionally men.
The system isn't based on any presumption at all, "outdated" or otherwise. It's just capitalism. If an employer don't have some very specific reason (e.g. law, unions, competition for good employees) for being nice to employees it won't be

Thank you!

The system isn't based on any presumption at all, "outdated" or otherwise. It's just capitalism. If an employer don't have some very specific reason (e.g. law, unions, competition for good employees) for being nice to employees it won't be

I agree with you to a point. Capitalist ideals drive policies and conditions that without barriers in the form of laws and unions, as you say, would be fucking people upside down and back to front every day (and it does for people who don't have the law to back them up, but that's another conversation altogether). That being said, a significant amount of those protections are protections that were designed predominantly for working men. I wouldn't expect it to be any different, given the predominance of men in the workforce until fairly recently, and it's wrong to deny the role of gender in how our labour laws and culture of work have evolved. However, even though women make up a significant part of the workforce today, where intervention is needed on employment or labour issues that apply only or predominantly to women or less so to men, the silence, inaction or tardiness on the part of policy makers is quite remarkable, comparatively.

Oh, I meant to say, re. the tags (chill out Aoife they're only a joke, that's what tags are for etc.)- fuck sexism. Fuck joking about beating women up. Fuck 'fucking and cooking'. Fuck 'stella artois'. Fuck the lot o' yis*.

*I just wanted to say fuck the lot of yis like Jimmy Rabbitte does when the Commitments finally break up. I don't mean it though. I :heart: you guys.

is the solution to have a hypothecated tax resource to supplement workers wages if they take temporary leave, or part time work for the benefit of socially significant work?

i know so little about labour laws and tax it is scary and I sense a shit load of bearucracy tailing anything i suggest...

more creative community based perspectives would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back