International Women's Day 2008 (1 Viewer)

I agree with you to a point. Capitalist ideals drive policies and conditions that without barriers in the form of laws and unions, as you say, would be fucking people upside down and back to front every day (and it does for people who don't have the law to back them up, but that's another conversation altogether). That being said, a significant amount of those protections are protections that were designed predominantly for working men. I wouldn't expect it to be any different, given the predominance of men in the workforce until fairly recently, and it's wrong to deny the role of gender in how our labour laws and culture of work have evolved. However, even though women make up a significant part of the workforce today, where intervention is needed on employment or labour issues that apply only or predominantly to women or less so to men, the silence, inaction or tardiness on the part of policy makers is quite remarkable, comparatively.

Capitalists in "not wanting to change their policies" shock.

· Abortion is illegal in Ireland except to save the life of the mother. Women have a right to travel to other countries for an abortion but 2 referenda in the last 10 years have tried to reverse these limited rights.

quote]

but thats cause were catholic, not sexist. its not like if a man says 'abort it now' your allowed suddenly. catholisism is just as bad as sexism though!

I'm not sure I understand you Pyrate, but I suspect that we may be agreeing on some level.

I'm not sure I'd separate sexism from catholicism though. I mean, sexism rarely presents itself in a raw, unadulterated form. Rarely, nowadays, will you get someone going 'birdz are shit and shouldn't be allowed to do anything'. Mechanisms to control women always have a disguise of legitimacy, be it legal, religious, moral, spiritual, cultural etc... see the constitution (it's the LAW that you stay at home and have babies), our abortion laws (it's IMMORAL to KILL your BABY), popular culture and advertising (you HAVE to be skinny to be beautiful).

I'd LOVE if Thumped rarity Chickenham could step in here because I had a conversation with him recently about how actually, this Jesus lad was pretty rad and pro-women, and the horribly sexist and anti-woman catholic church that we know has only come to be that way over time. So the notion that catholicism is inherently sexist may not be entirely true, but it has certainly evolved to be one of the most destructive and powerful forces in gender segregation and perpetuation of disempowerment of women.

I'd LOVE if Thumped rarity Chickenham could step in here because I had a conversation with him recently about how actually, this Jesus lad was pretty rad and pro-women, and the horribly sexist and anti-woman catholic church that we know has only come to be that way over time. So the notion that catholicism is inherently sexist may not be entirely true, but it has certainly evolved to be one of the most destructive and powerful forces in gender segregation and perpetuation of disempowerment of women.

Did you meet my da at the wedding? He'd have talked your ear off about this kinda stuff.

Buzzo said:
Yer man, Fr. Brendan Purcel, philosophy lecturer and madman in UCD, was on the radio a few years ago talking about women and the Catholic Church. He reckons it's grand to have women priests, and accepts Rome is a sexist, political institution. He went through how the Marian tradition on the Church was, over time, transformed into the maleocentric maleocracy that it is now. And he said it was unlikely anything's going to change because pricks like Ratzinger fix the rules of the game through their wanton interpretation and deliberate redrafting of holy scripts, encliclicals etc. I mean, at least the Marists focus their shit trying to live like Mary did, so there's a progressive thread in there. I dunno, it's interesting stuff when you look at the Church as a purely political instutiton.

Anyway, around that time, someone else explained to me how the Catholic Church is, basically, an attempt by men to sieze the biological functions of women. As in, children born as sinners, baptism as a 'rebirth' by a priest etc. Anyway, no fucking way I'm gonna let my personal relationship with God be mediated through a centralised quasi-temporal nation-state bureaucracy like the Catholic Church*. Then there's the history of all those heresies and how the Church and States of yonderyears went about destroying paganism and Gnostics all over the gaff.

PS: I don't believe in that god shit.

ha ha, did ye hear about the catholic churches "new" 7 deadly sins?
papa ratzi must have gone on t'internet!

The Original Deadly 7

1. Pride
  2. Wrath
  3. Lust
  4. Gluttony
  5. Envy
  6. Sloth
  7. Greed
21st Century Sinning

1. Genetic Modification
  2. Experimenting on Humans
  3. Polluting the Environment
  4. Causing Social Injustice
  5. Causing Poverty
  6. Becoming Obscenely Wealthy
  7. Taking Drugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back