indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull.. (1 Viewer)

i spent most of last night desperately trying to convince myself that this was grand, but by god it wasn't.

i thought the cast did an amazing job with what they were given, particularly ford.

but lucas and spielberg ruined it. the cgi was terrible and overused, which was a big disappointment considering spielberg had said there was to be barely any at all. the dialogue was terrible and had none of the sass of the old films. i refused to see raiders when it first came out as it was too scary looking, this has none of that. marian was as strong and independent character as indy in raiders, her role this time seemed merely to gaze dreamily at him.

the second set piece, in the 1950s town, seemed tackily shoehorned in just to remind us what era we were looking at.

i think mainly what gets me is how they wrote indiana himself this time. what made him great in the originals was that his sarkiness and humour arose from the fact that he could be a bit of prick, who'd do the right thing in the end. this time out he's a bit of a fussy auld fella, grumpy rather than pricky. minor difference maybe, but it's what made indy rock

if you made it to the end of this post, isn't it almost as disappointing as the movie?

incidentally, magazines like empire have run fantastic reviews of this bollocks, there must be modern day payola. any forum reviews i've read are 95% hating on it, yet most of the press seems good.

Was never a huge Indy fan, but saw this last night and the general consensus was that it was pretty good. Not amazing by any means, but a good way to pass a couple of hours.

Plenty of flaws, but good fun mostly.

incidentally, magazines like empire have run fantastic reviews of this bollocks, there must be modern day payola. any forum reviews i've read are 95% hating on it, yet most of the press seems good.

Big time. Empire are far too up Luc-Bergs hole to diss anything they do, lest they don't get either of the beards holding an Empire Award saying how much it means to him in a future issue.

I like the 'berg, but Lucas has to be in the top 5 cunts in the world, with a horrible lazy contempt for his audience. Read about him and producer Gary Kurtz's falling out over what he turned Jedi into. Spectacle over story.

'Good enough' became his ethos.

Fat necked fucking Golden Girls extra looking motherfucker.
800px-George_Lucas.jpg

This really wasn't very good, the first 20 minutes were alright but it just dragged on , the CGI was rubbish, Ray Winstone's character seemed to only say "Jonesy" in his cocknee accent and John Hurt's character seemed to be based on Fr Faye the monkey priest from Father Ted.

Harrison Ford was cool though....

jesus, that broke my heart.
first hour was fun, but after they got to south America it just got ridiculous.
had a real "here we go again" kinda buzz to it.
terrible cgi as well, unforgivable considering spielberg usually has pretty decent effects in his movies.
the more i think about it the more i want to cry.

here be spoilers

If Ford sleepwalked through this, then Shia The Beef coma-ed his way through it like some sort of reverse-charisma vortex. Or is he just a really really bad actor?

CGI critters? Get fucked. Aliens? FFS!
Yes, Indy has always had a fantastical element to it, and theoretically it should be no more lame than a knight of the round table still being alive and guarding the grail in Last Crusade, but there's a big difference between the romance of crusty parchment based legends and the cold shiny science of aliens that just didn't seem to be in the spirit of Indy. George Lucas is a fucking eejit.

That said, the set pieces I really enjoyed and although the fanboys will be up in arms, as a whole it was pretty ok, forgettable fun. Pity there wasn't more character based stuff for Ford to do though.

Seemed like any other of the films in the series to me. No better no worse. I did almost scream at one part... the flying monkey bit. This little girl was bored in the theatre and unbeknown to me, was crawling around. All of a sudden this little brown haired head popped up in my line of sight. I thought she was a 3D monkey for a brief second. I nearly ducked, ffs.

i loved it! i didnt like the stupid mole thing and overall it was maybe a little too knowing - it seemed one of the gags was imagining the film makers standing off set checking off their checklist of snake, chase, bugs, tunnels, booby traps etc but despite all that it was very enjoyable, definitely better than the temple of doom. my favorite bits were the the cafe fight scene, the sword fight, the monkey swinging (i thought "oh no... when i saw what was about to unfold but then i loved it) and best of all was the waterfall bit! god that was hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back