Incredibly Stupid Question About CD Players (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
I have this idea that all CD players are basically the same. By that I mean there is no difference in sound quality. If you buy an expensive one you are paying for extra features, but an increase in audio quality. I think this came from someone telling me once that they all use the same lasers or something. I am begining to think that this idea is totally wrong though.

Becuase .... I now have a really cheapo Philips DVD/CD/Video combo thing hooked up to my stereo and put my nice Yamaha CD deck in the attic. But ... I was listening to something on it the other day pretty loud and suddenly thought "this sounds shit".

So, are they all the same?

"anoraks" claim you should spend more on your cd player than on your amp,speakers,etc.....i'd believe this.

was using a marantz cheapo cd player for years, then got a 300 euro Sony and the difference was definately noticeable.

Cool. Thanks all.

I might have to get that old yoke out of the attic then I suppose.

Yeah, the lazers aren't really an issue. The quality of the DAC's (digital -> analogue convertors) would be the biggest factor - considering that a rubbish DAC costs a few euro and you can spend up to hundreds for a decent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back