Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.63 star(s) Rating: 3.63/5 8 Votes
Title: Superunknown
Artist: Soundgarden
Released: 1994

Tracks:
1 - Let Me Drown - 3:51
2 - My Wave - 5:12
3 - Fell on Black Days - 4:42
4 - Mailman - 4:25
5 - Superunknown - 5:06
6 - Head Down - 6:08
7 - Black Hole Sun - 5:18
8 - Spoonman - 4:06
9 - Limo Wreck - 5:47
10 - The Day I Tried to Live - 5:19
11 - Kickstand - 1:34
12 - Fresh Tendrils - 4:16
13 - 4th of July - 5:08
14 - Half - 2:14
15 - Like Suicide - 7:01

Overview:
Superunknown is the fourth album by American rock band Soundgarden, released on March 8, 1994 through A&M Records. It is the band's second album with bassist Ben Shepherd. Soundgarden began work on the album after touring in support of its previous album, Badmotorfinger (1991). Superunknown continued a departure from the band's earlier releases while displaying a more diverse range of influences.

Superunknown was a critical and commercial success and became the band's breakthrough album. It debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 310,000 copies in its opening week and reached high positions on charts worldwide. Five singles were released from the album: "The Day I Tried to Live", "My Wave", "Fell on Black Days", "Spoonman", and "Black Hole Sun", the latter two of which won Grammy Awards and helped Soundgarden reach mainstream popularity. In 1995, the album was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rock Album. The album has been certified five times platinum by the RIAA in the United States and has sold around 9 million copies worldwide and remains Soundgarden's most successful album. In 2003, the album was ranked number 336 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The album was ranked number 38 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Albums of the Nineties, and number five on Guitar World magazine's top ten list of guitar albums of 1994.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Heard this a few times.....just a few.
I always repeat my wave. The drums are rockin'.
Some voice, a 90's Ronnie James Dio

I'd have gone with Louder Than Love or Badmotorfinger myself, but you lot know best I suppose.

OK so this was one of my picks, and I do love Louder Than Love as well, but Superunknown was such a big gateway album for me, and it still holds up. It's long, typical for its era, but there's no filler. I'll have more to say when I've got downtime tomorrow.

I dislike this band. The only one of theirs I own is Louder Than Love which I bought some time after it came out and I just lumped in with all those other rubbish post-grunge bands like Pearl Jam. People I respect rate them though so I'll listen with an open mind. Going to have to skip Black Hole Sun though.

I dislike this band. The only one of theirs I own is Louder Than Love which I bought some time after it came out and I just lumped in with all those other rubbish post-grunge bands like Pearl Jam. People I respect rate them though so I'll listen with an open mind. Going to have to skip Black Hole Sun though.

Good idea to skip the singles actually, they're not the strongest tracks overall.

My fondness for sound garden fades every year. I prefer the albums either side of this one. From memory it has some very good deep cuts and a great drum sound.

The drum sound on this one is odd, I think: for the most part it sounds nicely thick and full, but it does verge on St Anger a few times: sounds very tin-can-bashy on 'Let Me Drown', for instance, though not enough to ruin the song.

I'm with Go on this. Might be a generational thing. This didn't sound new or interesting to me in 94. And Black Hole Sun did my fucking head in. Dear Prudence for moany cunts.

However...I'm gonna listen to the whole thing for the larf. Maybe it's better than I remember.

I'm with Pete. Louder than Love is a hilarious album.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back