In defence of hipsters (3 Viewers)

You cycled behind a guy with a freewheel and no brakes? How'd he slow down?

cycled behind another lad the same way today. Its a very measured cycling style. They never get that much speed up and start slowing down way before they have to stop. They come to a dead stop by a jerking motion down on the pedals to stop them moving.

I hate it when my brakes need tightening. I couldn't do what those lads do. Its all well and good when no one's acting the bollox, but I have at least 1 close call a week, almost all of which require me to brake suddenly.

Both the lads I saw in the last 2 days were couriers.

A freewheel with no brakes?

NOW THAT IS DENSE

I remember the first time I had a go of a fixed wheel(I refuse to call them fixies)One of the lads I worked with in securispeed had one.

Up on it I went after a few jars in stoneys...off I came soon after.Stupid fucking yokes.

cycled behind another lad the same way today. Its a very measured cycling style. They never get that much speed up and start slowing down way before they have to stop. They come to a dead stop by a jerking motion down on the pedals to stop them moving.

I hate it when my brakes need tightening. I couldn't do what those lads do. Its all well and good when no one's acting the bollox, but I have at least 1 close call a week, almost all of which require me to brake suddenly.

Both the lads I saw in the last 2 days were couriers.

Are you sure they were freewheels? I know a hell of a lot of couriers and none ride freewheels with no brakes but loads of them ride fixies with no brakes (I live with two such lads. The wiggling you describe sounds like the back wheel lift I know they use. What bikes were they on?

I cycled home behind a lad yesterday who had no brakes. I stayed behind him out of curiosity as I wanted to see how he acted approaching lights, etc. He was fine actually, but that was without anything unexpected happening. A car door opening out in front of him and he'd be fucked.

You can back pedal on a fixed hub but it will turn the wheel backwards. You can freewheel backpedal as you can on normal freewheel hubs. If you are cycling using your fixed hub you need to keep turning the pedals, as they won't stop turning til the bike stops.

Thats the point of the flip-flop hub. Once side you can use the single-speed but you can coast (ie: the bike can move without you pedalling). The other side is for madsers.

I have a fixie and very good brakes.
Cycling a fixed gear is fun. Stopping when you need to is also awesome.

i cycled with no brakes for a few months, but that was cos i couldn't be arsed fixing them. then i crashed quite badly.

if anyone's into, like, irony, i notice this thread has gone from slagging off hipsters to thrilling about the stylishness of the 20s and discussing 'fixies'....

it was ironic when the thread was about heckling hipstes, yet cunningly called 'in dephents of hipsters' - at the point that you called it ironic, it had become literal.

tumblr_l7tc0zKvbb1qzzhzdo1_500.jpg

edit: this should be in the tattoo thread

Are you sure they were freewheels? I know a hell of a lot of couriers and none ride freewheels with no brakes but loads of them ride fixies with no brakes (I live with two such lads. The wiggling you describe sounds like the back wheel lift I know they use. What bikes were they on?

sorry Moose, we got our wires crossed here. Both were on 'fixed-gears', not freewheels, and both were without brakes.

sorry Moose, we got our wires crossed here. Both were on 'fixed-gears', not freewheels, and both were without brakes.

I thought as much. Yeah the wiggling is lifting the back wheel so you can slow down without ripping the legs off yourself. I've cycled around a good bit on fixed gears just using your legs to slow down and it's not too bad. I did have a front brake on there just in case I needed to stop in a hurry though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back