Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization (1 Viewer)

Shorty

writing at n-1 dimensions
Already posted this in Lifestyle, so perhaps a more fertile ground there but thought I'd put this up. Adbusters politics is probably only about one step above (or below) CrimethInc in terms of grasp on things and nuance but hey

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

If anything, the Guardian gets it slightly closer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/03/fashion?gusrc=rss&feed=commentisfree

Total fucking Mexico!

In the information age, young people's interests and tastes have atomised: as a teenager in 21st-century Britain you can devote all your cultural enthusiasm to Japanese punk, South American sport, or Iranian films if you so wish. Mass-grouped tribal rebellion against a conservative cultural elite isn't necessary when you are free to plough the furrow of your choice.

the adbusters article is a load of shit.
total make your mind up about the subject before you research it,research it along those lines,come up with some self serving bullshit result.
i mean to write an article about a subculture which one can argue doesn't exist and to not bring that up.very little definition given... very few people defining themselves as part of a 'hipster' subculture..again self serving.
adbusters is a load of shit in general.
from researching subculture myself,you interview people actually involved in putting things on/in bands/making art... not go around and try find the stupidest looking hangers on you can to prove your own point.
and the idea that a culture has to be political to be worthwhile?
sorry we're all not little fucktards blindly following some bullshit failed ideology.
adbusters not still busy crying because some teenager buys a can of coke every now and again?
pseudo-intellectual hippies fuck off

that anarchist thing;
"A person juggled eggs (all over the merchandise) while informing the customers that the circus was in town, but they were the freak show. Displays were broken, tables were flipped, merchandise was scattered all over the store, and piles of shameless Obama gear was looted and destroyed.

Let it be known, hipsters, your time has come. No longer will we sit by idly while you appropriate symbols of the working class, queer culture or revolutionary struggle while creating no cool of your own. We'll meet you on the front lines of gentrification and cultural erasure and fight you at each encounter. And Richard Hayne, don't think we've forgotten about the disgusting amounts of money you've donated to Focus on the Family and Rick Santorum, and all their anti-queer crusades."

because they have the right to claim ownership over some sort of culture and others don't?pretty flawed logic.
attacking urban outfitters?its a fucking shop.it sells lots of silly things and clothes.who gives a shit.
appropriating symbols of the working class?how?hilarious.
the only people with enough time on their hands to worry about things like this aren't fucking working class.

all this shit seems so fucking juvenile, like a teenager whinging because everyone got into their favourite band or some bollox.

so the adbusters article, if I understand correctly on first read, is basically saying "youth subcultures are pointless and shallow"

thanks for telling me that adbusters. I would never have figured that out on my own.

this bit:

"The half-built condos tower above us like foreboding monoliths of our yuppie futures. I take a look at one of the girls wearing a bright pink keffiyah and carrying a Polaroid camera and think, “If only we carried rocks instead of cameras, we’d look like revolutionaries.” But instead we ignore the weapons that lie at our feet – oblivious to our own impending demise. "

made me laugh out loud. was this written by someone who moonlights for "the Onion"?

Anti-Hipster Hooligans Trash an Urban Outfitters in Milwaukee
Authored by: Admin on Sunday, August 17 2008 @ 09:39 AM CDT
An anarchist friend who currently works for Urban Outfitters tells me that they have a race-based policy about pursuing shoplifters. If you are a white person who takes something, they won't mess with you.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE NOT COOL

this bit:

"The half-built condos tower above us like foreboding monoliths of our yuppie futures. I take a look at one of the girls wearing a bright pink keffiyah and carrying a Polaroid camera and think, “If only we carried rocks instead of cameras, we’d look like revolutionaries.” But instead we ignore the weapons that lie at our feet – oblivious to our own impending demise. "

made me laugh out loud.

Same here, and since when have "skinny jeans, cotton spandex leggings, fixed-gear bikes, vintage flannel, fake eyeglasses and a keffiyeh" been "icons of working or revolutionary classes". LOL

can anyone without consulting these articles or a dictionary define "hipster" for me by the way?
i mean thats the problem.it's a derogatory term,theres no specific qualifiers,and nobody defines themself as such.so writing an article about it as subculture?
''crying about some fashionable things i don't like'' should be the title.

if someone I didn't know approached me at a party and asked me if I was a hipster, I'd probably be reluctant to speak to them. I wonder did the journalist realise that maybe this is the reason people weren't exactly bursting themselves to converse with him.

some of the infoshop comments are hilarious.

"look around, the hipster infection in the movement is greater than you think? i mean, a lawyer anarchist? sounds like a hipster to me.''
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's what i thought. or people who are kind of subcultural bluffers, like who know the bare minimum about some kind of musical or cultural movement so they can give them impression of being cool to "normal" people, but really have little interest in it (eg the much trotted out example of folks who think liking Isis makes them fans of "doom metal")

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back