Ice-free Arctic could be here in 23 years (1 Viewer)

flashback

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...hange.sciencenews?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Experts said they were "stunned" by the loss of ice, with an area almost twice as big as Britain disappearing in the last week alone. So much ice has melted this summer that the north-west passage across the top of Canada is fully navigable, and observers say the north-east passage along Russia's Arctic coast could open later this month. If the increased rate of melting continues, the summertime Arctic could be totally free of ice by 2030.

Yesterday's announcement will also increase political interest in the Arctic, with a number of countries currently jostling to exploit the oil and gas reserves believed to lie under the ocean, which could become more accessible as the icy cover retreats. Last month Russia claimed a huge area around the north pole, and Denmark and Canada are preparing similar claims, which rely on showing that a chain of underwater mountains that runs across the region are connected to their respective continental shelves.

I sort of cant help looking at a lot of shit in the news with a sort of an abstracted feeling more and more. Because... I just have this feeling that we are completely fucking screwed on this one.
Every time the scientists say anything, it's basically "Holy SHIT, remember I said X years till we are brown bread?, Yeah, I was way to conservative there".

23 years till there is no ice left in the Arctic??? 23 fucking years? Oh man.

I am glad I bought a gaff on top of a cliff.
Either way it will be interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...hange.sciencenews?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

I sort of cant help looking at a lot of shit in the news with a sort of an abstracted feeling more and more. Because... I just have this feeling that we are completely fucking screwed on this one.
Every time the scientists say anything, it's basically "Holy SHIT, remember I said X years till we are brown bread?, Yeah, I was way to conservative there".

23 years till there is no ice left in the Arctic??? 23 fucking years? Oh man.

I am glad I bought a gaff on top of a cliff.
Either way it will be interesting.

I'm feeling the same way, I can't see enough being done about it at this stage or whether anything that si done done is gonna make any real difference.

I'm an optimist but realistically we're fucked.

We're not all fucked. It's all a scare story, like every other bloody scare story and even if it isn't a scare story it can't kill us all. There'll still be people in the Andes and the like and they hopefully will be able to salvage our waterlogged X-boxes for themselves.

I might have a solution:

Build a massive fridge in the Arctic, with a huge ice maker in it. Viola, ice 24/7/365.

The electricity required can be provided from the gas and oil reserves up there, so that's sorted. We won't need to worry about the CFCs from the fridge causing a hole in the ozone cos the fridge will keep replacing the ice when it melts from the global warming.

I'm still working on it.

In the meantime I'm only gonna live in the first floor of my house.

it seems mother nature fucked up big time with humanity doesn't it? I'm sure when the human race wipes itself off the face of the earth then things can gradually go back to normal. maybe give the insects a break next time?

that's if there's any nature left of course!

It sounds like doomsday scare tactics to me. I have no doubt we're fucked, but this 23 years thing sounds a bit "worst case scenario" to me. All this on the basis of one summer? Things could be back to normal next summer.

it seems mother nature fucked up big time with humanity doesn't it? I'm sure when the human race wipes itself off the face of the earth then things can gradually go back to normal. maybe give the insects a break next time?

that's if there's any nature left of course!

anyone one ever read olaf stapletons "of first and last men"? we're so insignificant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back