In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

nah,they're just not fixie.single speed's i guess they should be called.

yes. Most fixies have flip-flop hubs. One side is fixed (you can't backpedal or coast). The other is freewheel (you can backpedal and coast). Having brakes or not doesn't have any bearing on your bike being fixie or not, but the gobshite hipster fixie brigade would turn their pierced noses up any someone with brakes.

Sleaze Brought Preppy Back

take your buzz phrases elsewhere, you.

This could be Dublin in 2010 (it's Bray in 1936)

1936BernyGerryEileenDennis.jpg

In that spirit (not horn-wise but fashion-wise):

In the Real Dublin Streets blog, i know this guy - he's too much in his own league to be a hipster.
Dublin institution more like.

Untitled-4.jpg

yes. Most fixies have flip-flop hubs. One side is fixed (you can't backpedal or coast). The other is freewheel (you can backpedal and coast). Having brakes or not doesn't have any bearing on your bike being fixie or not, but the gobshite hipster fixie brigade would turn their pierced noses up any someone with brakes.

You can back pedal on a fixed hub, I've seen it done millions of times. Anyway my point was that's more than likely a fixed hub (only one sprocket so defo not a flip flop) as if it were a single speed/freewheel there'd be no way of stopping it so you'd have a brake on there. Please tell me you've not seen a single speed/freewheel with no brakes around.

Can we split this into 3 threads?

1. Contemporary hipster arseholes

2. Vintage hornage

3. Bicycle identification and maintenence

You can back pedal on a fixed hub, I've seen it done millions of times. Anyway my point was that's more than likely a fixed hub (only one sprocket so defo not a flip flop) as if it were a single speed/freewheel there'd be no way of stopping it so you'd have a brake on there. Please tell me you've not seen a single speed/freewheel with no brakes around.

I cycled home behind a lad yesterday who had no brakes. I stayed behind him out of curiosity as I wanted to see how he acted approaching lights, etc. He was fine actually, but that was without anything unexpected happening. A car door opening out in front of him and he'd be fucked.

You can back pedal on a fixed hub but it will turn the wheel backwards. You can freewheel backpedal as you can on normal freewheel hubs. If you are cycling using your fixed hub you need to keep turning the pedals, as they won't stop turning til the bike stops.

Thats the point of the flip-flop hub. Once side you can use the single-speed but you can coast (ie: the bike can move without you pedalling). The other side is for madsers.

I cycled home behind a lad yesterday who had no brakes. I stayed behind him out of curiosity as I wanted to see how he acted approaching lights, etc. He was fine actually, but that was without anything unexpected happening. A car door opening out in front of him and he'd be fucked.

You can back pedal on a fixed hub but it will turn the wheel backwards. You can freewheel backpedal as you can on normal freewheel hubs. If you are cycling using your fixed hub you need to keep turning the pedals, as they won't stop turning til the bike stops.

Thats the point of the flip-flop hub. Once side you can use the single-speed but you can coast (ie: the bike can move without you pedalling). The other side is for madsers.

You cycled behind a guy with a freewheel and no brakes? How'd he slow down?

We should have a wee competition..dress up like fucking eejits and send our pictures in...anyone who gets posted on the blog wins a special prize!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back