Im Very Annoyed With Some People Here (1 Viewer)

Muzzle

I just came accross this site recently and i have to say im disgusted with alot of people here. It appears as though you`d give a band all the support in the world while their unsigned but as soon as they sign you feel you have to hate them. Its really no wonder that there are very few bands coming out of Ireland at the moment. As soon as they sign, the public find some reason to dislike them. Its really petty that people care more about where a band get their funds than their music. I really hate all this shit about major labels too. All these people complaining that they dont care about the music obviously have never met anybody from these labels. They care just as much as anybody else. And all this shit about MCD??!! Without them the Irish music scene would be alot quieter. I dont think people really understand how hard it is for bands these days. With the amount of costs involved in the running of a band they need every penny they can get, and if that means signing to a major label, fair enough. I think these days that bands are afraid to sign to major labels because of the lashbacks from the narrow minded people like a few here. Im sorry if this insults people but i felt i had to say it. Just accept bands for what they are.

go back to cluas pinko !!! we don't want your counter - revolution round here .. underground = good mainstream = bad daragh purcell = worse ..

Muzzle (13 Sep, 2001 08:20 p.m.):
It appears as though you`d give a band all the support in the world while their unsigned but as soon as they sign you feel you have to hate them.
Who are we talking about here? I can't remeber the last time a newly 'signed' underground Irish band was discussed here - all the recent releases have been self-financed and wamly received, apart from the odd whinge that they aren't being given away for free...

Its really no wonder that there are very few bands coming out of Ireland at the moment.
I thought there was loads, and more visibly and more self-sufficiently so than ever before.

Muzzle (13 Sep, 2001 08:20 p.m.):
And all this shit about MCD??!! Without them the Irish music scene would be alot quieter.
Hrrmmm, not so sure about that one either. Without them there might be half a dozen medium sized professional promoters working out of half a dozen independently owned venues, offering genuine choice and lower ticket prices (in line with the UK scenario).

I dont think people really understand how hard it is for bands these days. With the amount of costs involved in the running of a band they need every penny they can get, and if that means signing to a major label, fair enough. I think these days that bands are afraid to sign to major labels because of the lashbacks from the narrow minded people like a few here.
Actually most people who post here are in bands. Most haven't signed to major labels because they haven't been asked. I refer you to the latest edition of the Black Rag for further enlightenment. http://www.theblackrag.com/vol6/beauty.htm

LIKE THAT ARTICLE.... KEEROR

I refer you to the latest edition of the Black Rag for further enlightenment. http://www.theblackrag.com/vol6/beauty.htm[/quote]

Muzzle (13 Sep, 2001 08:20 p.m.)
"Its really no wonder that there are very few bands coming out of Ireland at the moment"

this is bullshit. there are lots.

"I really hate all this shit about major labels too. All these people complaining that they dont care about the music obviously have never met anybody from these labels. They care just as much as anybody else."

people who work in major labels care as much about music as people who take out bank loans or max out credit cards to buy equipment, record music release albums of great beauty for little if any returns???

this is bullshit

"And all this shit about MCD??!! Without them the Irish music scene would be alot quieter."

b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t.

"I dont think people really understand how hard it is for bands these days"

keeror is right a lot of people on this list are in bands or know people in bands and do fab things to help them out all the time...hurrah for that.

" Im sorry if this insults people but i felt i had to say it. "

I'm sorry if this insults you, you should feel free to live in your corperate funded entertainment world where you can forever listen to jj72 till your teeth rot, but please except that some people don't see signing to a major label as the be all and end of all of being in a band, some people, amazingly enough, do it as a means of self expression and an outlet for creativity or sometimes just cause its plain old good rawkin' fun.

pretty crazy huh!!??

Firstly you don`t have to look at this site
So why not spend your time looking at another web site
Secondly in the light of the events that took place in the US on Tuesday, maybye you can see how unimportant your points are?

"in the light of the events that took place in the US on Tuesday, maybye you can see how unimportant your points are?"

slate the post if you want, but that's pretty low.

there is the possibility that muzzle is just someone having a sly ironic joke on us. however, i don't think so. how unfortunate. muzzle, the fact that you need to ask... now quick, run off over thataway, i think someone in hot press is having an invited-audience-only wank.

here, again, for a bit of context, is the boy albini...

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

I REMEMBER READING THAT ALBINI'S FEE FOR PRODUCING NIRVANA'S IN UTERO ALBUM WAS $100,000 AND HE'S PRODUCED A FEW "MAJOR LABEL" ARTISTS PJ HARVEY, bush FOR PROBABLY THE SAME FEE IF NOT MORE .....SO MR. ALBINI CAN WELL AFFORD TO MAKE NOISEY UNCOMMERCIAL RECORDS WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT PAYING THE BILLS AND CAN VENT HIS DISGUST AT THE WORKINGS OF THE CORPERATE MAJOR LABEL RECORD COMPANIES, WHILE HE RATHER SLYLY POCKETS THE MAJOR LABEL DOLLAR ............CLEVER MAN

anon (16 Sep, 2001 04:57 p.m.):
I REMEMBER READING THAT ALBINI'S FEE FOR PRODUCING NIRVANA'S IN UTERO ALBUM WAS $100,000 AND HE'S PRODUCED A FEW "MAJOR LABEL" ARTISTS PJ HARVEY, bush FOR PROBABLY THE SAME FEE IF NOT MORE .....SO MR. ALBINI CAN WELL AFFORD TO MAKE NOISEY UNCOMMERCIAL RECORDS WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT PAYING THE BILLS AND CAN VENT HIS DISGUST AT THE WORKINGS OF THE CORPERATE MAJOR LABEL RECORD COMPANIES, WHILE HE RATHER SLYLY POCKETS THE MAJOR LABEL DOLLAR ............CLEVER MAN

Mr. Albini has a job like the rest of us.
Mine is as shit as working for a major label but it's not musical.

Am I better?

Or an I a tit and you were being sarcasic?

marc (15 Sep, 2001 05:24 p.m.):
"in the light of the events that took place in the US on Tuesday, maybye you can see how unimportant your points are?"

slate the post if you want, but that's pretty low.

You are right it was low and I am a prick,
His post is full of the utter shit,
But I was wrong to have mentioned what happened in the US as it has nothing to do with what he said, so my apologies I was just a wee bit upset,

it's great to see so much unity at this time.

the world is indeed that black and white
corporate=bad
mainstream=bad
oragnic yogurt=good
'indie' music'=good

respec.

if, for example, Dudley were to sign o ...oh i don't know, BMG as a reult of this record, and they got to do what they love and get paid ( not much) for it (see Albini) .... *how would people here react?

*albini says: after your world tour, a couple of albumsand a bus you're in debt. most bands have to go into hock anyway... it would be nice to have some legacy as a result, even it was just damaged brain cells and the stained bus furniture. Being on and being dropped from a major label need not be the end of the world.

i'm glad we've had this talk.

oh please,here we go again people invoking the name of steve albini.....zzzzzzz

and r.e. supporting indie and slating bands who sign to majors.... can anyone name one dublin band that were 'supported' by thumped and then slated when they signed to a major???

blink??

jj72???

westlife???

i honestly don't care.
but i didn't say there was a precedent, i was trying to appriciate what the reaction would be. had some previously championed band been signed to a major, i wouldn't have to ask that question.

savvy?

Hector Grey (17 Sep, 2001 02:32 p.m.):
i honestly don't care.
but i didn't say there was a precedent, i was trying to appriciate what the reaction would be. had some previously championed band been signed to a major, i wouldn't have to ask that question.

savvy?

Ahh but aren't the cake guilty of complaining about the price of MCD gigs and all the monopoly it has and still play there gigs?

And I think I might be the first to raise the issue?

Muzzle (If you're still reading this thread):
You sound like someone who is taking the anti-corporate stance of many of the people on this site a little personally. Are you in a band that has just signed to a major or is considering it? I ask because this debate could actually become interesting if you'd care to get involved. I mean a discussion is not a one-sided thing, and everybody on this site has been heard before making these points....what do you have to say about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back