ikea (1 Viewer)

i'd prefer if people used some creativity and hack the shit out of their ikea crap.

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com

yeah turning a locker into a place for the cat to take a dump!!!

i got no complaints with the various billys, bennos, we got for storage. got a great
workbench/table too. and a bed - which is fine. it was all assembled properly so...

if you're on a budget, it's pretty great for decent looking (read: neutral) furnishings.
i certainly cant afford to be a snob about it!

i certainly cant afford to be a snob about it!

ah no, i'm not being a snob about it, I'm using my right as a consumer to complain/moan about shit.

We have bought lots of IKEA stuff over the years. My desk is a big slab of IKEA pine sitting on two IKEA tressles. I cook with some IKEA implements and eat with IKEA cutlery and there are som fancy IKEA candles on my kitchen table.

The economics of IKEA is that they sell stuff cheap, it breaks quickly so people fork out more money - it's a very successsful business model of planned obsolescence. The stuff it is sold at a specific price point so people don't feel the need to complain/question. Some of their stuff is more durable than others.

It's very interesting to watch people actually buying into the alluring IKEA lifestyle - i.e. yes, you can have what you imagine good design to be at a price you imagine to be good for your budget. THey have fine tuned their retail experience to match this desire.

I think the reason it works is you can usually get exactly what you need because they have such a wide range of stuff and it's all configurable. I remember spending forever going to furniture shops in Dublin a couple of years ago looking for a large living room shelving type deal for TV/books/hi-fi/records etc. Eventually you would find something the right size, with the right sized shelves for records, space for TV and it would 2 grand or something.

Trip to Ikea in Glasgow = problem solved.

What the hell is an expedit?

I think the reason it works is you can usually get exactly what you need because they have such a wide range of stuff and it's all configurable. I remember spending forever going to furniture shops in Dublin a couple of years ago looking for a large living room shelving type deal for TV/books/hi-fi/records etc. Eventually you would find something the right size, with the right sized shelves for records, space for TV and it would 2 grand or something.

Trip to Ikea in Glasgow = problem solved.

What the hell is an expedit?

they try to design systems rather than products. an old scandinavian design idea.

it's also handy in that it eliminates any sector competition.

you have to have your eyes open about Ikea and have realistic expectations.

Basically, in a nutshell, something that cost you €100 is not going to become a family heirloom, and to expect it to means you're a fucking idiot.

you have to have your eyes open about Ikea and have realistic expectations.

Basically, in a nutshell, something that cost you €100 is not going to become a family heirloom, and to expect it to means you're a fucking idiot.

exactly. I'm really happy with my desk. mainly because I put some pieces together that don't require construction. the only thing that will break it is fire. That's why I was suggesting people should start using their noggins and being creative.

Shit,I was there when the fire alarm went off too. Didn't notice any money off deals on the furniture or I probably would have got some Expedit's then. I decided to leave it a few weeks until it's a bit less chaotic.

I' need a 4x2 and a 2x2 to finish off.
If you're gonna get 2x2's make sure the long part of the + in the middle goes left to right. The shelves will have more support that way. Does that make any sense?

* if you enlarge the image in the link shitepipe posted you can just see what I mean.

i put mine together that way - thanks for the advice!
should have my whole set up sorted by the end of the week, job.

so sick of their shit breaking / getting wobbly.

You're putting it together wrong :p

My parents have 30 year old Ikea shelves and cabinets that have survived 2 countries, 3 homes and 3 children. One of the cabinets lost a door to a unicycle accident, but stood up to repair. They bought them as a bit of stop-gap until they could save some money for "proper" furniture. Still haven't got the proper furniture, but they might get some new shelves now that Ikea are in Dublin. I've some 20 year old Gorm system shelves that I got second hand (3 countries, 4 homes) that are still going strong. My ma hated them by the end, which is why I got them. She thinks they're too utilitarian looking. I think they're great.

I think the basic stuff lasts, but some of the more snazzier stuff is just style with no substance, it doesn't stand up to more than a few years' use.

Most common thing people don't do is use wood glue(usually provided) and fix to walls when advised. Also,most people don't read instructions properly or don't understand them. (some instructions can be useless though)

I've put together stuff costing a few grand that's about equal quality to most Ikea stuff I've seen. It's not wobbly when I build it either.

Yeah I've had my 'expedits' for a year or so now, holding out perfectly with about 1700 records and a hundred or so books sitting on them. As Gary said somewhere here its just about the way the shelves distribute the weight better than the ones I've bought itn argos, b&q which have all broken within six months even after reinforcing the underside of the shelves with extra wood.

Although I couldnt get the thing up the stairs in the house so had the build it in a tiny bedroom upstairs, now I gotta move out and dismantle the fucking thing and really really hope it fits back together okay.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back