ikea (1 Viewer)

the couches are flatpack, and not great quality. we bought a 3 seater karlstaad one in january, which turned out to have a knot in the wood in the support beam, and a crack soon appeared. ikea sent a carpenter out to fix it, who said his workload has tripled since ikea started farming jobs out to him, the amount of busted couches is crazy.

they don't supply wood glue with them, and he said that's a crucial thing to do yourself when building them. they also use pine for the support frames, when they should be using something far more heavy duty.

it *looks* nice, mind

Yeah I've had my 'expedits' for a year or so now, holding out perfectly with about 1700 records and a hundred or so books sitting on them. As Gary said somewhere here its just about the way the shelves distribute the weight better than the ones I've bought itn argos, b&q which have all broken within six months even after reinforcing the underside of the shelves with extra wood.

Although I couldnt get the thing up the stairs in the house so had the build it in a tiny bedroom upstairs, now I gotta move out and dismantle the fucking thing and really really hope it fits back together okay.:confused:

I know this guy that has years of experience putting together furniture if you have any trouble putting it back together. When are you moving?

oh, also, one deadly ikea product. got these bedside lockers years ago from one in glasgow, took the wheels off and stacked them, and they perfectly fit vinyl, and my hi-fi.
they may not still do them, but great buy if you only have a few hundred records need storing. perfect for dvds too

pic attached, i hope....

Attachments

• records.jpg
    records.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 73
oh, also, one deadly ikea product. got these bedside lockers years ago from one in glasgow, took the wheels off and stacked them, and they perfectly fit vinyl, and my hi-fi.
they may not still do them, but great buy if you only have a few hundred records need storing. perfect for dvds too

pic attached, i hope....

do you remember the name of that thing?

My parents have 30 year old Ikea shelves and cabinets that have survived 2 countries, 3 homes and 3 children. One of the cabinets lost a door to a unicycle accident, but stood up to repair. They bought them as a bit of stop-gap until they could save some money for "proper" furniture. Still haven't got the proper furniture, but they might get some new shelves now that Ikea are in Dublin.

I've bought loads of Ikea stuff over the last 8 years since I've lived in London, for similar reasons and most of it's holding up really well. I did try to dis-assemble and re-assemble a wardrobe when I last moved house, that was a bit of a mistake.

I hate the whole Ikea shopping experience, but I love coming home and gloating over my hoarde of Swedish stylishness while drinking cheap pear cider and eating salty liquorice.

Ikea furniture is grand. Way better then Argos plus bargaintown etc are a rip.Only people who complain about Ikea furniture are the Brits, so lets not be like that and try waiting till something we've actually bought and assembled correctley gets wobbley and retightening the screws doesnt fix it - swish

We're off to ikea tomorrow to get some CD shelves and whatnot. Probably some impulse buys for the kitchen as well. We got some Habitat shelves about 6 years ago which are still rock solid - are Ikea about the same standard or better/worse?

In other Swedish design news, my 22-year old 185,000 mile SAAB sailed through it's NCT this morning, so hurrah for Sweden.

Thread highjack over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back